GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 944
1 members and 943 guests
No Members online

Old 07-25-2000, 01:58 PM
Jilla82

Question Hazing in Black Frats

Im thinking of pledging a frat, but I always hear about the hazing. Now there is no way in hell im going to let someone beat on me, but my girl friend says if you stand up to them they have no choice but to stop (she wants to be a Delta), but others say you just have to come off line. Can any of you frat members give me any info?? Dont have to tell me any of your secrets but how big of a part is the physical stuff?? What about the sororities??
Old 07-25-2000, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I gather about BGLO's, if pledging comes up and you don't want to do it, you don't have to. But on the other end, i assume they can decide not to initiate you. If other fraternities are anything like mine, you can go all the way up to initiation, and not be let in. In the case of my fraternity you have to do something REALLY bad to not be initiated once you get a bid, but it's not impossible.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 07-25-2000, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Jilla82- None of the 9 NPHC organizations condone hazing.

Corbin- IMHO, there is a difference between pledging and hazing. There is a good article on this at:

http://www.3n1promo.com/temple/pvh.html

ZetaAce

DISCLAIMER: My views are those of CK only and not of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. nor any other member.

[This message has been edited by ZetaAce (edited July 25, 2000).]
Old 07-25-2000, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
jilla82...

gone are the days of "School Daze"

i suggest you and your girl do some research on the Divine Nine, if those are the organizations that interests you.

Old 07-25-2000, 02:50 PM
julio25et

duing the pledge process it's a very slow on the hazing thing. they give you rules and regulations that are moderate from the beginning, but they increase as your time progresses and the amount of time you put into the frat increases. therefore, you won't wanto to de-pledge after all of the work you have done for them. therefore, you will actually do the stupid stuff that they ask you. i know first hand b/c i am in a fraternity. I do not know of ANY fraternity that does not haze, whether they admit it or not. it's a matter of how bad you want to be a brother! that's the point of pledging and that is to show how much these brothers are worth.
Old 07-25-2000, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
First thing first...women join SORORITIES...not Fraternities in the issue of BGLOs. Make no assumptions and try not to buy into all of the hype you may hear from those who are NOT members of a BGLOs. My Soror ZetaAce has provided you with the information you asked for. Although its been said about 1000 times on this list...do some research and you will find out for yourself if greek life is for you...FYI, in a NPHC you DO NOT DEPLEDGE...its a life long committment...not the thing to do because you are in college.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jilla82:
Im thinking of pledging a frat, but I always hear about the hazing. Now there is no way in hell im going to let someone beat on me, but my girl friend says if you stand up to them they have no choice but to stop (she wants to be a Delta), but others say you just have to come off line. Can any of you frat members give me any info?? Dont have to tell me any of your secrets but how big of a part is the physical stuff?? What about the sororities??

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 07-25-2000, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

ZetaAce: Some "pledging" processes can be considered hazing. Of course your definition, my definition, and letter of the law can all be very different.

Finer Woman: What do you mean you do not depledge? Can a person not quit an NPHC org. if they choose to? I don't understand this, please explain. My fraternity is for life too, but every once in a while, someone decides it isn't what they thought it would be, and they quit, revoke membership benefits and everything.

julio25et: MY FRATERNITY DOES NOT HAZE! There may be some chapters that do, but mine DOES NOT. I swear by this statement. I'm not flaming you or trying to start anything. I just want to make it clear that there are chapters of fraternities that don't haze. I didn't even have to take a test or get any signatures!

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 07-25-2000, 03:25 PM
Jilla82

Question

Yeah im tryin to do research, but how do I know whats real and whats fake? Ive read stuff about people getting beat with belts and getting burned and others saying its not that bad. How do I do research on a topic no one wants to talk about? Thanx for the help you all gave so far. And what did you mean Gone are the days of School Dayz? Havent seen that movie since it came out.
Old 07-25-2000, 04:41 PM
HAPPYGILMORE9DST

Cool

JILLA82

YOUR IN CHARGE OF YOUR OWN FATE, WHICH MEANS YOU CAN DETERMINE WHICH PROCESS YOU WOULD LIKE TO TAKE TO GET INTO ANY PARTICULAR ORGANIZATION. IF SOMEONE ASKS YOU WHETHER OR NOT YOU WANT TO BE INVOLVED IN ANY TYPE PLEDGING PROCESS THAT YOU DISAGREE WITH YOU SIMPLY TELL THEM, "NO". THIS SHOULD NOT HINDER YOU IN ANY WAY FROM BECOMING A MEMBER OF THAT ORGANIZATION.
Old 07-25-2000, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

To all concerned about "hazing":

To be perfectly honest, this topic should be the LAST thing on your mind when looking at joining a GLO. You should be determining if your GPA is at its highest level, if your community service is on point, if you have developed positive relationships with the members of the GLO in which you are interested, etc. There is so much you need to prepare for as an intrestee, that "hazing" if you are concerned at all, should be looked at after you have been accepted to attempt membership. All your worries will be moot (or mute, actually) if you are denied membership because you were focusing upon the wrong things.

If you are accepted into the intake class, you can then be concerned with "hazing." By that point, you will clearly understand what constitutes hazing in that respective organzation. If the group you are interested is "hazing", then I suggest you evaluate whether it is of interest to you to continue the process based upon your own internal goals, objectives and fortitude. People are rarely forced to do things they have no desire to do, and joining a GLO is no exception. I also find the rumors about "hazing" to be far more graphic and exagerated than the truth.

So if your concern about "hazing" overrides all other factors about GLO life that interest you, then maybe GLO life isn't for you at this point--it certainly isn't for everyone . Hazing was never a factor in my quest to join my Sorority--I was too busy focusing on membreship requirements, and hazing was not on the list of requirements .
Hope this helps, Shela.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jilla82:
Yeah im tryin to do research, but how do I know whats real and whats fake?...
Old 07-25-2000, 11:39 PM
Alright here is the deal!

I suggest you try to find a greek person that you know personally, a cousin a brother wathever,that is in the group you want to be in and ask him what is the hazing situation in the chapter you are interested in. He may be able to find out, or not, or he may tell you that he cannot answer your question. But at least he won't give you the "standard" answer that any member of a BGLO really NEED to say, in a PUBLIC forum in order to not jeopardize their org and chapter.
Old 07-26-2000, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

i've been wanting to say this for some time now...

it seems apparent to me that many of these non-greeks or high-schoolers have this inate sense that greek like if all about parties, hazing, popularity, sex, drugs and rock 'n roll. i was quite disturbed by jilla82's post. IMHO, the primary reason he's questioning greek life is the hazing aspect. jilla, GPA's are the most important. and if you want to join a BGLO, do your research. find out what PHILANTHROPIES, ALUMNI, SERVICES and HISTRIES appeal to you most. hazing should be the last thing on your mind.

the education regarding the greek system is so ignorant of any real validity, it seems. jilla, greek life is not all about parties and hazing. sorry to extract you from that dream of yours. greek life is a lifelong commitment to yourself, your brothers/sisters, your greek heritage and you academic and professional achievement. if hazing if your primary motivation for going greek, you're going at it for all the wrong reasons.

etienne
sigma alpha iota-the hartt school of music

------------------
"red is the color of music and has been since the very earliest of times. the caps of faeries and musicians are well-nigh always red."~*~w.b.yeats

"I think that happiness is when you can let yourself feel every emotion you want at any time instead of being a lying little fuck." - Tori Amos
Old 07-26-2000, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Advice,
Membership Intake does vary from chapter to chapter, so talk to someone on your campus. They won't tell you straight up they haze. If they say, "There is a process," that means that there will be hard times. Remember anything worth having has to be worked for.
Old 07-26-2000, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that someone already touched on it, but the best thing to do, is once you have decided which organization talk to someone "from the Chapter" of the school you plan to attend.

If you don't know what school you are going to, then I wouldn't really worry about it at this point. You are in high school, enjoy it.

Intake varies from chapter to chapter, and some chapters have certain traditions. Just to let you know though, no one (at least to the best of my knowledge) is going to give you all the information that you want or need until they determine that they want you in their frat. It's a two way street. Not to be disrespectful, but you may not make it. That's just a fact of life. So focus on your grades, and focus on being the type of person that would make someone want to call you Brother.

Peace

MN
Old 07-26-2000, 06:30 PM
Come on now!

Come on now! I know exactly what Jilla82 is talking about. I which org I want to join but I know that I will get beat and have to take wood on many occasions (I have many close friends from different universities who are greek). Now, I would rather do MIP and avoid that, but then absolutely no one will respect me and I even know of bruhs from other campuses who will try to "make" if you weren't "made" right. Explain that! and please don't bullish me.