GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,555
1 members and 2,554 guests
LaneSig

Old 03-09-2006, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Why?

I understand that this is an important topic, but unless a GLO is forcing their NM's to smoke it, it doesn't belong here.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-09-2006, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
If Stephanie Tanner can get addicted, I guess anyone can.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
Quote:
My sister and her husband have been working recovering Crystal Meth addicts and they told me that the police and the recovering addicts have all reported that Crystal Meth dealers are mixing it with joints and other harder drugs.
First of all, don't buy weed from a meth dealer.

Second, always roll your own.

Third, drugs are bad.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhrozenGod01
Third, drugs are bad.
When I read this, I hear Mr. Mackey from South Park saying it with an "mmmkay?"
Old 03-09-2006, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Crystal meth can sound pretty good sometimes.

http://www.thecrystalmethod.com/
Old 03-09-2006, 03:38 PM

Re: Why?

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeBecky
I understand that this is an important topic, but unless a GLO is forcing their NM's to smoke it, it doesn't belong here.
Actually, I asked myself the same question.

It's a judgement call.

At first, I locked the thread. Then it occurred to me that there are a number of "generic" threads about alcohol abuse, education and a few others that are not specific to any GLO, chapter or person.

So, I reopened it.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thank You DeltAlum. A Good Call! It does affect us today more than ever.

Drugs of any kind can be addictive if used or even when someone spikes something.

It can harm or kill a person who is not even aware of it.

It is not a fun subject as to many people die from drugs, Legal or Illegal.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-09-2006, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

DeltAlum is right. Risk Management is not just dealing with Hazing of NMs. It deals with educating members to make choices to avoid risky situations, which is why so many sororities (can't speak for the fraternities) have guest speakers talking about drinking and driving, safe sex, etc. All of these are Risk Management Issues.

Crystal Meth is one area that has been relatively unexplored. However, I double checked on things and not only is it being used to lace joints (rolled by yourself or otherwise) it is the pot inside the joint that is laced, so unless you have your own grow-op, you run a risk and should be aware of it.

In addition, the police have been finding it laced in the club drugs - Ecstasy (which already contains a high percentage of meth ... aka speed), GHB, and coke.

If you are thinking of making a presentation to your chapter on this issue, look around for reputable information, such as Roger Lake's Web site. He has been dealing with meth in the States for over a decade so you can see it is not a new issue, just unexplored.

http://www.wsnia.org
Old 03-12-2006, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

WASHINGTON - Suffer from springtime allergies? You could be among the first affected by the USA Patriot Act poised for final congressional passage this week.

Besides terrorism, the bill takes aim at the production of methamphetamine, a highly addictive drug that cannot be manufactured without a key ingredient of everyday cold and allergy medicines. The bill would impose new limits next month for how much relief a person can buy over the counter.

And beginning Sept. 30, it'll take a flash of ID to buy that medication.

The legislation sponsored by Sens. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif. and Jim Talent, R-Mo., would blanket the nation with one policy that would put medicines containing pseudoephedrine behind the counter and out of the reach of meth cooks.

"If we leave it up to local jurisdiction, we're simply going to move the problem from one jurisdiction to another without addressing the root cause," said Fresno, Calif., Police Chief Jerry Dyer.

Pass a state or local law cracking down on methamphetamine production, set off a cycle that goes something like this:

The black market price of cold tablets needed to make the drug skyrockets, driving the meth makers to the jurisdiction next door. There, they buy it in bulk — legally, cheaply, anonymously.

That is, until that state or city gets tough on meth with new laws of its own.

Rather than wait for localities to stitch together a patchwork of anti meth policies, the provision of the Patriot Act would leave meth producers nowhere to run but out of the country. It takes aim at the meth trade's weakest point — the supply of pseudoephedrine.

Beginning 30 days after President Bush signs the law, expected sometime this week, purchase limits go into effect. One person would be limited to buying 300, 30-mg pills in a month or 120 such pills in a day. The measure would make an exception for "single-use" sales — individually packaged pseudoephedrine products.

Many retailers, such as Kmart, Walgreens, Target and Wal-Mart, have already adopted guidelines to limit customer access to cold products or to limit their sales.

Similar state and local restrictions have caused seizures of meth labs to plunge by double-digit percentages in such states as Arkansas, Oregon and Missouri.

At the same time, drug agents began finding more meth from Mexican cartels on the street.

Still, closing down domestic meth labs is of unique urgency to public health and safety, law enforcement officials said.

The drug is made in clandestine labs with battery acid, drain cleaner or other chemicals that help turn the cold and allergy medicine into powder.

One quart of ether, another ingredient, holds the explosive power of several sticks of dynamite, said Sgt. Jason Grellner of the Franklin County, Mo., Narcotics Enforcement Unit, which has seized 600 meth labs since 1998 in a jurisdiction of 100,000 people.

Wading into the toxic soup of a meth lab puts officers in situations for which they are not necessarily trained, Grellner said.

"They have to know the job of a hazardous-waste chemist. They have to have the mindset of a firefighter. They have to be a natural-resources worker," Grellner said. "Wearing that many hats is a safety concern."

And an abandoned lab becomes an environmental hazard, pointed out Dyer.

"They were leaving the chemicals and equipment out in the open and vacating the property," Dyer said. "They found out that we started to trace down suspects with that equipment. Now they are burying these same items underground."

Oklahoma provides evidence that driving out meth labs doesn't mean getting rid of meth. Oklahoma's meth lab seizures have fallen 90 percent since April 2004, when it became the first state to ban over-the-counter sales of everyday cold and allergy medications.

At the same time, seizures of smokeable Mexican meth known as "crystal ice" rose nearly fivefold, from 384 cases in the 15 months before the law to 1,875 since.

"We're going to see trafficking by Mexican cartel organizations, on a much larger scale," Grellner said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060307/...4yBHNlYwNmYw--
Old 03-12-2006, 09:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Not to mention how bad it f*cks up your teeth!

I am in the Northwest and I see plenty of tweakers with the meth mouth
Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
you've gotta be nuts to get into crystal meth. The crap that goes into it- including DRAIN CLEANER
Old 03-12-2006, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I have the distinct pleasure of living in Brevard County, Florida which had the second highest number of meth arrests/meth lab busts in the state of Florida last year. In the last month alone, they busted 3 meth labs.

When meth is made in a house that ahs been converted into a lab, the chemicals are absorbed into the drywall, the airducts, the carpet, every inch of the house. Quite often, the labs are set up in attic space using rerouted air conditioning ducts. The chemicals/posions just permeate the house itself. Additionally, since there are so many different checmicals used in the production of meth, there is a high risk of ground water contamination, as most meth producers just dump the chemicals into the backyard, where it then leaches into the water table/aquifers.

In many cases since these meth labs are mostly done in rental homes, the houses are condemned until they are completely cleaned by the owner footing the bill for special Haz Mat services. Once a home is certified as having been a meth lab, it is deemed unoccupiable until the state has determined it is no longer a health risk.

You want to see how meth can make your appearance change?

Visit Faces of Meth to see how meth effects your looks!