GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,781
0 members and 1,781 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I read it. I can see this being true.

Also, sidebar comment, I really don't see the issue with some frills for recruitment. No frills gets a little ridiculous when chapters are only allowed to have cut fruit, because not everyone can afford a melon baller for round fruit *eyeroll*
Old 10-03-2018, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I read it. I can see this being true.

Also, sidebar comment, I really don't see the issue with some frills for recruitment. No frills gets a little ridiculous when chapters are only allowed to have cut fruit, because not everyone can afford a melon baller for round fruit *eyeroll*
Round fruit. Convincing women that one sorority is better than another since 1851.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-03-2018, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

It's all relative. She was a 10 compared to the general PNM population, but after joining, she was in a different stratosphere of beauty where she is no longer a ten.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

We had a woman that we asked to run the kitchen and "behind the scenes" stuff for all of recruitment. Not because she wasn't beautiful or wasn't a good conversationalist or because we didn't want her out among the PNMs, but because her major was events planning. And she ran that kitchen and behind the scenes like nobody's business. between rounds they flipped the house to clean up refreshments and get the next round set up like professionals. Then she graduated. I'm searching for another events planning person for this year...
my point being, in some houses it might be based on skill rather than appearances.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 10-03-2018, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Round fruit. Convincing women that one sorority is better than another since 1851.
Hilarious!!
Old 10-03-2018, 01:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
None of this is that shocking to me. It isn't how my sorority or national organization runs recruitment, but as a current advisor, nearly all of the chapters on the campus that I advise at have national reps at the recruitment process for the entire time.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Signature worthy material!

Old 10-03-2018, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
None of this is that shocking to me. It isn't how my sorority or national organization runs recruitment, but as a current advisor, nearly all of the chapters on the campus that I advise at have national reps at the recruitment process for the entire time.

I haven't a clue how recruitment works. I went to a non-competitive school, and my chapter size was 22.

I *do* recall Delta Gamma stressing then, and reiterating a few years ago, that selection of new members is a privilege afforded *only* to collegians. How well that translates in actual practice is outside my knowledge, but I remember it from 45 years ago because it was that important to me.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I can see these claims having more truth than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
I can't see any national sending someone to monitor each and every chapter's recruitment in order for National to determine who stays and who goes.
A few of the Leadership Consultants are always traveling around.

If Michigan typically has rush at the end of September to beginning of October, then that's a little later than the typical time for a million rushes in the fall. In that case, I could see a national organization deciding to prioritize sending someone to Michigan's recruitment over a chapter that doesn't have anything special going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
If everyone is only based on their superficial appearance, why are there so many diverse chapters across the country? Not just by race, but body build, hair color etc. Something does not seem right to me about this article. As I said, maybe its just because I'm VERY old school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
What horrifies me most is her claim that the national organization is actively involved in the process of ranking PNMs by looks and sorting active sisters into bump groups based on looks.
This is not Panhellenic of me, but it is my personal opinion. I'm just going to go out and say it. I am not pointing fingers and I don't care to discuss any specific thoughts on this, but I have noticed that some organizations do seem to have a lot of similarities re: reputation at a fair number of campuses from what I have seen and heard.

Yes, every sorority has more popular chapters on certain campuses and less popular chapters on other campuses, but it's not true that all GLOs are extremely, extremely diverse across the whole board. There are some organizations that tend to be more popular in general than others, and I think that their recruitment strategies certainly have a part to play. I do believe that GLOs tend to pull more similar than diverse girls across chapters. GLOs do recruit based on "values" of the organization after all.

I obviously don't have statistics to back this up nor do I know every chapter at every campus. And there are other variables at play too, I'll admit. I have made certain observations that lead me to think this way, but I'm certainly no expert in this.

For example, since we are discussing looks, I'll go out and say that if a GLO is known as the "hot sorority" at quite a few campuses...then I have always thought that it is likely someone at the top is prioritizing looks during recruitment.

I don't think that it necessarily has to be as overt as described in the document, however there are various ways that this can be done. I am not at all surprised if that is the case at some GLOs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
Now, to a National org actually having the chapters pre rank based on looks? and then having an alumna be the enforcer? If this is true, I would be shocked and appalled. I do realize that ranks and tiers are TOTALLY based on looks, and the chapters are trying to appeal to 18 year-olds, who value that far more than they should.
Ding ding ding.

Like you said, tiers are generally based on looks. And they are in part determined by what fraternity brothers think of the girls.

So if a sorority prioritizes PNMs based on looks --> overall more attractive pledge classes --> overall higher "ranks" on multiple campuses --> more people want to join due to the reputation/exclusivity of the chapter

It is appalling, but it is also smart.

Last edited by robinseggblue; 10-04-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Am I the only one who couldn't get past the first couple of pages? I wanted to take a red pencil to that document and edit the hell out of it. "WHAT IS THE POINT?" I kept screaming at the screen. So much blah blah blah blah blah... even went to the end and still couldn't figure out why the younger sister got released, or what exactly the problem(s) was(were). Dear Lort. Please don't tell me I have to read the whole thing. UGH. Times like these I miss Drolefille.

*shrug* Don't have that kind of time.

And 33, another priceless statement from you. "Round fruit" indeed. ETA: I stand corrected. ASTAlumna06, you are the bomb. I dedicate all my round fruit bowls to you in future. Thanks 33 for setting me straight (again).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 10-04-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:54 PM

ASTAlumna06 name checked the round fruit, not me. I bow to her eloquence.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
I believe all sororities have rating systems, this is an effort to rationalize recruitment, (I think is it called Values Based Recruitment.) So the chapters don't just emotionally vote. That being said, as much as we try to do rational decisions based on facts, emotions often overrule. So, putting a ranking on will this person fit in or contribute to the chapter can be usefull if the ranking is based on rational judgement.

I am sure most chapters also determine who are their strongest rushers. And you don't want to overwhelm the PNMs with ratios of 5 to 1 in the later rounds. However, this past month I did spend quite a bit of time with a chapter during recruitment and did notice the actives that were "not needed"in the recruitment room were the ones that have fuller figures. This saddenend me, I wish the chapter coupld have worked harder to make everyone feel valuable during recruitment.

Now, to a National org actually having the chapters pre rank based on looks? and then having an alumna be the enforcer? If this is true, I would be shocked and appalled. I do realize that ranks and tiers are TOTALLY based on looks, and the chapters are trying to appeal to 18 year-olds, who value that far more than they should.
At the biggest Greek schools near me, the tiers are not based entirely on looks. There are a few middle-tier groups that are considered the "hot" chapters, and they are sort of looked down on (especially by the top tier) because they don't consider social status, "old money," grades, etc. I'm not saying the "top" groups are a bunch of old bags, but a lot of them are not the cutest, just the most impressive.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
At the biggest Greek schools near me, the tiers are not based entirely on looks. There are a few middle-tier groups that are considered the "hot" chapters, and they are sort of looked down on (especially by the top tier) because they don't consider social status, "old money," grades, etc. I'm not saying the "top" groups are a bunch of old bags, but a lot of them are not the cutest, just the most impressive.
At my university, "tiers" definitely considered attractiveness, but a chapter needed to be well-rounded and couldn't rely on beauty for superiority. Chapters that had a reputation for "only" being hot and liking to party and had the lowest GPAs to support the stereotype were frequently criticized for not being more involved on campus, not being more academically focused, etc. Of course, plenty of members of those chapters were in honors societies and made the Dean's list, because stereotypes are just that.

I'll also add that schools like UMich aren't accepting unintelligent students. All the incoming students were involved in extracurriculars and are stellar applicants with an average GPA above 3.8. I doubt even the girls in the "hot" house are somehow significantly less intelligent than the girls in the "smart" house, but someone has to have the lowest GPA - which, to be fair, I don't know the GPAs of the UMich chapters so maybe this chapter also has the highest GPA!
Old 10-04-2018, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Am I the only one who couldn't get past the first couple of pages? I wanted to take a red pencil to that document and edit the hell out of it. "WHAT IS THE POINT?" I kept screaming at the screen. So much blah blah blah blah blah... even went to the end and still couldn't figure out why the younger sister got released, or what exactly the problem(s) was(were). Dear Lort. Please don't tell me I have to read the whole thing. UGH. Times like these I miss Drolefille.
Totally agree...she lost me with all of the words and repetitive rants about scoring PNMs based on appearance...plus her claim that Michigan's CPC does not allow ranking or scoring of PNMs.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

All chapters have some way they rank their PNM's. If you didn't how would you release some of the pool? But to pick solely on looks?

I believe that this is Very True for one GLO at my school. In fact, I believe I witnessed it during recruitment. A women with a clipboard walking up and down the line of PNM's. I have also heard rumblings from Alumnae about their GLO only picking the pretty girls and lots of legacies being not chosen.