GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,109
4 members and 2,105 guests
John

Old 02-21-2006, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
AGR's at Western Kentucky University

normally i don't post in this realm let alone start a thread, but i thought this was important if only because of the quick but prudent response of the university and because i am such an animal right's person...

- marissa

Official WKU stance

Campus News article
A GD
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-21-2006, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 02-21-2006, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard from some WKU students that there were reports that the goat had some internal bleeding... suggestive of, well, penetration of some sorts. Has anyone else heard this too?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:53 PM

Wow...seriously, wow.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

What the hell possesses people to think like this....???? I just cannot understand it. I would have DIED had I had to answer questions about this kind of thing when I was President! Brothers across the country must be oh so proud of this "alledged" incident! (my spelling is a little off today, sorry!)

Sorry, a little mean, but for real!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UKTriDelt
I heard from some WKU students that there were reports that the goat had some internal bleeding... suggestive of, well, penetration of some sorts. Has anyone else heard this too?
there are a MILLION AND ONE stories going around - but i am pretty sure the herald article addressed this -->

"Examiners found abrasions in the goat's rectum, but could not determine what caused them, said Lorrie Hare, director of the Humane Society."

<-- from the herald article...

edited to add: i am now SO GLAD i chose the "goat incident" school for my masters...
A GD

Last edited by squirrely girl; 02-21-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by squirrely girl
there are a MILLION AND ONE stories going around...
This is one that I'd wait to see/hear something official about before believing it.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

that's why i only quoted what the director of the humane society in bowling green had to say about the goat - not all of the people on campus...

=)
A GD
Old 02-24-2006, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

WKU Suspends AGR Fraternity Three Years

http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/2367806.html

WKU Suspends AGR Fraternity Three Years
Gene Birk

Dean Howard Bailey's report cites "Alpha Gamma Rho" with nudity, psychological hazing involving an animal, and alcohol abuse.

Bowling Green Police cited AGR member, Trenton Jackson, with "cruelty to animals" after they found a goat in the frat house. Western's investigation also says there was underage drinking that night, and four initiates and at least five members streaked in and out of the frat house.

Dean bailey says ten or eleven students may face individual sanctions, but no suspensions. Bailey says the three-year suspension will give the AGR's time to correct the mistakes they have made, and provide a new start for future members. He also says western will now look at its overall student behavior policy.

Bailey says the investigative team interviewed all 29 members of "Alpha Gamma Rho," and he is satisfied they got to the truth of the incident. Bowling Green Police are still investigating.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

AGRs get harshest penalties

http://www.wkuherald.com/media/paper....wkuherald.com

All 29 members expelled
By: Corey Paul
Issue date: 3/7/06 Section: News

Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity has been barred from displaying their letters on their house on Chestnut Street for an indefinite amount of time.

The fraternity's National Board of Directors sentenced Western's chapter to the highest possible form of discipline after a hazing incident that took place during the fraternity's initiation night.

All 29 AGR members were expelled from the fraternity permanently, and the chapter is under probation indefinitely, said Phil Josephson, executive director of the national fraternity.

"They have no authority to operate as they once did," he said.

Former AGR president Brian Peyton declined to comment.

The punishments stemmed from an early-morning discovery of an animal at the AGR house. Police responded to a noise complaint on Feb. 16 at 1436 Chestnut St., where they discovered a goat in a basement storage room.

A member told police the animal was being used to convince pledges they would have sex with it, the Herald previously reported.

The police also discovered alcohol and intoxicated minors.

Henderson freshman Trenton Jackson, an AGR member, was cited for animal cruelty in the second degree by the Bowling Green Police Department.

The national organization found the chapter guilty of violating the national AGR policies against hazing, pledging, illegal initiation and violating university policies, Josephson said.

They also violated the national organization's code of conduct by streaking, he said.

The four hazed pledges were denied acceptance into AGR after the national organization discovered they didn't meet the academic requirements of the fraternity, Josephson said.

The former chapter members can't stay in the AGR house while being recognized as a fraternity, said Jenks Britt, one of three trustees responsible for managing the AGR policy.

Britt also said there hasn't been a decision regarding whether the former members can remain in the house on a permanent basis.

All AGR paraphernalia will be removed from the house, said Britt, who is also an associate professor of animal science at Western.

The sanctions came almost a week after Western suspended the fraternity for three years.

AGR is the fourth fraternity in the last 10 years to be suspended by Western for hazing.

"It's a cyclical thing," said Charley Pride, director of student activities. "Part of the life-cycle of some groups is you have bad years and come back in a few years."

Pride said five groups have undergone "re-colonization," in which they started over stronger with new members after getting into trouble.

The AGRs could come back from Western's three-year suspension early, after their offending members have graduated, Pride said.

The national organization's statutes require the AGR chapter to be reviewed each year, Josephson said. Its charter could be permanently revoked if the national organization finds no significant attempt at improvement.

"We really only want to come back to WKU if we can compliment the vision and mission of the university, and we certainly weren't doing that in the short-term," he said.

AGRs didn't appeal the sanctions given by Western, but they can still appeal the punishments from the national organization.

"It's embarrassing that we don't have a chapter at WKU and we hope to have one in the future," Josephson said. "We believe it can be done, but if it can't, we won't be back for a while."

The goat is still in foster care until the animal cruelty case is settled in court, said Lorrie Hare, director of the Bowling Green/Warren County Humane Society. The case will go to trial in district court on March 16.
A GD