GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,598
0 members and 2,598 guests
No Members online

Old 08-06-2009, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Yeah, "themes" at Rush parties are really a sorority thing. I've always admired fraternity rush as I imagine it is something like this:

Fraternity member: Hey there, I'm Mike, welcome to XYZ.
Rushee: Hi Mike, I'm Rob.
FM: We're grilling some food over there, drinks are in the cooler, help yourself to the chips and cookies too, Our cook is great and our moms and sweetheart bring us baked stuff all year. We're going to play some (horseshoes, volleyball, frisbee, lacrosse, whatever) later, and then tonight a band starts at 7.
R: Great, thanks.
FM: Hey Chris, let me introduce you to Rob. Rob this is my little bro Chris.

I'm surprised you can have beer at rush and play beer pong.
Pretty much sums it up. That's why I think Fraternity Recruitment stories would be boring; the general thought process usually doesn't consist of more than "These guys are cool, I think I could hang out with them."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I'm surprised you can have beer at rush and play beer pong.
I know at my school, there's never alcohol at the rush events during the week. The only events with alcohol are unofficial summer rush events and the 2 joint parties on the weekends of rush (and for those, there's no mention on advertisements and everyone signs a waver before they enter the party).

Senusret I (I think I spelled that right) had an interesting NPHC rush story.. but I'm sure his is the most interesting as it gets.

Every other story would just be recounting the nights going out until the bid is received.. and then going out some more until first rite of passage.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croakies n Bows View Post
There is no drinking during "official rush" anyone caught drinking anywhere if they are rushees will be kicked out of rush. but it is only during rush week. the other times is overlooked as long as it is in a cup. but by beer pong i meant "water pong."

we used to call it detox pong. or another variant red bull pong. but nowadays greek life wont allow cups at events. At first it started as no red cups at official/public events/philos/rush/etc. events. now its gone so far to include all color party cups; but excluding clear cups and fast-food related cups.

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio View Post
we used to call it detox pong. or another variant red bull pong. but nowadays greek life wont allow cups at events. At first it started as no red cups at official/public events/philos/rush/etc. events. now its gone so far to include all color party cups; but excluding clear cups and fast-food related cups.
The clear cups is probably so you can tell at a glance if there is beer in there or not.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
The clear cups is probably so you can tell at a glance if there is beer in there or not.
you are correct sir. all other manner of party cups were banned bc it presented a bad image to passersby. understandable but still a pain in ass when you plan food events.

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

The clear cups are usually more expensive I noticed. Not to mention harder to find. Reminds me when I was in Walmart near a college. In the games section were ping pong balls and red dixie cups. I lmao when I saw that.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The clear cups are usually more expensive I noticed. Not to mention harder to find. Reminds me when I was in Walmart near a college. In the games section were ping pong balls and red dixie cups. I lmao when I saw that.
I see this all the time down on my campus
Old 08-07-2009, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectinpurple View Post
I see this all the time down on my campus
I remember once I was on a shopping run. I bought a thing of 100 cups since were having a mixer. As I'm paying for it the guy asked if I was buying them for beerpong. It was pretty funny.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I love when stuff like that happens... a lot of times when me and my roomie grocery shop we get weird looks from the cashier when you buy completely innocent items; cranberry juice, ice, coke...

I guess it just comes with the territory of being a college student
Old 08-07-2009, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

lol yeah. The kid at the counter was college age as well, and I was buyign 100 red cups so yeah. When he asked I answered "No Comment". I then payed and he told me to have fun playing beerpong. I then went next door to buy the beer. I was so glad I wasn't wearing letters.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
lol yeah. The kid at the counter was college age as well, and I was buyign 100 red cups so yeah. When he asked I answered "No Comment". I then payed and he told me to have fun playing beerpong. I then went next door to buy the beer. I was so glad I wasn't wearing letters.
lmao. Was this still in Walmart? Ours has a liquor section...
Old 08-07-2009, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

No this was in Shoprite. In NJ there is usually a Shoprite Liquor Store located next to teh ShopRite Grocery Store. I know some states like NY and Ohio allow grocery Stores ot sell beer.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Huh, I've never known a grocery store to not sell liquor. Weird.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah in NJ you can only sell liquor in a dedicated liquor store. You can also buy bottles of beer from bars I know, but that is usually really expensive.

ETA: I lived in Ohio for a few months a couple of years ago. The first time I went grocery shopping I was shocked to see a beer section.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I still find it weird that you can only buy liquor from a liquor store in NJ... is that like a regional thing or only in NJ?

I don't even want to imagine how expensive it would be to buy from the bar.