GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,292
1 members and 2,291 guests
Xidelt

Old 06-28-2000, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

<<I am not above giving you the basics.>>
--Well, at least someone isn't. I didn't imagine that giving someone the basic history of the calls (i.e., who started doing it first) was such priveleged information. I can understand certain parts of the calls being something that's regarded private.
<<If you see a soror or frater across the street or something, you can "call" to them?
--Was this question answered? Can it be answered without compromising ritual secrets? Believe me, I have no desire to learn anyone else's ritual secrets (my hands are full with just mine!), I do know that I've been hearing these calls for years, and I just wondered.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-28-2000, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Thumbs up

OK, so I've learned a very good lesson here: make sure to educate our candidates (new members/pledges/littles/etc.) on how to firmly but pleasantly respond when an inappropriate question is asked by a non-sister, or someone who doesn't need to know. It's not a crime on the questioner's part to ask (unless they just *know* better, as is often the case on the 'net)...however it depending on how a sister responds, the questioner's opinion of the sister and our sisterhood could be compromised. And no one needs that.
Old 06-28-2000, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

equeen - DITTO! Thanks for summing it all up for us on a positive note!
Old 06-29-2000, 03:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
EQueen...Sister Greek,
I understand you want to make everything by way of "interests" neat, clean, and simple and fun. But the real truth is... that's not how it works with the NPHC organizations.

Quite possibly, its a cultural difference. For example, the very referral of "interests" as "candidates-new members/pledges/littles" is out of line with our way of initiating business.

Truth be told, any sincere candidate of any NPHC organization knows and understands the unwritten rules without any stroking or cuddling. Its not expected. We don't pledge potentials with the understanding this is a fun college thing. We are looking at LIFETIME COMMITTMENT potential. Consequently, the tolernce level is low in the area of aloof "how can I be down with the Zetas or any other NPHC organzation".

My observation of nearly 10 years in an NPHC organization takes a show and PROVE approach. If you have to talk about it...you probably are not doing it....and probably are not WORTHY...and yes, I meant WORTHY. Bottom line, every young lady who expresses an interest in Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated is NOT worthy.

As we continue to learn and observe more about "Interest X" more than likely at some point there will be a demonstration or illustration through actions that will define whether or not Interest X is a viable potential. And if they deemed so fortunate then and only then will they be considered a candidate.

I say all of this illustrate, we take the process of weeding out interests to potentials VERY seriously. And by the way there is a difference between being an "interest" and being a "potential".
More often than not we don't mix intention. In other words, you will not get the okie doke on issues of importance.

Quote:
Originally posted by equeen:
OK, so I've learned a very good lesson here: make sure to educate our candidates (new members/pledges/littles/etc.) on how to firmly but pleasantly respond when an inappropriate question is asked by a non-sister, or someone who doesn't need to know. It's not a crime on the questioner's part to ask (unless they just *know* better, as is often the case on the 'net)...however it depending on how a sister responds, the questioner's opinion of the sister and our sisterhood could be compromised. And no one needs that.

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 06-29-2000, 08:49 AM
Artimis

A few clarifcations and then hopefully a non-intrusive question.

With equeen's reference to candidate, she is not refering to a potential, rush guest, but rather new un-initiated sisters undergrowing education. Formally known as a pledge.

I didn't go back and re-read what Sister Greek wrote, but I believe equeen was attempting to write a resolve to the discussion. In doing so, she was refering to how to educate committeed sisters on dealings with non-sisters and non-public information. Some of us are young groups and we do not have all of this down. ;>

Finer Woman: I agree action and deed are two different thing, but a misconception does exist that non-NPHC sororites and fraternities arn't for life. I recognize comparing persception the NPHC have a stronger visual commitment then NPC/IFC. But that doesn't mean some of us don't get it. Look at the number of senior memebers that post on greekchat - a majority of us are alumn.

Now, hopefully the un-intrusive question:
NPHC's recruitment/rush is structured differently then NPC/IFC. Was this always the case? Or did the current process evolve?

Quote:
Originally posted by Finer Woman10-A-91:
EQueen...Sister Greek,
I understand you want to make everything by way of "interests" neat, clean, and simple and fun. But the real truth is... that's not how it works with the NPHC organizations.

Quite possibly, its a cultural difference. For example, the very referral of "interests" as "candidates-new members/pledges/littles" is out of line with our way of initiating business.

Truth be told, any sincere candidate of any NPHC organization knows and understands the unwritten rules without any stroking or cuddling. Its not expected. We don't pledge potentials with the understanding this is a fun college thing. We are looking at LIFETIME COMMITTMENT potential. Consequently, the tolernce level is low in the area of aloof "how can I be down with the Zetas or any other NPHC organzation".
[SNIP]
Old 06-29-2000, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
You are right. I was a bit presumptious regarding non-NPHC organizations's life long committments. I was not aware that you participate in graduate chapters and continue your service to the community long after college.

On another note, the current way things are done is not new at all in terms of expressing interest. We excercise our interests "humbly". You will hear this OVER and OVER by NPHC members.

Actually in the past it was even more difficult

Quote:
Originally posted by Artimis:
Now, hopefully the un-intrusive question:
NPHC's recruitment/rush is structured differently then NPC/IFC. Was this always the case? Or did the current process evolve?

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!