GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,068
1 members and 1,067 guests
LaneSig

Old 07-28-2007, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

A post that makes excellent sense and I wish some would heed it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-01-2007, 06:09 AM
GreekChat Member

This is the exact reason I've been told my sorority cannot have a house... I wonder if there's anyway to truly turn it around and establish one...
Old 09-01-2007, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphibxdiamond View Post
This is the exact reason I've been told my sorority cannot have a house... I wonder if there's anyway to truly turn it around and establish one...
Turn what around??? Establish a brothel law or a chapter house?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

And confusion reigns . . .

In an attempt at clarification:

1.) There are, for example in Nevada, laws which legalize and regulate brothels. Those are not the laws we are referring to in this thread.

2.) There are rumoured to be laws which restrict single-sex dwellings in an attempt to prohibit brothels. These are the laws referred to as "brothel laws" for the purposes of discussing Greek housing.

3.) We have yet to see a citation of a "brothel law" which would explain why sorority (or fraternity) houses are not allowed. If you have one, please post.

4.) If your campus does not have Greek housing, odds are it is because of zoning laws which have little or nothing to do with the sex industry. Rather than rely on heresay, check into your community and county zoning laws. It may also simply be a decision on the part of your campus. DO YOUR RESEARCH - GET THE FACTS. You may be able to change whatever is preventing GLOs from having houses.

This has been a public service announcement. Now back to your regular programming.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 09-02-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

To clarify an above post, there are sorority houses at UNR. Don't know where anyone got the idea that there aren't any on that campus. We, Delta Gamma, has one as do several others - they are more or less across the street from us.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ealymc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shima-Mizu View Post
I've heard that rumor on my campus. We have fraternity houses but no sorority houses. According to campus rumor though, that was the reason for not having houses at first, but now the current situation is like this because all of the sororities must be able to afford a house or no sorority can have a house.
Isn't this an NPC rule? The All or None mantra?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealymc View Post
Isn't this an NPC rule? The All or None mantra?
No.

Actually, I'm wrong. Not really surprising. Apparently when a system is going from no one having housing to having it, the NPC does help develop a house agreement for the campus. I was just thinking of the odd cases in which a group joins an existing system.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 09-05-2007 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ealymc
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
No.
I guess I was misinformed. It must just be an agreement between our campuses NPC orgs.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealymc View Post
I guess I was misinformed. It must just be an agreement between our campuses NPC orgs.
I don't have all the NPC rules, but when new groups come on campus, they have to make plans to build houses or whatever, so not all groups are housed necessarily.

It wouldn't surprise me though if the general preference when starting Greek housing for the NPC groups is that they try to make sure all the groups are ready. The NPC does seem to like a level playing field.

Maybe someone else knows the real policies.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 09-05-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
I was told (and believed) this myth up until this moment. I'm shocked AND I feel stupid! And now I also feel jipped! They're starting to get dorms on my campus and I'm sure someday they'll have houses - no fair! My boyf, a Delta Tau Delta at UGA had a pretty sweet house (it's even in a local Krystal commercial) and I'm super jealous!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
I was told (and believed) this myth up until this moment. I'm shocked AND I feel stupid! And now I also feel jipped! They're starting to get dorms on my campus and I'm sure someday they'll have houses - no fair! My boyf, a Delta Tau Delta at UGA had a pretty sweet house (it's even in a local Krystal commercial) and I'm super jealous!

Clean out your P M box.

Tried to reply, but unable to!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-12-2007, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Here at Gettysburg, i was told by a tour guide that that was the reason we didnt have sorority houses. i found out it was because the town changed the zoning laws essentially making it impossible to own private dormitory style housing off campus.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
Ha ha, I've seen the commercial you're talking about, and I was wondering whose house that was.

My sister went to West Georgia for two semesters and swears that the reason they don't have Greek housing is the brothel law. I tried to explain to her that this rumor is prevalent on pretty much every college campus that has Greek life without Greek housing, but she stubbornly swears that in their case, it's real. Oh well.

A Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech - Class of 2007
Old 11-22-2007, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

we have neither fraternity or sorority houses on Tarleton State's campus due to city ordinances
HOMECOMING QUEEN*MAY QUEEN*TTS
Old 12-16-2007, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

UNT Sorority Row

Texas Princess,

The "Brothel Law" did apply at UNT for many years. Prior to Sorority Row most of the Sororities used to meet in Chapter Suites at the bottom level of the College Inn Dormitory building on Monday evenings. I used to live upstairs from Chi Omega . The reason that UNT moved forward with Sorority Row was that they challenged and appealed the legal stipulations that were outdated and old. TWU could probably do the same but I know that the greek system there is very small. Not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Fraternally,

Boodleboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
I've heard the "brothel law" thing for several schools... one of them being TWU, which is seriously 5 minutes from where UNT is building the Sorority Row So I figured that was not a real reason why some campuses have houses, and some have only "lodges" and some don't have either.