GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,347
2 members and 2,345 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

I am no expert, but it seems that if they make it to pref, their chances are as good to receive a bid from their # 1 choice as at a non-variable quota campus. I would imagine that the culling of the herd would occur earlier, just like on a non-variable campus, but with tighter numbers. Titchou's analogy of two recruitments at the same time, on the same campus, is a great one.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
Questions for the RFM experts (if I can manage to ask these coherently):

Is variable quota in place for some chapters (who voted in favor) but not others (if some did not) during the same recruitment?

From the PNM side -- how does it affect overall placement rate?

Also from the PNM side -- could variable quota hypothetically cause a PNM, who ranks a large chapter first after pref, to be less likely to match with that chapter (due to reduced quota), than under the past system?
1) No. It applies to the entire campus.
2) Should not at all.
3) No because they are still inviting back numbers based on their history vis-a-vis quota. Remember, each chapter is inviting a percentage of PNMs that historically gives them quota.They aren't inviting 100 to get quota. They are inviting X% that gives them quota. All the chapters are doing this against that projected quota range for them.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
Questions for the RFM experts (if I can manage to ask these coherently):

Is variable quota in place for some chapters (who voted in favor) but not others (if some did not) during the same recruitment?

From the PNM side -- how does it affect overall placement rate?

Also from the PNM side -- could variable quota hypothetically cause a PNM, who ranks a large chapter first after pref, to be less likely to match with that chapter (due to reduced quota), than under the past system?
I think it will affect placement rate the first year or two because more PNM's will drop out. In theory, if 1/3 of the chapters are "strong" recruiting houses and 1/3 are "weak", in the past 1/3 of bids went to strong houses and 1/3 to weak. With variable quota, it could turn out that only 20% of the bids go to strong houses and 45% of the bids go to weak houses. I can see a lot of PNM's thinking that "their bid" got taken away from the houses they went into recruitment wanting, and not accept the bid they get or worse, drop out before they even have a chance to get to know the other chapters.

After several years, this system seems to work well for Arkansas because the PNM's who are not being considered by the strong recruiting chapters are cut very early in the week (because RFM is driving to that lowest quota range and their return rates are high = huge early cuts), giving them time to consider all their other options to go Greek.

I hope it works at Ole Miss but knowing the culture there, I do think it will take a year or three to be effective.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:47 PM

Re Arkansas, does it seem to have also improved member retention, not just numbers of bids issued? Are those women who were pledged to the "large quota" chapters 3 years ago still active and happy with their sorority experience?
Old 09-16-2016, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

If I were a mom of a PNM at Ole Miss, here's how I'd probably spend Recruitment Week:

Last edited by ChioLu; 09-16-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Of course I am in no way, shape or form advocating binge drinking or any other form of excessive alcohol consumption, but...LOL!
Old 09-19-2016, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

ChioLu, that is hysterical.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

And Will Forte is Greek -- Lambda Chi Alpha!

This may be me. My goddaughter (Chi O Big Sis' daughter) goes thru recruitment this week ...
Old 09-29-2016, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss recruitment Greek convocation is Sunday and recruitment starts following week- finally! So excited for all the girls. There is so much anticipation this year esp. with the variable quota- which I think will be a great thing. I personally know a few girls going thru and I wish them the very best of luck and am really pulling for them and all who are going thru.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Have fun girls and please consider all your options!
Old 10-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
If I were a mom of a PNM at Ole Miss, here's how I'd probably spend Recruitment Week:
LOL!
Old 10-13-2016, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Re Arkansas, does it seem to have also improved member retention, not just numbers of bids issued? Are those women who were pledged to the "large quota" chapters 3 years ago still active and happy with their sorority experience?
Official Documents you might find interesting: https://uagreeks.uark.edu/greek-life...eport-2014.pdf and http://studentaffairs.uark.edu/_reso...stribution.pdf.

My personal thoughts as an active alumna in the state: Retention is about the same, but with chapter totals as high as they are (most at or around 400), honestly - most chapters are OK with losing members who either aren't participating or pulling their member responsibilities.

Last edited by wavycutchip; 10-14-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

My rec girl is an AOII. As are two of her friends from her dorm that I was also keeping up with. Not sure where the four friend ended up. I seriously cried when she called after getting her bid.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 10-16-2016, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid day excitement

What was quota for each chapter? How many girls found a new home? Please post pics.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Today one of my Delta Gamma sisters' daughter accepted her bid to join the Delta Gamma chapter at Ole Miss!