GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,127
3 members and 1,124 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, indygphib

Old 06-29-2001, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Greek life image

This has been bothering me for a long time, and I just wanted to see if anyone else is as frustrated as I am about this...
I get extremely frustrated with people who are not involved in a sorority or fraternity yet feel the need to make assumptions about greek life and voice them to others.
A few examples:
I was on reading a post on the Sigma Kappa boards where the question "what are sigma's like" was asked. A wide range of replies were posted, but many of them actually "bashed" Sigma Kappa, and made the assumption that every Sigma is the same.
More disturbing:
A very popular television show for highschool as well as college students "Dawson's Creek" I'm sure you've heard of it...one episode at the beginning of the summer, actually I think it was the season finale made a comment that should anger every greek. Dawson was packing up for college when his father said "promise me you won't join a fraternity" And Dawson said, "I can promise you that" That bothered me beyond belief. This particular show reaches almost every teenage student, and comments like that on such popular shows could really do some damage.

Anyone have any thoughts? I have been thinking of writing a letter to the WB network, but I feel like no one will read it, and nothing will be done.

Loyally,
Casey
Old 06-29-2001, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
I know what you mean. I'm a Chi O Alum, and I hate it when people who don't even know me make assumptions about me when they find out I was in a sorority in college. They roll their eyes, they ask why I would want to do that, they laugh and say figures were you a cheerleader in HS too. (As a matter a fact I was, but don't stereotype me!)

Even my mother--we were not close when I was in college and she "missed" my whole XO expereince. Recently, she was visiting me, and picked up my Chi O scrapbook--she was asking stuff like "they didn't make you do (insert hazing stereotype here), did they?"

I sat her down and said NO, Mom, it wasn't like that at all, that's a lie made up by people who were never a part of a GLO. And then I porceeded to tell her what it was like, how thankful I was to have been a part of it, how I couldn't get along without the daily influence of my friends Michelle, Lisa and Audrey--who I would not know without XO...by the end, she got it.

I wish the NPC/NIC would launch some sort of a P.R. campaign. Does anyone remember that VW campagn from the late 80's? Alums should--it ran in campus papers as well as national magazines. It showed real people with their VW's and a quote about how much they loved their car and why. Something similar featuring Greeks would be great. The general public can't figure it out. We're not Animal House. We're social without being irresponsible. We're sisters and brothers. We're family.

Amy

Old 06-29-2001, 07:43 PM

(another non-Kappa joining in )

My sweetie is in a band and a lot of his friends are very eclectic, to say the least. I get along with them all very well and when they first found out I was in a sorority, they about fell over. I just love pulling peoples' chains like that.

(soapbox) I think the statements that the NPC and NIC issues against hazing are so tepid, that they do very little. I remember when that "Dying to Belong" movie came out - what NPC was so carefully worded that some people probably thought "this goes on all the time and they are just covering up." I also think we are too quick to let colleges tell us what to do, and to designate too many innocuous activities as hazing. (off soapbox)

Back in the 50's there used to be pressure TO go Greek, now it's reversed itself. I don't think there should be pressure one way or the other - just something you can choose if you want to.
Old 06-30-2001, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Hey...That episode of Dawson's crushed my heart! I couldn't believe that was being said. I would be up for writing a letter Casey. I'll help you draft one. Maybe we can get the president to send one as well. I totally agree that stereotypes are associated and it is really disturbing. I know that Kappa is launching a big PR campaign, etc. but it is still going on. So...I think it just has to work out in time. We correct the people we care about and try to make a difference. But I definitely be up for setting people straight! Let me know if anyone wants to do something. Greeks grow strong leaders. GLO are a family of support.
Old 07-01-2001, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

I'm all about writing a letter...I think they should have to apologize to the greek community for something like that! Maybe Kristen can help us in getting nationals involved (like having someone from there sending a letter)...seeing as you have had to contact them so much lately!!

Loyally,
Casey
Old 07-01-2001, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

YAY!! I'm a senior member!! I've been waiting so long!!!

Loyally,
Casey
Old 07-01-2001, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that we should get headquarters involved. Can we talk to the president of the Panhellenic Society and talk to her about it? Kristen, If you could send me some e-mail addresses, I can get working on some e-mails and get some support. I'm sure that others would like to get involved in this as well. Hey-when do I become a senior member???
Old 07-03-2001, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wish the NPC/NIC would launch some sort of a P.R. campaign. Does anyone remember that VW campagn from the late 80's? Alums should--it ran in campus papers as well as national magazines. It showed real people with their VW's and a quote about how much they loved their car and why. Something similar featuring Greeks would be great. The general public can't figure it out. We're not Animal House. We're social without being irresponsible. We're sisters and brothers. We're family.
[/B]
Amy, I think this is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long, long time. Would you be interested in pitching this idea to NPC/NIC?

What I am beginning to think is this: What if we used our alliances on GreekChat to get NPC/NIC to do something like this ad campaign in campus newspapers and also in major regional newspapers (Indy Star, Boston Globe, Miami Herald, LA Times, Kansas City Star, etc.).

What we would have to do would involve:
(1) Refining the ad statement,
(2) Designing 2-5 sample ads based upon our core ad statement (we could recruit the best ads from here on Greek Chat in the General forums)
(3) Write a group letter to NPC/NIC, with representation from each organization. Each organization would have a "captain" (like, you would be the Chi O captain, and I would be the KKG captain,etc.) Then we would list the other names of the other KKGs, ChiOs, etc who supported this via Greek Chat. Our letter would talk about how we see so many negative images of greeks, and it's time to show the good sides... like you said in your post.

What do you think? I am 100% ready to work on this, because I think you've come up with a BRILLIANT solution!!!!

Casey and Katie: writing a letter to the WB is a start... and a great one! (I'm so proud of you two!) But let's also do this thing... it's time for greeks to stand up and show ourselves to the world. I am sick to death of being chastized for something that should be celebrated!!!

O.K.--who is in? Amycat, can I count on you, because this is going to be a big undertaking.

Also, who knows where/how we can get a hold of some of those old VW ads... we'll need them for a jumping off point. Any ideas? Anyone work in advertising?

I can't wait to hear from you all... this is really a great idea... THANK YOU, AMY!!!

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 07-03-2001, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

PS-- A great "tag line" for this campaign would be:

NIC/NPC: Add a new Chapter to your life.

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!

[This message has been edited by imsohappythatiama (edited July 03, 2001).]
Old 07-03-2001, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello Kappas! I'm not a Kappa, but hopefully you won't mind me joining in here .

I'm a HS student (going to be a senior in the fall - I guess I am OVERprepared for Rush - oh well haha), and my sister was/is a Kappa Delta (she graduated). Anyway, since I was 10 years old, I learned all about Sisterhood, Big/Lil Sis, and Sisterhood Retreats through my sister, who was a newly-initiated KD. She sat me down and told me, "Car, ya know what, you're really young right now, but I just wanna tell you why I joined a sorority." She then told me what a sorority's all about: how wonderful it is to have such a HUGE support network of sisters who will do anything for you, how wonderful it is to be involved in a sorority which supports a philanthropy, etc.

Ever since then, I just roll my eyes whenever someone makes a rude comment to me or my sister when they find out my sister is/was a KD.

Unfortunately, it's really sad b/c the media totally plays up stereotypes of Greek life.

Even sadder is that one teacher that I dearly looked up to (my English teacher), said right before the end of school, "You guys are such great students - I know you guys will do so well in life. I'm gonna miss you - I just hope you guys don't go off and join a sorority or a fraternity." (We were reading A Streetcar Named Desireright before the end of school, and in it, a girl was lavaliered by her ATO boyfriend.) My teacher laughed, and was just like, "Greek life should just be hands off. Just don't go there OK? You've all seen Animal House right?"

Unfortunately, I didn't say anything to him, not wanting to offend him or anything.

Anyway, it's just too bad that the media is SO far reaching that people start telling their students what to do and what not to do!

Old 07-06-2001, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I'm in for helping. I wouldn't mind spending time this weekend to try to post something on every organization's forum in order to find a representative. Just let me know if I should do that. I can compile a list of names and e-mails in an excel document. Just give me the go ahead Kristen-Maybe by e-mail just so it gets to me right away. Try the Babson account...let me know if I should send you that...anyways...Casey-we can chat and send the WB the letter...I really would like to shove that in their faces...we should put a bunch of facts in it...like how many US presidents were greek, etc...Kristen-where could we find out some interesting facts??? Let me know if I should do some posting this weekend! Thanks!
I'm excited!
Katie
Old 07-06-2001, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by imsohappythatiama:
Amy, I think this is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long, long time. Would you be interested in pitching this idea to NPC/NIC?

O.K.--who is in? Amycat, can I count on you, because this is going to be a big undertaking.

Also, who knows where/how we can get a hold of some of those old VW ads... we'll need them for a jumping off point. Any ideas? Anyone work in advertising?

Thank you, and yes, I'm IN!

Gawd those VW ads are over 10 years old. I used to work in advertising, let me see if I can come up with someone who may still be there and able to get their hands on it.

I see something simple. A pic of my pledge sister Michelle and I on bid day in 1989. A pic of us at graduation. A pic of us togehter in the Caribbean. Then us standing there now with some quote about friendship and sisterhood.

The UCLA XO's recently volunteered at the LA Book Fair -- pics of them painting the kids faces, talking about their quest to bring literacy and literature to kids...

Something touching, but something everyone can relate to, as well.

Some with snappy lines. "Hazing? What's that? Nationals would tan our backsides if we hazed...(laughter, subject look at one another)...THAT would be hazing, and it has no place in a SIsterhood/Brotherhood built on trust, respct and love."

Heads of company's talking about the leadership skills they learned in their sorority/fraternity...

Stuff like that. All of a similar look and feel, but showcasing what we're REALLY about.

Amy
Old 07-06-2001, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Another idea would be a print ad with a grandmother, mother, daughter(s) --3 generations of greek women--not necessarily the same org., tho could be. Talking about the ways their experiences enriched their lives--and how the purposes of sororities haven't changed since their founding to become some 21st century sinister thing, but are still about friendship, sisterhood, leadership, scholarship and philanthropy.
Old 07-06-2001, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Count me in Kristen, I think it's a great idea, and I am excited to help out. AmyCat, My mom is an Alpha Xi Delta and there are only two of us, but we'd definately be interested in helping out if you decided to do generation things. Also, my parents met in college through the greek system, so we could also do something like that.
Katie, do you want me to help out with posting things, Im always online!!!

Loyally,
Case

[This message has been edited by onekeythatbindsus (edited July 07, 2001).]
Old 07-09-2001, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello all Greeks, I have been thinking about this topic for a year now and am glad to see others have also. I like all the ideas people are putting out there, here are a few of mine...

1. Push the role of Leadership that GLO's give you. As women (and men, but I am speaking from the Women's side of this)we aren't all getting married and staying home with our children after college. This is what we need to push how Greek life prepares us for life. I know that in AGD I have been prepared for work in my field of Government. I'm sure there are many examples out there.

2. Along with ads we need to write to Teen Mags about Greek life, talk about rush and hazing, also answer questions that are being asked on here to all of us.

3. Alums who are educators need to wear letters on dress down days and talk positivly about Greek Life.

4. We need to return to our high schools and speak with the Sr. class about greek life. I know that my high school had senior days. You can have talk about what you have gained from going greek. Talk about the pride you have on the days you wear letters and when you hear of a sister/brother in the news (I know that everyone I know found out that Amber is an AGD from Survivor 2).

Another thing to express to HS students is that High School Sororities are nothing like College GLO's. I know that some of my sisters weren't going to join a sorority in college because they were either in a HS group or saw the effects of them. Since we have defered rush they were able to see the differences.

Let me know about the letter writing and I will do my best to help!

Arin
Alpha Gamma Delta
Theta Upsilon
Georgetown College

------------------
To honor my home, my country, my religious faith. To hold truth inviolable, sincerity essential, kindness invaluable.