GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,612
2 members and 1,610 guests
Cookiez17, Sen's Revenge

Old 07-05-2013, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I was two years out of undergrad when I applied, so I really didn't have any professors I kept in touch with to ask for a recommendation and I was worried about not having an academic reference. (Even though none of the programs I applied to specifically asked for one.)

The caveat is that I had two years of professional experience in the field. I was able to get letters from my direct supervisor, a campus-based professional that I'd worked closely with, and my mentor/advisor (not academic) from undergrad. I think the professional experience, and letters from people who could attest to work I'd done in the field were just as relevant as an academic reference, so what worked for me may not for you.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

bumping because now I'm on the other side of the application process and will be at Michigan State in 91 days!
Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
bumping because now I'm on the other side of the application process and will be at Michigan State in 91 days!
Thank you for bumping this, because I had no idea that this thread existed and I have a feeling it'll be very useful to me
Old 05-06-2014, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a question that hopefully can be answered here....I am wondering if there is any policy or practice regarding Greek life advisors. What is standard staffing goal in Greek Life offices for colleges with
a. colleges and universities with 1-5 Greek chapters
b. colleges and universities with 6-10 Greek Chapters
c. colleges and universities with 11-20 Greek chapters
d. colleges and universities with 20+ Greek chapters

If there are large numbers of chapters, both sororities and fraternities, do Greek life offices employ both an advisor for sororities and for fraternities?

What about half time employees...could one staff member working half time manage a Greek life office where there are 8 or more sororities (with each chapter at or above 180 members)?

Also, are students allowed to work in the Greek life office as well? Seems like student workers would pose a conflict of interest especially of the student workers are also Greek.

Thanks for any input. I've been having discussions with several Greek alumnae from various chapters about this issue and thought I'd come to this forum to get more info.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbuff View Post
I have a question that hopefully can be answered here....I am wondering if there is any policy or practice regarding Greek life advisors. What is standard staffing goal in Greek Life offices for colleges with
a. colleges and universities with 1-5 Greek chapters
b. colleges and universities with 6-10 Greek Chapters
c. colleges and universities with 11-20 Greek chapters
d. colleges and universities with 20+ Greek chapters

If there are large numbers of chapters, both sororities and fraternities, do Greek life offices employ both an advisor for sororities and for fraternities?

What about half time employees...could one staff member working half time manage a Greek life office where there are 8 or more sororities (with each chapter at or above 180 members)?

Also, are students allowed to work in the Greek life office as well? Seems like student workers would pose a conflict of interest especially of the student workers are also Greek.

Thanks for any input. I've been having discussions with several Greek alumnae from various chapters about this issue and thought I'd come to this forum to get more info.
From my experience, there is no standard. From the four universities I've either attended or worked at, all had communities had over 20 chapters and each had a different model:

1. Two staff members, two graduate assistants, multiple student interns/workers (2 councils)
2. Five staff members, three grad assistants, multiple student interns/workers (4 councils)
3. One staff member (me), 1/2 grad assistant (shared with coworker) (4 councils)
4. Five and a half staff members (shared with leadership office), no grad students, multiple student interns/workers (3 councils)

Where I have seen the need for more staff is the size of the community (percentage of students who join) and if there is housing. For example, the #3 school was only 3% Greek, while the #4 school is closer to 40% Greek. That school also has a live on requirement for sophomore year and the fraternities/sororities are a large part of that.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks ta kala. So according to what you have suggested, a half time staff member with no student intern help would likely not have enough time to support a school with 9 sororities with houses that accommodate 80+ members and total of 180!

Next question...how do students begin to affect change on campus to get more support from university officials?
Old 05-08-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta kala View Post
From my experience, there is no standard. From the four universities I've either attended or worked at, all had communities had over 20 chapters and each had a different model:

1. Two staff members, two graduate assistants, multiple student interns/workers (2 councils)
2. Five staff members, three grad assistants, multiple student interns/workers (4 councils)
3. One staff member (me), 1/2 grad assistant (shared with coworker) (4 councils)
4. Five and a half staff members (shared with leadership office), no grad students, multiple student interns/workers (3 councils)

Where I have seen the need for more staff is the size of the community (percentage of students who join) and if there is housing. For example, the #3 school was only 3% Greek, while the #4 school is closer to 40% Greek. That school also has a live on requirement for sophomore year and the fraternities/sororities are a large part of that.

Hope that helps!
I take it #3 had many NPHC and MC GLOs to have that many groups and only be 3% of the student body??

Southernbuff - has the system grown rapidly in a short period of time?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I take it #3 had many NPHC and MC GLOs to have that many groups and only be 3% of the student body??

Southernbuff - has the system grown rapidly in a short period of time?
You're right - 8 NPHC, 3 MGC

Southernbuff, a lot will depend on the school's goals for their community. Depending on what they are trying accomplish, the school may not see the need for additional support. I think the students can start by benchmarking other schools with similar chapter numbers/size and see if there are programs happening at other schools with more support that will allow their school to succeed.