GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,105
0 members and 1,105 guests
No Members online

Old 03-07-2003, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

The Real World (not MTV)

Grownups out there...

How do you explain the real world to your friends that are about to graduate? They keep asking me, and I have such a hard time explaining it to them... They don't believe that their life is ever going to change (just like I didn't believe it, I guess).
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-07-2003, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not quite 40 but it's approaching. This is what I say to my family members who are young -- either in high school or young college age.

I say that EVERYTHING changes and while most is good, some isn't.

I realize now how ignorant I was and how little I knew (ignorance is bliss) but then again,

I now know so much more.

Lack of freedom. I go to work every day, run errands on the weekend, take yoga on Tuesdays, job on Wednesday. If I go to happy hour or dinner during the week -- no joke -- I need a few days to get my energy level back on track.

If I don't pick up my dry cleaning on Saturdays, God knows when I'll get to picking it up. It sounds stupid but it's really an adjustment when you don't have a lot of free time like you use to.

Your sex life is a heck of a lot better once you reach your 30s (in my opinion).

You realize that who you do homecoming/greek week DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL. NOR WHAT SORORITY YOU WERE IN, IF YOU WERE HOMECOMING QUEEN, CHEERLEADER, etc. That is SO refreshing.

You realize that your neighbors who are beautiful, Volvo in the driveway, three kinds on the honor role, Ivy League educated, VP of the bank, doesn't guarantee the kids won't have cancer, the wife isn't an alcoholic, and that you will live happily ever after.

I think your self esteem increases the older you get due to the fact that you know yourself better.

EVERYONE, even the VP at the bank, does copying every once in a while so don't expect a corner office with a view. And, your credit report is crucial in many many ways. You will have MANY more expenses and things are expensive and you need to worry and plan for your financial future. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

You're exhausted but in a different way. You LIVE for the weekends but even they are jammed packed of activities.

Oh yeah -- you can't drink like you used to but you really don't want to anyway.

I'm sure the moment I press "send" I will think of tons more.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't consider college the REAL real world yet. They're still going to class and experiencing many things they did in HS, especially with more kids staying home instead of going away (in SD anyway)

I think College is a warm up, to test to, to REALLY prepare you. High School was the end of childhood. College is a kick in the ass to say "hey, in a couple of years it's just you who decides what you do."

I tell them to learn time management and how to prioritize. And get a George Foreman grill
Old 03-07-2003, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh shit, do you mean graduation from college? My bad.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Stan, Ya da man! Yepper, if I had not gotten married, I would still be in College!

Boy what a rude awakening, not the first year or two, but the spinning of wheels makes the rut grow deeper!

Bills, babys, bills, babys and on and on and on!

Oh Ye of little faith, stay in college if at all possible! Life is a menepalsus state and is always changing, and not neccesasarily for the best! You dont skip work because you dont feel like going and you DO NOT make up the work, it is still going to be there but you will be farther behind if you have a job!

LX Z # 1
Alumni