GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,236
1 members and 2,235 guests
MSKKG

Old 10-30-2012, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck and stick around Greek Chat! Congratulations on your sisterhood.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquababy View Post
The reason I posted twice was because the first one was just me saying hi, i'm new here, I didn't know if people would actually respond or not, so I started the second one. Thanks to AlphaFrog for sticking up for me

But, to everyone else who actually dispensed helpful advice: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Especially the 3 who posted after my last response, your answers were incredibly wise & really made me feel a whole lot better. They got me thinking in a new way, and reassured me that its not realistic to love or even like all your sisters, despite what it may seem like during recruitment.

I had dinner with a bunch of new members before our new member meeting and chapter meeting tonight, and I talked to some girls who I haven't really hung out with before & I really liked them. Just validating all of you who told me it takes longer than 3 weeks to 1)meet everyone and 2) become friends with people I have been reading similar threads, and thats also made me see that other girls feel the same way. I've also thought about the possibility of going through next year and getting no bid at all, and that is definitely not what I want. So basically, I'm pretty much decided that I will be staying, but if anyone has any new insights or encouragements, etc., please feel free to share!
I'm really glad you had a change of heart. Remember most of the girls in your new member class are also probably feeling insecure. It's OK to not love everyone, but they are your sisters so do your best to respect them and everyone in your sisterhood. If you don't feel like people are reaching out to you, then try reaching out to them. You'll be surprised at what you'll find! Good luck and definitely stick around GC...

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the update, aquababy! Hope it just continues to get better!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquababy View Post
The reason I posted twice was because the first one was just me saying hi, i'm new here, I didn't know if people would actually respond or not, so I started the second one. Thanks to AlphaFrog for sticking up for me

But, to everyone else who actually dispensed helpful advice: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Especially the 3 who posted after my last response, your answers were incredibly wise & really made me feel a whole lot better. They got me thinking in a new way, and reassured me that its not realistic to love or even like all your sisters, despite what it may seem like during recruitment.

I had dinner with a bunch of new members before our new member meeting and chapter meeting tonight, and I talked to some girls who I haven't really hung out with before & I really liked them. Just validating all of you who told me it takes longer than 3 weeks to 1)meet everyone and 2) become friends with people I have been reading similar threads, and thats also made me see that other girls feel the same way. I've also thought about the possibility of going through next year and getting no bid at all, and that is definitely not what I want. So basically, I'm pretty much decided that I will be staying, but if anyone has any new insights or encouragements, etc., please feel free to share!
I'm glad you decided to give it more time.

Considering the hyped-up festivities of rush, the weeks immediately following may feel like a bit of a lull as campus life settles into more of a routine for actives and new members. Many girls may wonder what would be different if they had listed the other sorority first at pref -- second guessing a big decision isn't unusual.

You will have so many decisions facing you in the next few years (Should I change majors? What if I don't get in grad school? What if I had taken the other job? What if I hate that city?) and plenty of opportunities to second-guess yourself with each decision.

All that you (or any of us) can do is make the best decision at the time with the information we have and gut feeling we experience. There is potentially something about any decision that may cause you to doubt yourself, but try not to allow a doubt to take control and shape your perspective. You control your perspective. This would be true regardless of which sorority you joined.

There is a reason you made the decision you did at pref, and there is a reason your sorority wanted you too. Have confidence in the decision you made at the time, plant yourself there, and choose to bloom.

Hope you continue to discover new friends and develop in your sisterhood -- all the best to you!
Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
Many girls may wonder what would be different if they had listed the other sorority first at pref -- second guessing a big decision isn't unusual.
I would amend that to say at some time over their college years - hell, probably PAST your college years - MOST girls will have at least a passing thought of "what if?" It doesn't mean you are disloyal or disenchanted or unhappy with your sorority. It means you are a thinking human with an open mind. Some say your faith isn't real if it is never tested - it's kind of like that.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad you met some women that you liked and had a good time. That's a great start. Keep it up. Your attitude will make all the difference, too. Enjoy this time period. It can be so much fun!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Yay Aquababy!! Keep working at it.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TPARose
First of all, let me say: I'm glad that you are sticking it out and trying to make it work.

I think that something that new members and sometimes collegiate sisters fail to see is that in the short four years (if you are lucky) of your college years, your chapter is going to change A LOT. Seniors are going to graduate and new members are going to join. Even if there are things that might not sit right with you now, doesn't mean that it's always going to be that way.

Now, as a member of the organization, it is up to you to do your best to help shape it in the way you would like it to be. Volunteer. Organize events. Help recruit women of integrity. Make the sorority of your own. This isn't going to occur in 3 weeks, but when you look back in 3 months, and 3 years, you can see what an impact you've made.

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPARose View Post
First of all, let me say: I'm glad that you are sticking it out and trying to make it work.

I think that something that new members and sometimes collegiate sisters fail to see is that in the short four years (if you are lucky) of your college years, your chapter is going to change A LOT. Seniors are going to graduate and new members are going to join. Even if there are things that might not sit right with you now, doesn't mean that it's always going to be that way.

Now, as a member of the organization, it is up to you to do your best to help shape it in the way you would like it to be. Volunteer. Organize events. Help recruit women of integrity. Make the sorority of your own. This isn't going to occur in 3 weeks, but when you look back in 3 months, and 3 years, you can see what an impact you've made.

Good luck.
This is so absolutely true.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I think, you should look at it like a relationship with a guy or your family. You might not like your brother at all but you have a common bond. If you have someone to eat lunch with or just to watch tv with in the parlor that is better than being alone. Maybe, on tv every sorority girl walks hand in hand and finishes each others sentences but again this is like your family. You won't get a long with every girl or have anything in common but you're bound to make a best friend in the new members class or "YOUR BIG", that's a friend to start. Regardless, sorority life isn't forever it's to cultivate you as a person so if after 4 years you have one true friend from the sorority and stay in touch that's better than most of us do in our busy lives. If people didn't like you then you wouldn't have been chosen. My mom did have a shy reclusive sorority sister who was a chemistry major, she only did like meetings or an occasional greek league sp
Old 11-02-2012, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Sport but it was still a group sorority event, nobody can not invite you. You belong, you're part of it so enjoy the small talk or dinner with all the girls Bc you're still one of them. Beats sitting on your couch with your cat.