GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,344
2 members and 1,342 guests
asamathattso539, bapitytts7552

Old 01-16-2000, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy health an issue?

I was just wondering people's take on health issues as far as trying to join an organization with a rigorious intake process. This is a serious question because it has been on my mind for a while. I really respect greeks, and I would love to be one. I just don't know. I have a few health problems that might interfere with my process. I have heard that walk-ons don't get any respect and you don't get to stroll at parties. What is your take on this? Thanks so much.
Old 01-19-2000, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ElleDelta3
I am not quite sure what you mean by health issues. I have never had any problems. I suppose if you drink excesivley, then you might have some problems, but other then that being in a sorority is not a health risk. I cannot speak for frats but.....
Whatever, maybe post a better question, more clearly and then I can help
Old 01-19-2000, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think that health issues are going to affect pledging a sorority or frat. Nobody is going to ask you to do anything that would physically hurt you. As far a parties go, I've never been forced to go if I don't want to, I've never been forced to do anything at a party i don't want to, and if I just wanted to stroll around and talk with people, that was always fine. The only thing that was a health issue in my sor. was when one of my sisters was deathly ill, she had to take a year off school, typically my sorority would not let people become active again after two consecutive semester of being inactive, but because it was not a choice for her, they let her become an active member again once she came back to school. That is the only health issue that came up in my sorority. If there is a handicap of some sort, I don't believe that would be a problem. Our national philanthropy is to aid the hearing impaired. In Washington dc there is Galludet University, it is a college for the hearing impaired. We have a chapter of our sorority there. They are a great bunch of girls! I don't believe that any illness would restrict you from becoming a member.
Go to a rush party at you school and ask members what they think! You never know untill you ask! Good Luck
Old 01-19-2000, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Curious =

I believe the type of intake process you are referring to is what the BGLO's participate in to some extent. However, the NPHC has gone to great lengths to remove the "pledging" process (which used to be quite rigorous and physically dangerous) with intake (which is supposed to be safer and less demanding).

------------------
Fraternally,
Barbara
Zeta Tau Alpha Alumna

If you have to go around telling everyone you're in charge you're not much of a leader.

Old 01-20-2000, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

If you have any physical impairments, all you need to do is tell the GLO you are pledging and they should make arrangements for you. If you have been asked to pledge, you are wanted, and there is an excetion to tradition when a great person just needs a little extra something to get through! Don't worry, pledging is so fun. You will have a great time!

------------------
alabama
Old 01-20-2000, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

PnguinTrax,

As a member of a BGLO, I can say that we, too, have also gone to great lengths to remove the "pledging" process and it has been successful. However, there will be people who do not want to conform to the new standards that have been put in place. Those individuals are dealt with by their national headquarters in the most appropriate manner.

Curious,

Like Alabama said, if you have any health issues that you are concerned about let your GLO know. Accommodations can be made. In my organization, the chapter president, membership chairperson, and the graduate advisor were the contact people for the undergrad candidates ever step of the way.

If you have something to offer the organization and believe you will be an asset, then go for it! It is a wonderful experience and a lot of fun, indeed!