GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,010
0 members and 1,010 guests
No Members online

Old 09-06-2006, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
9/11 Documentary: The Falling Man

I know that this documentary hasn't aired in the US, in fact I know that only the Discovery Channel expressed interest in airing the program.

I had the chance to see an advanced screening today, and I gotta say that it was by far more impactful and emotional than any other movie or documentary I have seen on 9/11... honestly to me it put World Trade Center to shame, simply because this documentary explored the image of one of the jumpers, and because this image brought home the horror of the day more than any other that I know.

I'd encourage people to "search" for this out there on the internet, or to at least look into it. However I do know that there are many that may find the imagery too disturbing, and others that may not be emotionally prepared for it.

Anyways here is the link to the CBC website dealing with the program:
http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeyemonday/fallingman/

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 09-06-2006, 05:59 PM

I will never forget that day. I was teaching 2nd grade. How do you explain to a roomful of 7 and 8 year olds what is happening in the world?

I can honestly say that seeing the pictures of the "jumpers" are one of the things that disturbed me the most. I can not imagine what was going through their minds, the only option they felt was open. Maybe its my phobia of heights, but I think of those people and what decision they must have had to come to in order to jump.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-06-2006, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Did they really have to name it "The Falling Man"?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess

Did they really have to name it "The Falling Man"?
What would you have rather called it? "The Jumper"? Personally "The Falling Man" has a more poetic or graceful turn to it that conveys the calm serenity that the man seems to have despite the horror of what is happening...

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 09-06-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig
I can honestly say that seeing the pictures of the "jumpers" are one of the things that disturbed me the most. I can not imagine what was going through their minds, the only option they felt was open. Maybe its my phobia of heights, but I think of those people and what decision they must have had to come to in order to jump.

I agree with you 100%, LaneSig. To think how horrible it must have been in the building to make jumping from 100 stories preferable {shudder}
Old 09-06-2006, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose
I agree with you 100%, LaneSig. To think how horrible it must have been in the building to make jumping from 100 stories preferable {shudder}
Ditto. It was the picture that affected me most. And, I couldn't stop thinking about this poor guy's family, who had to know what had happened to him and had to see it repeatedly on the news, in newspapers, on the internet, etc. I think it's easier to believe that someone either died instantly without suffering or went unconscious from fumes first, etc. The one picture I think they are referring to still haunts me.

ETA: Although we get the CBC here in Detroit, there's no way I can watch that...

Last edited by AGDee; 09-06-2006 at 11:18 PM.