GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 973
0 members and 973 guests
No Members online

Old 08-16-2001, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Question "Forced" prefs?

Unlike when I was in school, many Panhellenics now require that a PNM attend the maximum number of parties she can. In other words, if she gets 5 invitations and there will be 5 parties in the next round, she must attend all, even if she doesn't want to go to XYZ's party.

My question: does this extend all the way to pref parties? Can a PNM be forced to attend a pref party for a sorority that she didn't even want to attend earlier events for? And if she suicides the sorority she really wanted because she never planned to attend XYZ's events anyway, can she be penalized?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-16-2001, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
It totally depends on the school's Panhellenic Council's recruitment policies. At many schools, it does apply to preference too. Penalties for non-attendance to a preference event where there was room in her schedule and for intentional single preference (suicide) can range greatly. The most severe are that the PNM is dropped from recruitment and/or is excluded from snap bids and COR until the next school year.
Old 08-16-2001, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
A PNM shouldn't be penalized for suicide bidding. If a chapter encourages a girl to suicide, this is considered a major infraction of the NPC unanimous agreements.

I know that a few years ago, FSU enforced the maximum number of invites a PNM could attend, even if the PNM did not want to attend the maximum number of parties. (I think)they did away with that a year or so ago and let the true 'mutual decision' process go forth, letting both the PNM and the chapters cut.

B.

[This message has been edited by PnguinTrax (edited August 16, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by PnguinTrax (edited August 16, 2001).]
Old 08-16-2001, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I know at UF that we have to attend every party, if not we get dropped completely out of rush. Example: Round Two A PNM can only go to 10 parties, if she was invited back to more than ten then she can choose which ones she wants to go back to but she has to back to at least ten. Or say she wasn't invited back to more than ten let's say she was invited back to 8, but she doesn't want to go to all 8 she still has too. If she doesn't she will be disqualified from rush. I personally think it is dumb but I am sure that there is a good reason for it that I just don't know about.
Old 08-16-2001, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Question

Let's say a rushee goes to parties all week at sororities A, B, C, and D. She loves the first 3, can't stand D. During the week B and C cut her. She goes to prefs at A and D and suicides A since she never wanted D anyway.

A doesn't give her a bid. Are there any schools which would then prevent her from accepting informal bids that B and C want to give her a week later?
Old 08-16-2001, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Yes. I seem to recall a thread about this last year that named particular schools but I can't recall one at this time.

LSU used to do it but they stopped a few years ago similar to what Barb said earlier.

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation:
A doesn't give her a bid. Are there any schools which would then prevent her from accepting informal bids that B and C want to give her a week later?
Old 08-16-2001, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Interesting question Carnation. I really don't know the rules at my school. I know that if a girl cut my sorority and then didn't get a bid from anyone else I wouldn't want to give her a COB. I am pretty sure everyone in my house feels the same way. If they don't want you why invite them back? They are probably going to be unhappy anyway.
On another note my house did not make quota this yr, but that doesn't mean no one wanted my house. I know that my house did cut girls. They would rather fill the house with quality girls then make sure there is quantity. Of course quota is important and we do want to fill our house, but it isn't worth it if the girls aren't quality. I do know that my house dropped a girl bc they thought she was going to join the house she was a legacy too. She did not want to be in the same house as her sister. So ASA COB and she joined our house. Sorry I think I got off topic, but a lot of girls want to know what houses make quota and who doesn't. I wanted to let them know that a house may not make quota and still be strong.
Old 08-16-2001, 11:24 PM

Here's the link to the story of CutiePie2000's yucky bad forced pref experience.
http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/...ML/000187.html

Like Barbara said, a rushee shouldn't be penalized for suiciding. Especially if there are only 3 or 4 groups on campus. My solution at a school with a lot of groups is, if there are only 2 groups you are interested in and you are "forced" to put down 3, make that last one a sorority that you know NWIH will give you a bid - like the one who cut you after first night or who told you your hair looked like rat tails hanging from your head .

I know that I would never want a girl to end up in my house because she was "forced" into putting my sorority's name on her pref card. I think any sororities who allow that to go on at their campus have very little respect for or faith in themselves.

Lana - sweetie, you have it 110% right.
Old 08-17-2001, 09:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I think at our school if you got invited back, you had to go to the maximum # of parties. For instance after the 1st round, you go back to 7, and if you get invited back to all 10, you have to pick 7. Then, you have to go to 3, and if you get invited to more than 3 or exactly 3, you go to all of them.

If a girl suicides after this, that's fine. BUT, should she not get a bid from the sorority she suicides, she may not COB that sorority in the same semester. This was put into effect to curb the major rush infractions that Penquin talked about earlier.
Old 08-17-2001, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I think it boils down to keeping options open.

ECU has a 4 day process, so you really don't get the full personality of a chapter. You may not get your first choice, but 2nd and 3rd may be where you realy belong.

I think we allow women to cut if they ask on Pref day, it isn't the best thing, but it is their choice. I graduated last year, it could have changed by now.
Old 08-18-2001, 10:36 AM

Wow, that's wild. At my school a rushee could drop any sorority at any time. If you were invited to 4 theme parties and only wanted to go to 2, you only went to 2.

If you got invited to more than one pref party and only accepted 1 invite, that was considered suiciding, just as if you went to 2 parties and only listed 1 group on your pref card.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

We have a lot of new GC members this year--I'd like to hear more discussion about this topic from last year!
Old 06-24-2002, 11:46 PM

That seems ridiculous to make a rushee attend parties she doesn't want to attend. I don't see the point at all.

After my first round of rush, I was lucky to receive return invitations from all 12 houses. But since I was a local girl and had been more or less doing "research" in the two years previous, I knew that I was only interested in three of them so I cut the other nine.

If I would have been forced to go, it would have been not only a waste of my time, but a waste of time for the sisters who have to meet so many rushees in so little time.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

someone please help my testosterone addled brain

If a pref is for the people you like best...how could it be forced? If you are forced to be around someone, how could you prefer them??
Old 06-25-2002, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

UF rules...

Well, at UF we have to go to all Pref parties we are invited back to up to 3 (the total number of parties). Basically, you cannot decline an invitation from a chapter unless you are invited back to more than the number of parties that round. So, if you're invited to 2 prefs and you only like 1 chapter, you HAVE to go to both. Even if you are invited to 4 chapters for prefs, you can release one, but have to go to the other 3 even if you would only consider joining one of those chapters.

The only reason I could potentially see this being a decent rule is at competitive Rush type schools. For example, if I go to 15 parties round 1, decide I am interested in 8 of those chapters but somehow, 5 I'm interested in do not extend an invitation to me, I'm down to 3 potential chapters but maybe were invited back to 10 total. I would have to go to all 10 in order to get to go to my fav. 3. Maybe by round 3 I'm released from those 3 chapters, but there's 3 other chapters that love me. In this case, your Rush would be over because you don't have any chapters to go back to, where with the mandatory attendance rule will keep you in Rush, and maybe you'll realize you really feel at home at ABC chapter by the end of Prefs, but you wouldn't have considered them otherwise.

I know that seems confusing and I think I explained it as best as I could. Comments? Questions?

For the record, I think at UF, it's a decent rule based on the way Rush tends to work here.

Tara

I have a Phi Mu castle...