GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,247
0 members and 1,247 guests
No Members online

Old 07-12-2015, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Pastry Student Trying to Rush at UT!

Delete

Last edited by melissamarie816; 07-13-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissamarie816 View Post
Hi everyone!
I know there are so many "will I get a bid" posts, but I promise my situation is different. I hope you can help me better understand greek life at Texas universities, I really appreciate any thoughts or insight on my situation, or UT greek life in general.

About Me:
I grew up and graduated high school in Washington, then moved to Seattle for two years to attend a very great and well known culinary school. I recently graduated there with a 3.8, and earned an AAS-T in Specialty Desserts and Pastries. My plan has been to graduate culinary school, then graduate from University of Texas in business management. This upcoming year I have decided to take community college classes to save some money, but mostly be able to focus on getting my small business going. Next year(Fall 2016) I will transfer to UT as a sophomore.

(***About AAS-T Degrees: They are 2 year associate degrees, the "-T" means that they are not meant to transfer to universities I believe. Usually used in vocational studies. I have 2 years of credits, but nothing will transfer so I will be considered a freshman.)

I was raised in a family where almost all of the women graduated college in a sorority. Their experiences were at mostly Washington and Idaho universities that had strong greek life, and they attended anywhere from 7-30 years ago. I have been trying to learn about UT greek life, I understand that it is very competitive, and I am just wanting some more direct answers than "have an open mind". I plan on being very open and just learning and experiencing rush, but I just have no idea what to expect with UT, especially compared to the women who have been preparing for years. Again I know I can't expect to understand as much as a young woman who is a legacy, born and raised in Texas, and has many connections to the sororities, but maybe someone with experience can give me some much wanted insight.

Basic Facts/Information:

Will keep my GPA above a 3.8
Only 19yrs old, I will be 20 by the time of Fall 2016 recruitment
Very social, happy, and caring, I love meeting new people
Attractive, tall, slender, fit
Love arts and crafts! Painting, drawing, sewing, etc
Classically trained in French pastries
Running small baked goods business(great product, great interactions with people, have a strong social media presence)

So with those characteristics and achievements along with being a sophomore transfer from community college, and raised out-of-state with no (current) connections to UT or their sororities, do I have one in a million shot at getting accepted into any of the sororities? I have heard many different opinions, but would like an experienced realistic answer. I plan on rushing anyway just for the experience and any chance of myself getting in, but I want to maintain realistic so I won't be absolutely crushed if I don't get in(and so I can be so extremely excited if I do get in!)

Will the fact that I am successfully running a small baked goods business be a valuable trait or will it be looked down on? I plan on working mostly farmers markets and hopefully have the possibility to make connections through them.
I feel that it would show I am a hardworking, creative, dedicated, and is very unique. It could also show I have other time commitments.

Do you know of any unique cases like this and could share some stories? In your experience what was the most unique characterstic/asset a young woman has had that made her valuable to a house?

Thank you, I truly appreciate any comments/stories/ideas that you have taken the time to share with me
It's great that you are so accomplished.

Here are some things to think about:

1. Members may look at the fact that you own a business and think "How does she have time for a sorority?" A sorority at a school like UT is easily a 30 hour per week commitment depending on the time of year, especially for a new member.

2. We can't downplay the importance of KNOWING sorority members. Going into recruitment as a non-freshman is difficult enough. Going in knowing NO sorority members is even harder. Many PNMs of your class standing will know tons of sorority members from HS, camp, sports, etc. Sorority members meet HUNDREDS of girls every day of recruitment. You want sorority members to be able to say "oh I know her from ______." when discussing PNMs. When you know no one, there ARE chapters who will cut you straight away at the first opportunity because well, no one had a clue of who you were and there were women they knew who they wanted to come back over you.

3. You need recs! I find it surprising that you want to be Greek at a school like UT but have no recs. Nowhere in your post did you mention recs. The UT Panhellenic site says outright that you will have difficulty in recruitment without them. Every other PNM in recruitment will have at least one (or even 2-3 for each chapter.) They're not really as optional as people make them out to be. They're standard. Kind of like how everyone applying to work at a law firm has a law degree. You can't even get a foot in the door without the appropriate letters of reference/recommendations for each chapter on campus.

4. I know you don't want to hear this, but we can't say for sure whether you'll get a bid. However, let me be the first to tell you that you are going to have a rough time as a non-freshman with zero recs and knowing no one in a sorority at a place like UT. Your grades and the fact that you have a pastry degree are not really going to make up for that, as every girl in UT recruitment has great grades and tons of campus involvement.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-12-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:35 PM

She doesn't have recommendations because she isn't going to be rushing or a student at UT for an entire year. Her family members may not have been Greek at schools where recommendations were needed and therefore didn't tell her about them.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:39 PM

Awesome! You have a year to get to know people and get recs!

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

I think your age will handicap you.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I had never heard of recs until looking into UT sororities, I don't think it is common at the universities I grew up around. I have at least 7 different family members I can think of who are a part of different sororities.

Mother-Gamma Phi Betta
Sister- Alpha Phi (Currently Enrolled Junior)
Cousin- Delta Gamma (Currently Enrolled Sophomore)
Aunt- Delta Delta Delta
Aunt- Phi Beta Phi
Aunt- Kappa Alpha Theta
Aunt- Alpha Chi Omega
Grandma- Kappa Kappa Gamma

Those are the women I can think of off the top of my head. The universities they went to were: University of Idaho, University of Montana, University of Nevada, and Washington State University.

Would I only be a Gamma Phi Beta legacy? They don't have that at UT.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I think your age will handicap you.
I was worried about that. I graduated high school right after I turned 17, so I was hoping being the youngest in my class would eventually help me out somewhere. Isn't it typical for a sophomore in college to be 19 or 20?
Old 07-12-2015, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
You would also be a legacy of your sister (Alpha Phi) and your grandmother
(Kappa Kappa Gamma)

But you should also have all your greek connections send recommendations and ask them if they have friends/acquaintances in other groups that would write recommendations for you.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
It's great that you are so accomplished.

Here are some things to think about:

1. Members may look at the fact that you own a business and think "How does she have time for a sorority?" A sorority at a school like UT is easily a 30 hour per week commitment depending on the time of year, especially for a new member.

2. We can't downplay the importance of KNOWING sorority members. Going into recruitment as a non-freshman is difficult enough. Going in knowing NO sorority members is even harder. Many PNMs of your class standing will know tons of sorority members from HS, camp, sports, etc. Sorority members meet HUNDREDS of girls every day of recruitment. You want sorority members to be able to say "oh I know her from ______." when discussing PNMs. When you know no one, there ARE chapters who will cut you straight away at the first opportunity because well, no one had a clue of who you were and there were women they knew who they wanted to come back over you.

3. You need recs! I find it surprising that you want to be Greek at a school like UT but have no recs. Nowhere in your post did you mention recs. The UT Panhellenic site says outright that you will have difficulty in recruitment without them. Every other PNM in recruitment will have at least one (or even 2-3 for each chapter.) They're not really as optional as people make them out to be. They're standard. Kind of like how everyone applying to work at a law firm has a law degree. You can't even get a foot in the door without the appropriate letters of reference/recommendations for each chapter on campus.

4. I know you don't want to hear this, but we can't say for sure whether you'll get a bid. However, let me be the first to tell you that you are going to have a rough time as a non-freshman with zero recs and knowing no one in a sorority at a place like UT. Your grades and the fact that you have a pastry degree are not really going to make up for that, as every girl in UT recruitment has great grades and tons of campus involvement.

With the small business it definitely does take my time, but for girls who have many extracurricular activities, are they not viewed the same way? Or does the sorority know the new member will make greek life a priority over any other activities they have?

I can see how not knowing anybody in Texas is a real disadvantage. I usually feel really confident and comfortable in situation where I don't know anyone, and can create conversations and make acquaintances/friends quickly. That doesn't compare to knowing someone for years though. In Washington the greek life seems to be about not knowing anyone at a new school and then rushing and getting to know a big group of girls you've never met or have very few connections with.

A lot of women in my family are a part of sororities. They didn't have to have recs at the schools they went to, but I am sure they would write me some great letters. I will research that more, but I feel confident I know enough women that would write me great letters, at least one from each house if not two.

I'm starting to understand that it's really unlikely for me to get a bid, but I will at least give it a try and hope for the best.
Thanks for your advice
Old 07-12-2015, 08:55 PM

Owning your own business is very very very different from being in an extracurricular activity. Your own money and name are on the line and you're going to act accordingly.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissamarie816 View Post
With the small business it definitely does take my time, but for girls who have many extracurricular activities, are they not viewed the same way? Or does the sorority know the new member will make greek life a priority over any other activities they have?

I can see how not knowing anybody in Texas is a real disadvantage. I usually feel really confident and comfortable in situation where I don't know anyone, and can create conversations and make acquaintances/friends quickly. That doesn't compare to knowing someone for years though. In Washington the greek life seems to be about not knowing anyone at a new school and then rushing and getting to know a big group of girls you've never met or have very few connections with.

A lot of women in my family are a part of sororities. They didn't have to have recs at the schools they went to, but I am sure they would write me some great letters. I will research that more, but I feel confident I know enough women that would write me great letters, at least one from each house if not two.

I'm starting to understand that it's really unlikely for me to get a bid, but I will at least give it a try and hope for the best.
Thanks for your advice
A business is totally different from another extracurricular. You have paying customers. A new member can potentially miss a Club Soccer game for sorority initiation. You, on the other hand, cannot tell paying customers "I can't do cupcakes for your Saturday wedding. I have initiation that day!"

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

You are not considered a legacy for Kappa Alpha Theta. However, certainly have your Theta aunt write you a rec!

I suggest you go to UT and get a feel for Greek life this first year. Keep your grades up (you aspire to a 3.8 as you say) and make lots of friends. You are talking about something happening in August 2016 which is more than a year away. A lot could happen in that time.

LadyLonghorn may or may not be around any more - she may or may not comment on this thread. I believe that there is an OPTION for upper classman quota but don't hold me to that. Please. Regardless, understand that because it is an OPTION does not mean that every sorority will use it.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-13-2015, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I guess it’s time for a special guest appearance on Greekchat. I’ve never been able to turn down a request from an old friend. Thanks for the love and heads up.

This isn’t your sister’s/mom’s/aunt’s/cousin’s recruitment. UT Greek life is very traditional and its recruitment is cutthroat. I don’t see your story, no matter how commendable, as being looked upon as something that makes you more desirable. Like others mentioned, if anything it might have the opposite effect. How in the world can this person balance running a business with sorority commitments, school and other involvement requirements?

Since UT admissions are so difficult, you are competing with PNMs with extraordinary qualifications; perfect GPAs and waist deep in extracurriculars, awards and honors. Just about everyone has them, so unless you’ve cured cancer between solving world hunger and bringing peace to the middle east, they don’t make you stand out the way they would at many schools. Almost all of them will be from Texas and known to sorority members too since the UT out-of-state undergrad population is relatively small. That will also create a disadvantage. This is where the almighty much talked about “connections” come into play.

There is a small and separate non-freshman quota. Not all chapters use it and not all chapters fully utilize it. It's up to each chapter's discretion. Historically, those who receive bids under that quota are PNMs already known to sorority members and have those members pulling for them in the house. Those connections are critical and are usually due to them being known from home towns/high schools/camps etc. or from forging deep and legitimate friendships during freshman year at Texas. Your being from out of state and not having the benefit of attending UT with the opportunity to meet and form relationships with sorority members during your first year puts you at a huge disadvantage. To be honest, so does your age. Again, it’s a very traditional Greek system.

You must, and I can’t stress this enough, have at least one letter of support or recommendation per chapter. More than one is better. The vast majority of chapters at UT will drop you right after open house round without it. Make sure all your relatives submit them to those chapters and definitely make sure those relatives that make you a legacy submit that paperwork. Legacy status is very important for many chapters at UT. It won’t get you a bid, but it can help keep you around a little longer so you have the opportunity to make a good impression.

Be honest with yourself too. It sounds like you’ve been out on your own and making a go of it for a couple of years. Are you really ready to bond with a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds fresh out of high school? Also, some chapters have live-in requirements. Will you be down with that and all its restrictions and requirements as a 21 or 22 year old? The expense is also a big factor. We have huge houses to maintain and lots of social commitments as well as incidentals that add up like clothing, going out with sisters, Big/Little gifts, fines etc. It’s a big chunk of change plus a lot of constant smaller costs.

Another thing you should be made aware of is admission to McCombs is extremely competitive. A 3.8 GPA community college transfer may not cut it. It is also a rigorous program, and it will be very demanding of your time. Balancing your school work, business and sorority responsibilities will take an exceptional amount of work and dedication. I think most people can predict which one would fall by the wayside fastest.

So while it isn’t impossible, it will be an uphill battle. I say sign up for recruitment and see how it works out. Make sure to get all your recommendations and legacy introductions in order. Go in with a positive attitude and most importantly an extremely open mind. Be honest with yourself that this is what you want to do. You will never know and will always have doubts if you don’t go through recruitment.

I would also suggest that you delete this post and all identifying information. There are many UT sorority members who check out this site although they aren’t active contributors. Things have gone sideways for PNMs because of what’s been said or misconstrued here. You want to have the best chance of success and not be identifiable as “that pastry girl from Greekchat.”

Last edited by LadyLonghorn; 07-13-2015 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Honest question...how badly do you want to be Greek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
You are not considered a legacy for Kappa Alpha Theta. However, certainly have your Theta aunt write you a rec!

I suggest you go to UT and get a feel for Greek life this first year. Keep your grades up (you aspire to a 3.8 as you say) and make lots of friends. You are talking about something happening in August 2016 which is more than a year away. A lot could happen in that time.

LadyLonghorn may or may not be around any more - she may or may not comment on this thread. I believe that there is an OPTION for upper classman quota but don't hold me to that. Please. Regardless, understand that because it is an OPTION does not mean that every sorority will use it.
She's going to community college for her first year I think. So she won't be at UT until right before recruitment 2016.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Pro tip: if you do edit posts remember to politely ask posters who quoted or said identifying information about you to edit it out.