GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,348
4 members and 1,344 guests
PGD-GRAD, Sarak24034

Old 04-12-2007, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

The Crisis of Low Expectations for College-Bound Black Students

The Crisis of Low Expectations for College-Bound Black Students

A study by Brian Perkins (Delta Sigma Chapter), a professor of education law at Southern Connecticut State University in New Haven, found that nearly one quarter of the teachers at public high schools in urban areas say that most students at their school would not be successful at either a community college or a four-year institution of higher education. The study, published by the National School Board Association, found that white teachers were more likely than black teachers to have given up hope that their students would succeed in college. More than 4,700 teachers in 10 states were surveyed.

Only 7 percent of the administrators at public high schools in urban areas believed that the students in their school could not succeed in college.

Readers who want to view or download the study, http://www.nsba.org/site/page_micro....2110&DID=40408
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-13-2007, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunate but true in a lot of instances. However, I'd like to dig a little further with this study and ask if it's solely who's (as it relates to race) teaching that's effecting how prepared our black students are? I've taught math for after school programs and have tutored youth in my church for years and I agree that black students are not being equipped with the tools to further their education. We could point the finger at a lot of people, but I believe it starts at home.

Perfect example, I taught a student that went to my church math about four years ago. I knew then that he was struggling badly so I spoke to his parents. They did nothing. Fastforward to 2007 and this 19-year old young man has not received his diploma because he has yet to pass the Minnesota Basic Standards Test. Now his parents are asking me to help tutor him again so he can get his diploma. This young man does not have simple problem skills so we would literally have to start at ground zero for him to pass this test. This is one example of countless others.

Last edited by delph998; 04-13-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I think a lot of what I am seeing of entering college Black freshmen is they don't know how to go to college anymore. Their folks never did, so how to go without support, such as actually registering for class on-line, has missed a point.

Also "our kids" are belligerent in college prep courses. Our kids come to my university's summer programs and miss the "special college classes" of how to go to school while getting stipends; whereas, other kids are wondering why we have to have programs like these?

Then, our kids folks--not parents, because they come from different kinds of situations have little understand what a college education provides. Some of our say that all kids should go to a vo-tech school so at least they have some basic skills to have a job. Then some say that all kids need a mandatory military service requirement. Either way, the US has always let people choose the kind of life they want.

One of my work colleagues was telling me at her church, a young man was murdered. At his funeral, there were many kids present who were dressed all kind of ways but appropriate and misbehaving by text messaging friends during the service. The pastor stated, that "Many of you think you only want to live for today, or tomorrow... Well, I don't want to live till tomorrow. I want to live beyond 80...". Then my colleague said a huge "gong, lightbulb" was switched on... It is as if kids 16/17 had kids and now their kids 16/17 are have kids who are now 16/17. It is 3rd generation and we still have not effectively taught our kids that one should want to live beyond a youth.

So the question should be is why is aging feared and hated?

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 04-13-2007, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
I think a lot of what I am seeing of entering college Black freshmen is they don't know how to go to college anymore. Their folks never did, so how to go without support, such as actually registering for class on-line, has missed a point.

Also "our kids" are belligerent in college prep courses. Our kids come to my university's summer programs and miss the "special college classes" of how to go to school while getting stipends; whereas, other kids are wondering why we have to have programs like these?

Then, our kids folks--not parents, because they come from different kinds of situations have little understand what a college education provides. Some of our say that all kids should go to a vo-tech school so at least they have some basic skills to have a job. Then some say that all kids need a mandatory military service requirement. Either way, the US has always let people choose the kind of life they want.

One of my work colleagues was telling me at her church, a young man was murdered. At his funeral, there were many kids present who were dressed all kind of ways but appropriate and misbehaving by text messaging friends during the service. The pastor stated, that "Many of you think you only want to live for today, or tomorrow... Well, I don't want to live till tomorrow. I want to live beyond 80...". Then my colleague said a huge "gong, lightbulb" was switched on... It is as if kids 16/17 had kids and now their kids 16/17 are have kids who are now 16/17. It is 3rd generation and we still have not effectively taught our kids that one should want to live beyond a youth.

So the question should be is why is aging feared and hated?
Monet, you know I don't like you, but I hadn't thought about the fear of aging. Interesting perspective.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by delph998 View Post
Unfortunate but true in a lot of instances. However, I'd like to dig a little further with this study and ask if it's solely who's (as it relates to race) teaching that's effecting how prepared our black students are? I've taught math for after school programs and have tutored youth in my church for years and I agree that black students are not being equipped with the tools to further their education. We could point the finger at a lot of people, but I believe it starts at home.

Perfect example, I taught a student that went to my church math about four years ago. I knew then that he was struggling badly so I spoke to his parents. They did nothing. Fastforward to 2007 and this 19-year old young man has not received his diploma because he has yet to pass the Minnesota Basic Standards Test. Now his parents are asking me to help tutor him again so he can get his diploma. This young man does not have simple problem skills so we would literally have to start at ground zero for him to pass this test. This is one example of countless others.
I totally agree with this post, and I'll add my 2 cents. In college my friends and I started a volunteer tutoring program at a Minneapolis school with the lowest test scores in the state (and the school happens to be almost all Black/Latino/immigrant students). We had so many challenges in working with this kids, and all of it stemmed from the home. We had students who were homeless, living from shelter to shelter, and they desperately wanted some stability and support from home. Its hard for a parent to help you witn your math homework when they don't know where you'll be sleeping that night or if you'll get a meal. The kids that did have homes had very absentee parents, who were often working several jobs. It broke my heart that we had 8th grade students who could not do simple multiplication , and it made me angry that the head of the math dept. simply dismissed the fact that the kids couldn't multiply, and simply said "oh, they can use calculators on the test"
Old 04-13-2007, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilance1922 View Post
I totally agree with this post, and I'll add my 2 cents. In college my friends and I started a volunteer tutoring program at a Minneapolis school with the lowest test scores in the state (and the school happens to be almost all Black/Latino/immigrant students). We had so many challenges in working with this kids, and all of it stemmed from the home. We had students who were homeless, living from shelter to shelter, and they desperately wanted some stability and support from home. Its hard for a parent to help you witn your math homework when they don't know where you'll be sleeping that night or if you'll get a meal. The kids that did have homes had very absentee parents, who were often working several jobs. It broke my heart that we had 8th grade students who could not do simple multiplication , and it made me angry that the head of the math dept. simply dismissed the fact that the kids couldn't multiply, and simply said "oh, they can use calculators on the test"
We are >>>>HERE<<<<!

I'd also like to add that due to budget cuts in education, the fun has been taken out of earning good grades. There used to be a time when you were rewarded when you got good grades. In primary, middle, and junior high school we went roller skating or had pizza parties for getting the all A Honor Roll and A,B Honor Roll. Those incentives don't exist hardly at all any more.

In high school we had pep rallies/fests, the arts, and music. All of that is even being taken out. I think this indirectly plays a role in our students not being as focused and prepared for college.

Last edited by delph998; 04-13-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RBL
Quote:

I was dealing with a very similar story a few years back. Literally had the berate the parent for not being more involved and caring more that her son could barely do simple Math and he wasn't reading that well either. It took months before I could get her to really discipline him and get him to focus (while I wasn't around). The only time she would raise an issue with him at school was when he would lose eligibility to play basketball. I was so tempted to just give up ..but I persevered and monitored/tutored him from 8th grade to 12th grade. Around 10th grade he started to come around academically he ended up graduating with a 2.6 GPA in high school and will be completing his freshman year at NC A&T this Spring. The first semester he earned a 2.8 GPA and he thinks he will get above a 3.0 when this semester ends.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBL View Post
I was dealing with a very similar story a few years back. Literally had the berate the parent for not being more involved and caring more that her son could barely do simple Math and he wasn't reading that well either. It took months before I could get her to really discipline him and get him to focus (while I wasn't around). The only time she would raise an issue with him at school was when he would lose eligibility to play basketball. I was so tempted to just give up ..but I persevered and monitored/tutored him from 8th grade to 12th grade. Around 10th grade he started to come around academically he ended up graduating with a 2.6 GPA in high school and will be completing his freshman year at NC A&T this Spring. The first semester he earned a 2.8 GPA and he thinks he will get above a 3.0 when this semester ends.
That's a beautiful success story! It feels so great to hear discouraging situations turn into encouraging testimonials; which is why I know that our African American students can be more than prepared for college, but there's something lacking.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
Monet, you know I don't like you, but I hadn't thought about the fear of aging. Interesting perspective.
You don't like me? Why?

I don't think it is a fear per se. I think it is "lack of exposure" or no experience with the aged. Like, while I was growing up, I had to go to visit my grandmother in a nursing home. So, I came to understand that. But many of the youth today, the only home they see is the lunacy they were born into. It leads to a disrespect toward the elderly.

Historically, when we treasured our elderly we advanced our collective knowledge. But when we bash our elderly, we fall back to repeat the same historical mistakes... Since these kids never really interact with "aged wisdom", the intellect never gets passed on. So, from my understanding, many cultures had councils of elders. This barely exists in modern impoverished society.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 04-14-2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Foundations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
shinerbock..WoW! Clown

Delph, Monet and Jubilance,

Great posts. I think that as a race, what's needed is an enhancement to all things foundational in regards to our children and young people. Everything integral to their educational readiness and preparedness is stringent upon how well we ready them when they are in the most pivotol and impressionalbe stages/ages of their learning...between the ages of 2-8.

We as a collective of parents, teachers and folks in authority positions, or really, a village, must remember to impact the holistic persons that our children are. We must continue to "expect" them to follow the examples of our Christian walks, which will help to foster and empower our teaching them to be good student-citizens, but, this begins at home. As a race we are sort of losing the ability to make our children understand that, a requirement is that they "will" attend college, or join the military, or attend a vocational school, and further, we must foster in them the belief that they can be entrepreneurs, legal entrepreneurs that is.

Once we have re-focused ourselves on imparting what's essential into our children, then they'll have a much better chance at growing up ready educationally. Two of the most major lessons that I learned from gaining an education are, (1.) That it was a blessing to gain an education. (2.) That an education is a statement of your readiness and your ability to compete in this world, which affects one's level of trainability in regards to their chosen profession. Boy do we have work to do...

7th
Old 04-14-2007, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thSonofOsiris View Post
shinerbock..WoW! Clown

Delph, Monet and Jubilance,

Great posts. I think that as a race, what's needed is an enhancement to all things foundational in regards to our children and young people. Everything integral to their educational readiness and preparedness is stringent upon how well we ready them when they are in the most pivotol and impressionalbe stages/ages of their learning...between the ages of 2-8.

We as a collective of parents, teachers and folks in authority positions, or really, a village, must remember to impact the holistic persons that our children are. We must continue to "expect" them to follow the examples of our Christian walks, which will help to foster and empower our teaching them to be good student-citizens, but, this begins at home. As a race we are sort of losing the ability to make our children understand that, a requirement is that they "will" attend college, or join the military, or attend a vocational school, and further, we must foster in them the belief that they can be entrepreneurs, legal entrepreneurs that is.

Once we have re-focused ourselves on imparting what's essential into our children, then they'll have a much better chance at growing up ready educationally. Two of the most major lessons that I learned from gaining an education are, (1.) That it was a blessing to gain an education. (2.) That an education is a statement of your readiness and your ability to compete in this world, which affects one's level of trainability in regards to their chosen profession. Boy do we have work to do...

7th
Very well said, the7th. And the subject of your post says it best, foundations are very key, and these foundations start at home.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Very well said, the7th. And the subject of your post says it best, foundations are very key, and these foundations start at home.
Exactly! Which is why I don't get it when people make such a big deal of getting into a 'good' school district. Yes, we want our children to attend somewhere where they are not fearing for their safety on a daily basis but putting your family in financial jeopardy to get into a 'good' school district is IMHO crazy. Working with your child at home will allow them to make the most of almost any school district situation.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RBL
Quote:
That's a beautiful success story! It feels so great to hear discouraging situations turn into encouraging testimonials; which is why I know that our African American students can be more than prepared for college, but there's something lacking.

For me I think parental involvement is whats lacking. I don't care if its one or two parent home..some parental figure needs to be involved and teach the child that education is important and parents need to stay on top of the childs teachers,principals, etc.. even guidance counselors. Like with the young man who I spoke of earlier. His guidance counselor encouraged him NOT to apply for college based off his academic record(the young man finished with a 2.6..I know students who have gotten into college on a lot less). He was buying into the hype until I encouraged his mother to give that guidance counselor a call. Parents have to stop just believing teachers/counselors and impart an "I can do all things" mentality into their children.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBL View Post
For me I think parental involvement is whats lacking. I don't care if its one or two parent home..some parental figure needs to be involved and teach the child that education is important and parents need to stay on top of the childs teachers,principals, etc.. even guidance counselors. Like with the young man who I spoke of earlier. His guidance counselor encouraged him NOT to apply for college based off his academic record(the young man finished with a 2.6..I know students who have gotten into college on a lot less). He was buying into the hype until I encouraged his mother to give that guidance counselor a call. Parents have to stop just believing teachers/counselors and impart an "I can do all things" mentality into their children.
I agree with you RBL. Parents definitely need to be more involved. Start coming to parent involvement day, parent/teacher conferences, studying with your students, etc.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm 24 years old, and grew up in a family of educators from elementary school through college. I think part of the problem is that school districts nationwide want to get "cute" (for lack of a better word) with the curriculum. Like 7th said, there needs to be a return to the foundations. That means schools need to stop teaching to the tests. Kids wouldn't have a problem passing these state tests if they had the fundamentals.

When I was in elementary school my english book concertrated on sentence structure and proper grammar. The book was basically the same through out the grades it just become more complex as you advanced in grade level. And everyday the teacher would give us a topic to write about in our journal. It was expected for us to complete our class and homework. And there was no using a calculator in math. All work had to be written out to show how you arrived at your answer. There were no rewards for doing it because that was the norm. However, there were consequences if your work wasn't done.

And the teacher had complete control of his/her classroom. Now it seems like the kids run the classroom. That would never have happen when I was in school and the kids knew it. It was rare for a child to be sent out of the classroom. Teachers need to have full authority in their classrooms, and when a child needs to be disciplined the school's administration should back the teacher.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~Martin Luther King