GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,325
0 members and 1,325 guests
No Members online

Old 06-21-2007, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Hahaha, do you know what the code names are?
I just googled, and you're more of a sick puppy than I realized, DBB. Enjoying having people publicly declare a preference for one? hee, hee.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-21-2007, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmm, now I'm gonna have to google it.......

Old 06-21-2007, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok so I am not the only one that thought the code names were a little naughty.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
I just googled, and you're more of a sick puppy than I realized, DBB. Enjoying having people publicly declare a preference for one? hee, hee.
Mostly I am amused that I almost did the whole thread without anyone noticing.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Well when you first started I thought the code names were a little....uh, interesting but I wasn't sure what to make of it.

I wouldn't have caught on though. (I just googled "ice pearls" and only came up with a special car paint.) Now that I look back on the names though. Duh!

Can't wait to hear about Bid Day!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, bid day...We were told to be in our rooms from 11 to 1, I think, in case we didn't get a bid. The RC's would call us. I remember a bunch of us sitting in one room holding cordless phones, and I remember non-rushing floormates calling us just to see everyone jump when the phone rang.

Anyway, we went to the union, and there were tons of tables in the ballroom, so you had to find your RC's table and pick up your card.

Not shockingly, my bid said:

"The Delta Beta Chapter of Phi Mu Fraternity", which was indeed my first choice, the Marvels. By the time I got back to the dorm room, there was a message from my pref rusher that she would be picking me up at 6 for bid night.

She still gives me crap about the strict silence incident.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay for FM! (And I was happy that SK made it so far) I like reading stories from school with tons of chapters!

About the names, I thought that's what they were right away, but I didn't want to be the first one to say anything, kind of like with Rashid's thread.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Ha ha... great thread DBB!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Some final thoughts on my rush:

I absolutely ended up where I was meant to be, and the chapters knew better than I did at some points. Deep down, I really felt comfortable at Phi Mu, and I was distracted by some of the houses that all the rushees wanted, but I never would have been happy in some of the groups that dazzled me in the first round. I had friends in a lot of chapters, and I was surprised at how well recruitment at U of I placed women where they were ultimately a good fit.

My brother's closest friend at AEPhi was asked to pref me, and didn't do it because she wanted me to choose for myself. I have a lot of respect for that, and tried to afford other girls I knew the same space. I think it is important to tell women to rush, not to join XYZ, when you are talking to friends or neighbors who are starting out at your school.

I am glad we went from SORUSH to PRUSH the following year. It would have been a lot easier just seeing a full schedule without seeing people next to me with a much longer list.

And finally...I can't believe how wrong I was about some of my first impressions.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 06-22-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

TTT!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to do a bit of a post script, because there seems to be a huge influx of NM's struggling with their choices post-bid day.

The first semester, I was all about partying hard, and so I naturally gravitated toward the people in the house who did such things. As a result, most of my pledge class did not like me, nor did my big sis. I moved into the house my second semester, and most of my friends were sophomores or juniors. In fact, I didn't even really get along with the other girls from my pledge class who also moved into the house (there were eight of us, in total).

I did really love my chapter, though, and had a ton of fun...I was that girl who never missed a party with a fraternity, that's for sure. My first rush as an active, my partner and I were in the "never gets a break" category because we had such good returns. In fact, I think this was true of almost all of the women who went on to be officers.

Sophomore year, I think I took on the job of external philanthropy chair, probably in an attempt to prove I was more mature. I really wanted to run for Panhellenic rep (most officers served from their second semester of sophomore year until their first semester of junior year), but when it became obvious that none of the current officers were running for president, I decided I would give it a shot. There were some people who thought I was too much of a partier and were concerned about how I would "represent the chapter" and all that, but they elected me anyway. I'm pretty sure that knowing the names of all the NM's worked in my favor :-).

That seriously burned me out, and I moved out of the chapter house as soon as I was done being on exec, but I was still around a lot as a senior, and tried to get to know all the new girls. It does get hard, though, especially in large chapters.

Another weird thing, IMO, is the girls I became friends with post-graduation. A lot of them were not necessarily the ones I was friends with as an undergrad. I have become very close to women I only sorta knew as an undergrad, and gotten to know women who graduated before I was even a freshman.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Loved your story so much!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

What a great story!