GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,017
1 members and 2,016 guests
flirt5721

Old 09-23-2005, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Interfraternity Council votes to restrict Greek parties

Interfraternity Council votes to restrict Greek parties
New regulations limit event options
By Ashley Edwards
Published: Friday, September 23, 2005
The Murray State News

The Interfraternity Council passed a rule that limits almost all fraternity social events to Greeks and invited women listed on a pre-approved form.

The rule took effect Sept. 19. Its goal is designed to reduce problems at social events, said Rob Whitfield, public relations director of IFC.

"In addition to making our parties safer and to decrease liability for the individual fraternities, we have decided to close parties to non-Greek males," Whitfield said. "We do not have problems with women starting fights at parties. We do not have problems with women causing property damage at our parties. Virtually 100 percent of the time, it's men."

Whitfield said many of the problems are caused because of a lack of alcohol awareness education among non-Greeks.

He said fraternity members are required to take programs that educate them about the dangers of alcohol abuse.

"We have no idea how many people outside of the Greek community have had that education, but we do know that every fraternity member and most sorority members, I believe, at this campus are required to have that sort of training," Whitfield said.

He also said individual fraternities are required by the University to have a $1 million liability policy to protect against lawsuits resulting from accidents at social events.

A social event is defined as a gathering with more than 50 non-fraternity members in attendance, IFC President Mike Brown said.

A policy regulating Greek parties has been in effect since spring, Brown said. However, he took informal polls last semester and noticed the majority of fraternity members favored a more stringent non-Greek party policy.

"(The administration) felt it was a really good idea, and I think they were pleased that IFC, as a student government council, is taking responsibility for how Greek social life is carried out," Brown said. "We just want to keep everyone safe, and this policy will benefit chapters in the future."

Since the new rule took effect, each fraternity is now allowed two limited parties a semester in plus their philanthropy, Brown said.

Limited parties are defined as a social event in which any male or female, 18 and older, and Greek males can attend. The pre-submitted guest list will remain a requirement for these events.

"If for some reason one of the fraternities does not hold their philanthropy, they are allotted one more limited party in its place for a total of three a semester," Brown said. "Also, no fraternity can hold a limited party before rush is over next Monday."

The previous rule requiring a submitted guest list is still in place.

"Before each social event the fraternities chapter must turn in a guest list to the Student Social Event Organization Office," Brown said. "After the party a final guest list and sign-in sheet must be turned in so the university can see who is attending the parties".

Brown said he favored the policy change as a way to keep students safe and help with risk management.

"We just want everyone who attends the parties to be safe, and with this policy we can keep a closer eye out for things that may go wrong," Brown said. "We want everything to run smoothly so the parties can keep going."

IFC representatives also hope this policy will encourage more students to go Greek, Brown said, but it was not a direct motivation for the policy's adoption.

Chris Bruce, sophomore from Madisonville, is hoping to rush a fraternity. However, he said the policy changes will have a marginal effect on decisions to go Greek.

"You can always party somewhere else so keeping non-Greek males out of the parties isn't a big deal," he said. "Fraternities aren't all about that, and if students decide to go Greek, it will be for their own reasons."

Michael Ahart, junior from Paducah, is also going through rush but disagrees about the policy's effects on Greek attendance. He said it depends on the person's status.

"When you are on the outside of Greek life, you think the policy is a horrible idea, but once you're inside you understand the liability issues the fraternities have," Ahart said. "I think there are some students who won't want to be on the outside, and that will encourage them to go Greek."

Other students who are members of fraternities have mixed feelings about the policy. Seniors Chip Walker and Brandon Brady disagree with the policy.

"I think it's stupid to put regulations on parties," Walker said. "The University doesn't want anyone to have any fun."

Brandon Brady agreed the rules are unnecessary.

"All IFC rules suck," Brandon Brady said. "Parties were a lot better when I was a freshman. There weren't any regulations then, and everything went fine."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-24-2005, 04:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
IFCs PanHells and Greek Councils are generally such sell outs.

I swear one of the worst thing that National Organizations don't do is not have serious training for their chapter officers on how to handle IFCs etc.

They surrender so many rights and basically become the lapdogs of the administration.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought all NIC orgs put limitations (or restrictions) on the number of non-member males attending social. Why would non-members need to attend the social event anyway? Why spend chapter funds for renting a place, security, etc, to just let someone who doesn't pay dues to have a good time on your dime?

One thing bothered me:

Quote:
A social event is defined as a gathering with more than 50 non-fraternity members in attendance, IFC President Mike Brown said.
When the members get together to watch the game or BBQ and are drinking, this is not considered a "Social Event"? I'm pretty sure under every NIC org that it is considered a social event and the IFC rule contradicts what our national orgs state.

While I'm all for limiting the social functions to a certain amount a year, this also bothered me:

Quote:
"...each fraternity is now allowed two limited parties a semester in plus their philanthropy...If for some reason one of the fraternities does not hold their philanthropy, they are allotted one more limited party in its place for a total of three a semester,"
So the IFC is encouraging chapters to decide whether to have a party or a philanthropy event? I can see how that will go over in chapter meetings.

Jim: We've only had 2 parties, that sucks.

Mark: Instead of doing our philanthropy, we can have a party.

John: Then we can have a party and wouldn't have to do a philanthropy?

Mark: Yes.

Jim & John: Awesome! Let's do it.

I gues this IFC is getting a little on the right track, they just need to tweak it to be fully effective.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NebraskaDelt
When the members get together to watch the game or BBQ and are drinking, this is not considered a "Social Event"? I'm pretty sure under every NIC org that it is considered a social event and the IFC rule contradicts what our national orgs state.
I think that this particular IFC is using slightly different terms so the people at the school understand it. I also think that they must be having parties in their houses, not renting out places - the only time groups have to do that (if they don't have dry housing) is for sorority mixers. (Those are strictly closed to just the fraternity and the sorority participating - if there would be non-Greek women attending it would be a serious rush infraction for the sorority.)

The point of inviting non-Greek men is it can be somewhat of a rush tool, but in this case (the same thing happened at Penn State) a few a-holes spoil it for everyone.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
IFCs PanHells and Greek Councils are generally such sell outs.

I swear one of the worst thing that National Organizations don't do is not have serious training for their chapter officers on how to handle IFCs etc.

They surrender so many rights and basically become the lapdogs of the administration.
I would agree that this may be true on many campuses; however, this 'policy' was driven by the Murray State chapters and their alumni.

I have family and high school friends who attended Murray State and many still live in Murray. Heck their children are now joining GLOs. As such, I am somewhat familiar with what is going on there.

First off, Murray State is very Greek friendly. Little of the "we versus them" attitude that happens on other campuses. Also, many of the current administration is Greek. Including MSU's President and many of the Board of Regents. Most having initiated at MSU. And many serve on their chapters alumni boards/housing corporation etc. Most/all chapters have a very strong alumni base.

Second, almost all negative issues/incidents that surfaced around fraternity parties usually centered around non fraternity men. With out getting into a much longer history of Greek life at Murray State, suffice to say that there has been a history of open parties. And a historical good relationship between Greeks and independents as well as between the campus and the local community. All involved would like to have these good relationships continue.

I would like to add that when these negative incidents happened, the administration would come down on the individual(s) responsible (usually non Greek) and *not* the chapter. Blame was laid where it belonged.

Thirdly, with more issues happening locally, and also on a national level, (as we are unfortunately all aware), the chapters and their alumni felt that *they* needed to be proactive and protect the chapters. (i.e. liability issues etc.)

As such, this 'policy' originated from the IFC (chapters) with little to no input by the Murray State administration. *Except*, perhaps, input by fraternity alumni who are also part of the MSU administration.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Why would non-members need to attend the social event anyway? Why spend chapter funds for renting a place, security, etc, to just let someone who doesn't pay dues to have a good time on your dime?
Open parties often serve as rush events. Also, there is a history of open parties at Murray State going back to the late 1950s. Until about five or six years ago, the city of Murray was dry (no bars, liquor stores etc.) so fraternity parties were a major part of the campus social scene. And depending on the type of party, most had some sort of cover charge to help offset the cost.

Quote:
So the IFC is encouraging chapters to decide whether to have a party or a philanthropy event?
No. Unfortunately it wasn't clear from the article. Most/all chapters have a party associated with their philanthropy event. Since most fraternities only have one philanthropy event a year - as an example Sigma Chi's Derby Days or Lambda Chi Alpha's Watermelon Bust - this allows the chapter to have three 'limited' parties per semester. One party just happens to be associated with the philanthropy event.

Last edited by TSteven; 09-24-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I think that this particular IFC is using slightly different terms so the people at the school understand it. I also think that they must be having parties in their houses, not renting out places - the only time groups have to do that (if they don't have dry housing) is for sorority mixers. (Those are strictly closed to just the fraternity and the sorority participating - if there would be non-Greek women attending it would be a serious rush infraction for the sorority.)

The point of inviting non-Greek men is it can be somewhat of a rush tool, but in this case (the same thing happened at Penn State) a few a-holes spoil it for everyone.
33girl - you nailed it!
Old 09-24-2005, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TSteven
Open parties often serve as rush events.

Most/all chapters have a party associated with their philanthropy event. Since most fraternities only have one philanthropy event a year - as an example Sigma Chi's Derby Days or Lambda Chi Alpha's Watermelon Bust - this allows the chapter to have three 'limited' parties per semester. One party just happens to be associated with the philanthropy event.

Thanks for clearing up the philanthropy thing. As for the recruitment tool, I understand that, but the article made is sound like hundreds of independent men were attending the parties not a handful as would be proper for using it as a recruitment tool.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I have become to the immunity of Alcohol Awareness programs!

It is a Money Pit for saying OKEDOKEY We will give these programs that cost Money!

But, that is what is wanted in this day and age. What good does it do?

From what I have read from previous posts, there is a well run Greek Life. If that is true, leave it the hell alone!

I like 33girls post, "They make it so The School Understands it"

LX Z # 1
Alumni