GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Phi Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,359
2 members and 2,357 guests
Cookiez17, PrettyBoy

Old 03-15-2005, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to fliotasigep
Here's my take on the whole issue, short and sweet,

Traditional chapters are an in-group, as are BMP chapters, the differences are obvious, what is not however are the similarities. What nationals has not done, is to educate the two of them together, about each other, which would solve many problems. Carlson's are run from a strict BMP standpoint which is detrimental to traditional chapter development, which should also be included. Every Carlson I have been to, I have been asked about BMP, and I always tell it how it is, not that much different from traditional. Don’t get me wrong, I know the differences exist and are significant in some ways, but many aspects are the same, big brothers still exist here, along with making paddles, having pledge classes, and doing interviews with older brothers and chores around the house. The biggest thing I have seen is that most traditional chapters are afraid that BMP chapters are letting in any joe blow that walks off the street and signs up. This again is not true, as the "pledge period" if you will is often significantly longer than traditional chapters, as most members who rush in august don't become initiated until March or April. On another note, the big issue I have heard is about our ceremonies...and rest assured that any member who does not deserve to, is never revealed the secrets of Sigma Phi Epsilon. With that being said, I am applying for a position with nationals when my stay here at USF is done, and the one thing I want to accomplish is to show people the new future of SigEp chapters, not strict balanced man, as it loses some of the pledging prestige, I agree, but rather a blend of balanced man and traditional aspects, incorporating the best of both worlds if you will, which is where I believe the future of this fraternity is headed. The development process of the BMP is unparalleled, as many other national organizations are adopting programs similar to it. Again, SigEp has set the precedence in a positive fashion. If you wish to disagree I would enjoy debating about it, but in the end, we all agree on one thing:

"I believe in this fraternity because it would have me strive in every way to live up to the high principles for which it stands. These are VIRTUE, DILIGENCE, and BROTHERLY LOVE." so when it all comes down to it, we all agree on the same thing, so let us be happy with that at least.

So maybe it wasnt short, sorry
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-17-2005, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

The biggest difference i have noted is the formation of the chapter itself within the two different programs. I am from a Balanced Man chapter and at times i like it and at times i dont. The most notable differences i have noticed is the way new members are treated, in balanced man at ours for example on the first meeting you get to vote if there was one. Whereas in our neighboring chapter which is traditional, you have to pledge and earn your keep there. I like the ideals of the balanced man and if it is ran properly it is an amazing system, however in our case, the E.C. is not what it should be and therefore can not run a BMP chapter the way it should be ran and it turns into a mess. A strong VP of Member Development is ESSENTIAL for a BMP to work the way it needs to and it is a chapter wide effort. But it must be a great program or else other fraternities would not turn to us for advice on how to work a program like that in their fraternities (like S gAy E). SigEp -holla.

HFF,
Old 05-06-2005, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone speaks about how well their chapter is doing after being converted to BMP. My chapter has always been a traditional chapter and we do everything Balanced Man Chapters do except we have a new member education period. I obviously won't get into that but I'm sure everyone knows what I mean. My point here is that we are the biggest chapter at our school, we have the highest GPA, we do the most community service, we have many brothers in our chapter in leadership positions in other organizations on campus, and we'll never win another Buc Cup because we aren't a BMP chapter and HQ hates it because it proves that you don't need the BMP to be a successful. You just need a competent chapter.

Edit: We won a Buc Cup at Conclave 2005...go figure.

Last edited by LAGammaSigEp03; 12-03-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Yea I agree with you, I think whatever works best for your chapter is what it should be...like Im sure the development of the traditional chapter there at LA Gamma has been honed down to an art, and works great. And that is kick ass teh we completely dominate there, its an accomplishment to be proud of, and it is unfortunate that you cant be rewarded the Buc Cup. BUt like in our case the shitty thing is, is that well first of all, our chapter counselor, well lets not go there...but our RD is f'n awesome. He is goin to be the saving grace of our chapter. We struggle at times, especially with our leadership. There are very few strong leaders inside the chapter, and its hard for them to run it. But as far as BMP is concerned, its a good idea, however it is NOT for everyone i dont think. Personally, i think we could excel farther as a traditional, but thats not up to me. It would be great if HQ would intervene and help us out more. BMP works when ran properly, but when its not, gosh its a mess. It is a decent recruitment tool as well, other than that...its a matter of chapter preference. Egh, i dont know.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me start off by saying that I'm the newly elected president of a southern, traditional chapter of SigEp. Let me say a few things about the BMP some of which is what I've observed and some of which I have heard.

A few people have touched on this, but there are a few reasons that we (my chapter) believe nationals began the BMP. The first is hazing. Obviously, every national fraternity that uses pledge programs claim to have no hazing, but I would think that none of these actually do. The way the BMP has been set up seems to be a better protection against hazing than anything else out there. I believe that the other main reason for nationals starting the BMP was numbers. I think that they reasoned that the BMP would draw more recruits than a traditional system because of the lack of hazing and the easy entrance into the fraternity.

There have been a few negative side effects. First of all, I think that SigEp has lost its selectiveness in recruiting guys. Someone on here said that his chapter would give almost anyone bids because the fraternity was strong enough to mold anyone into the right guy. That's terrible. A fraternity is supposed to be an elite organization. That's the idea that was sold to me when I rushed and I still believe it today. Allowing anyone to get in takes away from the meaning of that. Also, as many have said, the BMP takes away from the unity of the chapter. From what I understand, each new member works mostly on their own to fulfill their goals. This is completely opposite from pledging a traditional chapter. There's nothing worse than watching your pledge brother take another shot of Texas Pete after you just missed a question about the LROB. This is also related to the next side effect: the BMP has effectively cut the balls of our fraternity. Going through a pledge season and proving yourself to the fraternity and yourself says something. It's meaningful. It says that you are fearless and is something to be proud of.

Many traditional SigEps will say that BMP SigEps are "douche bags" as TheGoat said (not to validate his attitude, but this is a commonly held view). Sure these guys may be balanced in that they make good grades and do community service but are they the guys they party hard and get the girls? Don't get me wrong, making top grades, holding IFC positions, doing community service, and winning intramurals are all things to be proud of, but lets not get away from the fact that we are in a social fraternity.

Let me end by saying that there's a lot I don't know about traditional chapters. If I've said something inaccurate feel free to correct me. These are my thoughts and the thoughts of those in my chapter.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I just reread what I wrote. At the end, I meant to say there's a lot I don't know about BMP chapters. Just clearing that up.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:02 PM

You can edit your post if you like by clicking on the "edit" button at the bottom of it, changing what you want to change and resubmitting.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
have been asked about BMP, and I always tell it how it is, not that much different from traditional.
Each chapter is different but BMP & Traditional Sig Ep chapters in the South are completely different. Every BMP chapter Sig Ep I've met sucks. Sorry, but that is just what I've experienced. I'm sure there are exceptions but this is my experience. I'm sure each traditional chapter has their share of d-bags as well, but just not as many as BMP.

I think the BMP has ruined the fraternity.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I will never call a BMP member my brother. I can't. Anything that changes the experience solely to increase numbers and revenue will never have my respect. The idiots at nationals are very lucky the South hasn't broken off.

The idiots at nationals are whoring themselves to the media and to insurance companies, and it's taxing on the fraternity. First, SigEp is less tolerant of its chapters that get in trouble than any other major national fraternity. One strike and your chapter is gone. Real brotherly love there. But hey, they don't care--it makes us look better.

This has practical problems as well. Many chapters that are kicked off campus and given the option to either lose their charter or become BMP choose the former. The result? Rather than returning to campus, they become sketchy and unregulated. Hence why schools like William and Mary, College of Charleston, and Wake Forest have earned reputations as the "date rape" fraternities on campus--something no chapter on campus would have. Nationals could easily give them charters back as traditional chapters, but instead opts to save its face and let dangerous situations bubble.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:44 AM
GreekChat Member

How can you say all that when you're from a BMP chapter?
Old 12-30-2005, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UNKSigEp
How can you say all that when you're from a BMP chapter?
Thoughtful. But I'm not. This is your 4th post saying the exact same thing (you even extrapolate to say I'm from Texas Tech in one!), and your 4th one with not evidence to support it.

I seem to know a lot about Carolina and Virginia area SigEp chapters for a Texan, no?

Maybe actally criticize what I've written, rather than make shit up, and we can have a thoughtful discussion. Otherwise, you're still a lesbian eskimo from the University of Arkansas, and I have just as much proof for that as you have for me.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I am an alumni from a traditional chapter. We lost our charter because we pretty much refused to do the BMP and we were not liked by Nationals. We were Louisiana Delta and true non BMP conformists even though we were colonized BMP.

The BMP is ridiculous. It is turning Sig Ep into a Honors fraternity instead of a social and is a great example of the feminisation of males across the country. I am proud to say I earned my knowledge of our ritual.

Christopher L. Day a.k.a "Daygo"
Louisiana Delta Pin# 0034

All you undergrads out there who are traditional, "Fight the BMP". At least fight for a chapters choice to be traditional or BMP.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Is the Sig Ep chapter at Southern Miss a BM Chapter? Also, on the Sig Ep website some chapters have RLC next to their name? What does that mean?
Old 02-24-2006, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
Is the Sig Ep chapter at Southern Miss a BM Chapter? Also, on the Sig Ep website some chapters have RLC next to their name? What does that mean?
I don't know about Southern Miss. RLC stands for Residential Learning Community, nationals' retarded new name for "fraternity house." God I hate nationals.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

You've got to be kidding me? Residential learning community?
Daygosigep