GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,246
0 members and 1,246 guests
No Members online

Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

What is "tent talk?"

Just wondering! I keep hearing this term.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Basically gossip about "tiers", stereotypes, and myths surrounding recruitment
Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

What she said. It's called tent talk because many schools put up large open tents with fans outside the sorority houses during recruitment. The tents are there so that the PNMs have some place shady and cool to stand while they wait between parties. And when people are standing around, they tend to start talking to one another. Hence tent talk = PNM's gossip about the sororities. You can't trust it because it is the blind leading the blind. Everyone has heard some sorority rumor from their roommate's cousin's boyfriend's co-worker's aunt's BFF and wants to talk about it.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Ahhh makes sense now. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

"Tent talk" is PNMs' opinions about preconceived notions of sororities' reputations; hence, it tends to bias their decisions about which house to join, regardless of what THEY thought about the houses based on their experience during those particular parties. Example: I'd rather be a GDI than a member of XYZ or ABC, which, in turn, makes a PNM feel like they shouldn't join particular sororities based on other people's opinions. A prime example of "public opinion" instead of personal opinion of how YOU felt while at those houses. If more PNMs would close their ears to this, there would be a lot more happy new members everywhere!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 PM

Examples:

"I heard XYZ makes you circle your fat."

"I heard that ABC makes you buy a tanning package and get a gym membership."

"I'm SO in at ABC, they only take brunettes from *insert high school here*"

"ABC is the best because half the cheer team is in the chapter."

"GHI is the best. I heard if you don't get into that house, you're a loser."

"I'd rather die than be in BBB. I heard they're closing next year."

You get the idea.

If it starts with "I heard" or "my best firend/roommate who rushed last year said..." it's tent talk. Don't trust it. Form your own opinions by actually MEETING the chapters.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Examples:

"I heard XYZ makes you circle your fat."

"I heard that ABC makes you buy a tanning package and get a gym membership."

"I'm SO in at ABC, they only take brunettes from *insert high school here*"

"ABC is the best because half the cheer team is in the chapter."

"GHI is the best. I heard if you don't get into that house, you're a loser."

"I'd rather die than be in BBB. I heard they're closing next year."

You get the idea.

If it starts with "I heard" or "my best firend/roommate who rushed last year said..." it's tent talk. Don't trust it. Form your own opinions by actually MEETING the chapters.
May I respectfully add this: in these tent talk sessions, don't volunteer your opinion about any chapter, and don't give a specific answer -- especially a negative one -- if someone asks you for your opinion. You never know who's listening, nor do you know who she may be related to or BFF with.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:17 PM

True. Believe it or not, your Recruitment Counselor is listening to who is blabbing on and on about the above topics. Is she supposed to be talking to her chapter? No. But there are some who will go back to their own chapter and let them know what's being said and who's saying it.

Even it doesn't involve her chapter, she's still listening and you never know what chapter her friends are in.

You might not even think that the gossip you're spreading is bad (particularly if you aren't calling a house "fat" or "ugly.")

Ex: You might think it's AWESOME that ABC is rumored to require PNMs to dye their hair blonde and only takes girls with BMIs below 21. You say that within earshot of your (secretly) ABC Rho Chi and she may not be as flattered. Your shot at ABC just went out the window.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school it was called sidewalk talk because although it was 1000 degrees during rush, there were no tents.

But it's all the chatter girls do before the parties as though they know anything about the chapters when likely they don't know squat. And as stated above, if you get sucked into one of these conversations, responses like, Oh, and really are good ways to go. Be vague, I wouldn't bother defending any chapter but I wouldn't actively agree either. But you might keep a mental tally in your head to note - oh right, THIS is the tent talk I was warned about - and try your hardest to see it in those terms and disregard what is actually being said. At best it's not helpful and at worst it's just mean.