GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,196
0 members and 1,196 guests
No Members online

Old 03-08-2012, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Would strongholds also be represented by the proportion of women members (Alumnae or Collegiate) to the female population of a given state? Or maybe as a proportion to that states number of women members? That latter option takes care of the women that transfer back "home." Don;t think we'll ever see that kind of data analysis. The best you can on your own is review the sketchy chart on Wikipedia with numbers of initiates by GLO that is referenced to various sources.
Ok, one more list from me:

This is an Alabama list using the information from IrishPipe's marvelous thread. I used the individual chapter lists she has at the end of each state section, and then included the Quota information for that campus, and the total PNMs placed to give an idea of the sphere of influence and name recognition that chapter would create.

Example: Auburn University - (62)/(1054)
62 = Quota, or the approximate number of sisters each chapter at this university would initiate in a given year
1054 = Quota x Number of Chapters on the campus, or an approximation of the number of women in a given year who come into direct contact with women from each chapter on that campus through recruitment. It's an imperfect indicator, but perhaps a better one that University population.

Alpha Gamma Delta
University of Alabama (80)/(1360)
Auburn University (62)/(1054)
Troy University (41)/(205)
University of Montevallo (14)/(70)
University of North Alabama (15)/(60)
University of Alabama Birmingham (24)/(96)
Auburn University Montgomery (8)/(24)
University of South Alabama (24)/(120)
TOTAL:
(268)/(2989)

Alpha Delta Pi
Samford University (41 last year)(205)
TOTAL:
(253)/(2954)

Alpha Xi Delta
Jacksonville State University (21)/(105)
University of Alabama Birmingham (24)/(96)
TOTAL:
(107)/(1255)

Alpha Omicron Pi
Birmingham-Southern College (16 last year)/(96)
Huntingdon College (15 last year)/(45)
University of Alabama-Birmingham (24)/(96)
University of Alabama - Huntsville (18)/(54)
(301)/(3135)

Alpha Sigma Alpha
University of West Alabama (approx.10)/(30)
(10)/(30)

Alpha Sigma Tau
(10)/(30)

Alpha Phi
(80)/(1360)

Alpha Chi Omega
Birmingham-Southern (16 last year)/(96)
(158) / (2510)

Gamma Phi Beta
(142)/(2414)

Delta Gamma
University of Alabama-Birmingham (24)/(96)
Spring Hill College (25 approx.)/(75)
(205)/(2655)

Delta Delta Delta
(167)/(2489)

Delta Zeta
University of Alabama Huntsville (18)/(54)
(189)/(2597)

Zeta Tau Alpha
(243)/(2904)

Kappa Alpha Theta
(142)/(2414)

Kappa Delta
University of Alabama Huntsville (18)/(54)
(241)/(2889)

Kappa Kappa Gamma
(142)/(2414)

Pi Beta Phi
(161)/(2510)

Sigma Delta Tau
(80)/(1360)

Sigma Kappa
(62)/(1054)

Phi Mu
(348)/(3329)

Chi Omega
(293)/(3155)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I see your point, but the missing link is age of the chapters at the big schools. By this formula - AOPi and Phi Mu should be the top. Some of those chapters have 100 years of alums to build on and some have only a few years but lots of alums from elsewhere that have moved into the area that help keep things running.

Last edited by HQWest; 03-08-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAckbOwlsgIrl View Post
I going to add a wrench into all of this.

I think that have the large amount of chapters in a given state is important.
However, wouldn't it also be important to look at the given school/s in the state including the strength of the chapters, RMF issues, grades, campus/community involvement and quota/retention?

So ABC has 27 chapters BIG STATE. However they are at
  • BOONIEVILLE DRUNKEN BIG STATE - struggles, barely has enough to fill the house and closest thing to sober on campus
  • NORTHEAST BOONIEVILLE DRUNKEN BIG STATE - unofficial keg stand champions but don't tell their national.
  • SOUTHEAST BOONIEVILLE DRUNKEN BIG STATE - Campus chapter of the year, the golden child.
  • UNIVERSITY OF BIG STATE - struggles, poor grades, lack of sisterhood, not making quota, will close soon

Alumnae are active to keep the chapters going. Occasional teas and toddlers programs.

VS.

XYZ in the same state
  • PRESTIGIOUS PRIVATE UNIVERSITY - Campus chapter of the year, the golden child.
  • UNIVERSITY OF BIG STATE - Campus chapter of the year, the golden child. Every PNM wants this chapter. Legacy line around the block.

Alumnae mentor collegians, networking opportunities. Huge annual XYZ Debutante Ball that benefits the local children's hospital. Anchor of one of the television news stations is an alumna.
I completely agree that it is not just about numbers. There is much more that comes into play when talking about the prestige and/or influence factors of different groups in different states.

For example (and I'm thinking off the top of my head here), there are a few groups that started out at primarily teaching schools. I'm guessing those groups are well represented in some states (including Michigan) in the teaching ranks. I would guess they also have a stronger network in the state. Being a Tri Delta means almost nothing in Michigan (unless you live near Ann Arbor). Being Greek is more of an advantage to me than being a Tri Delta. But I would be willing to guess that some of the other groups in Michigan have excellent networking set up because they are widespread. Is it on the same level as some of the prestigious set-ups down south? No, but probably still helpful for those women involved.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
I going to add a wrench into all of this.

I think that have the large amount of chapters in a given state is important.
However, wouldn't it also be important to look at the given school/s in the state including the strength of the chapters, RMF issues, grades, campus/community involvement and quota/retention?

So ABC has 27 chapters BIG STATE. However they are at
  • BOONIEVILLE DRUNKEN BIG STATE - struggles, barely has enough to fill the house and closest thing to sober on campus
  • NORTHEAST BOONIEVILLE DRUNKEN BIG STATE - unofficial keg stand champions but don't tell their national.
  • SOUTHEAST BOONIEVILLE DRUNKEN BIG STATE - Campus chapter of the year, the golden child.
  • UNIVERSITY OF BIG STATE - struggles, poor grades, lack of sisterhood, not making quota, will close soon

Alumnae are active to keep the chapters going. Occasional teas and toddlers programs.

VS.

XYZ in the same state
  • PRESTIGIOUS PRIVATE UNIVERSITY - Campus chapter of the year, the golden child.
  • UNIVERSITY OF BIG STATE - Campus chapter of the year, the golden child. Every PNM wants this chapter. Legacy line around the block.

Alumnae mentor collegians, networking opportunities. Huge annual XYZ Debutante Ball that benefits the local children's hospital. Anchor of one of the television news stations is an alumna.
Exactly. In Illinois, for example, the two most desirable schools to be at are U of I and Northwestern, both good schools with big Greek life. From there, there's an immediate drop-off in numbers at any of the "directional" or private schools.

That said, though, if someone had asked me off the top of my head what group was strongest in Illinois, Delta Zeta would have come to mind, so the sheer number of chapters isn't meaningless, but if they were not at U of I or NW, that answer may be different.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Exactly. In Illinois, for example, the two most desirable schools to be at are U of I and Northwestern, both good schools with big Greek life. From there, there's an immediate drop-off in numbers at any of the "directional" or private schools.

That said, though, if someone had asked me off the top of my head what group was strongest in Illinois, Delta Zeta would have come to mind, so the sheer number of chapters isn't meaningless, but if they were not at U of I or NW, that answer may be different.
Oh, I totally agree with these points. For example, in California (because I'm a broken record, you know), Phi Sigma Sigma has nine chapters, while Chi Omega has eight. If you just looked at the numbers, you might think that Phi Sig has a stronger presence in the state, but then you look at the campuses:

Phi Sigma Sigma
San Francisco State University
California State University - Bakersfield
Chapman University
Woodbury University
California State Universiy - Stanislaus
University of LaVerne
California State University - Sacramento
California State University - Dominguez Hills
Sonoma State University

Chi Omega
University of California
Stanford University
University of California - Los Angeles
Universiy of California - Santa Barbara
University of California - Davis
California State Polytechnic University - Pomona
University of California - San Diego
California Polytechnic State University

As non-Californians, which of these campuses are you familiar with?
Old 03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

And oddly, there is NO overlap.

But I think this is why any expansion in the SEC is a big deal and highly sought by the sororities. As in the Big Apple, if you can make it there...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

@LABlondeGPhiB. Hope I typed your username correctly using my cellphone keypad. Your analysis is aggressive in its use of available data. I applaude your initiative and resourcefulness. Still my idea was not to focus on individual college chapters but broader population numbers for which your data cannot be a surrogate. Your data is more of a snapshot in time at a particular school, which is very useful for a different analysis than the one that was my focus. I bet only NPC and maybe not even NPC would have access to my ideal data.

By the way I love the the Gamma Phi Beta Badge, it truly shows the DNA of its designer(s).

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 03-08-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Teeny tiny iPhone 4 keypad spelling errors
Old 03-08-2012, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I will add that what makes a strong hold is again subjective based on the region. It can be disagreed on in that region.

Sure we can do it on numbers and successful chapters based on grades and awards. But, then there are accomplishments of both collegians an alumnae.

Certain regions may value certain accomplishments over others.

BIG STATE may value keg parties whereas ACADEMIC COSMOPOLITAN STATE will value curing world hunger and completing a thesis in complex Chemistry fusion. BOTOX STATE may value beauty queens and marrying a doctor. So if your members are curing world hunger in BIG STATE, although admirable, because of the culture, it may not been deemed strong and popular. The same for the Beauty Queen at ACADEMIC STATE, even if she is solving complex math problems.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
BIG STATE may value keg parties whereas ACADEMIC COSMOPOLITAN STATE will value curing world hunger and completing a thesis in complex Chemistry fusion. BOTOX STATE may value beauty queens and marrying a doctor. So if your members are curing world hunger in BIG STATE, although admirable, because of the culture, it may not been deemed strong and popular. The same for the Beauty Queen at ACADEMIC STATE, even if she is solving complex math problems.
I will refrain from asking for real life examples of BOTOX STATE. But LOL!

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
I will refrain from asking for real life examples of BOTOX STATE. But LOL!
As will I.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:

I am also from Illinois, but if you asked me to name the 10 strongest NPCs in the state, I wouldn't have listed DZ. Go figure
Old 03-09-2012, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
What I get from this: AGD owns Hawaii.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDCanada11 View Post
While not a state, I know that Alpha Gamma Delta has the most chapters in Canada (8), followed by Alpha Omicron Pi (7) and Alpha Phi (6).
I came to this thread just to make sure we claimed Hawaii. And what a state to claim, eh? (the ,eh? is in honor of our Canadian sisters, who I love dearly!)

And I'll add.. although AGD has the second highest number of chapters in Michigan (and 3 closed ones to boot), and we have more chapters of AGD than any other state (although PA will pass us with the Villanova colonization), it means nothing to "society" in Michigan. This is why some say there is no strong hold. I mention my sorority affiliation to people but never know what kind of reaction I'm going to get. Often times, it's a bit of a cringe with a comment like "You don't seem like a sorority girl." That's usually when I tell them about my 24 years of volunteer service with AGD since graduating from college. Do you know that most sorority women on the University of Michigan's campus do NOT wear letters because it's pretty much frowned upon. It's a huge Greek system. They have huge, beautiful houses, yet it's definitely not a status thing to be in a sorority. Many of the students totally look down on the Greeks.

Occasionally when I mention my affiliation, I get a happy/excited response .. from another Greek and we have a bond, just because we are Greek.

Last edited by AGDee; 03-09-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 PM

I was curious to see where Delta Zeta has, if not a stronghold, the most chapters. So, I went to our website and here are the states with the top five number of chapters:

Collegiate
Pennsylvania - 17
Ohio - 11
Texas/N Carolina - 10
California/Illinois - 9
Michigan - 8

Alumnae
Texas - 15
Florida - 13
California - 11
Pennsylvania - 8
Alabama - 7

If anyone is interested, I stickied the entire list to the top of the DZ Forum
Old 03-01-2013, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
I was curious to see where Delta Zeta has, if not a stronghold, the most chapters. So, I went to our website and here are the states with the top five number of chapters:

Collegiate
Pennsylvania - 17
Ohio - 11
Texas/N Carolina - 10
California/Illinois - 9
Michigan - 8

Alumnae
Texas - 15
Florida - 13
California - 11
Pennsylvania - 8
Alabama - 7

If anyone is interested, I stickied the entire list to the top of the DZ Forum
Not Illinois? I feel like every school in Illinois has a DZ chapter.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Not Illinois? I feel like every school in Illinois has a DZ chapter.
It's there; it's tied with California with 9 collegiate chapters