GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,473
2 members and 2,471 guests
No Members online

Old 06-17-2004, 09:55 PM

Cruises, all-inclusive resorts...?

I'm planning my summer vacation, and I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with all-inclusive resorts or with cruises. We're looking to do something different this year, and we've never done either of these. We were thinking of an Alaskan cruise, a Caribbean cruise, or an all-inclusive resort, preferably one that does not allow children (we have had bad luck with other hotel guests' children disturbing our vacations).

We're planning on going away for about a week, in late August.

Anyone got any resorts or cruise lines that you would recommend - either for or against?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-17-2004, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Boats Sink. That is all I am going to say.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Go for the all-inclusive. I was very disappointed w/ the cruise I went on (Carnival).

We did a Club Med -- that was awesome b/c we were never bored. I've also heard good things about Sandals and Beaches.

There was another thread on this around here somewhere, I'll add it if I can find it.

ETA: Here is a link to a thread about cruises.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:10 PM

Thanks... somehow that cruise thread decided not to show up on my search...
Old 06-18-2004, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I did an all-inclusive in November in Turks and Caicos and there was a lot to do (we were there to scuba dive so we didn't take advantage of much else) but the service was crappy.

I was having a conversation with the woman on the plane next to me on the way home (she had been at either Club Med or Beaches) and she said the same thing. The staff is paid well but they do not work on tips and aside from the dive shop staff they did not know the meaning of the term service. It would take FOREVER just to get coffee at 6:30 in the morning (not real crowded at that time).
Old 06-18-2004, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm leaving on Thursday for our alumni cruise. Its 4 days out of galveston to cozumel. Should be cool. I'll post how it went. I've been on cruises before, but its been about 15 years.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I did an all inclusive once (it was not adults only so I won't say which one), but here is a tip that I got about all inclusives that help with the service. On day one slip one of the wait staff $5 or $10 bucks. They are not supposed to take tips, but do this once and you will only have to do it again at the end of your stay (another 5 or 10) we did not have a problem with service AT ALL. At popular meal times in the main dining room tables magically appeared. We were in Jamaica and complained about the lack of Jamaican food and the waiter came back with some food that they cooked up for themselves. Other people came by our table asking "where did you get that???" LOL We just smiled and kept eating our jerk chicken!

BTW, Sandels is for couples only, so if you were going with friends it is not the place for you
Old 06-19-2004, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if you're interested in Aruba, but my husband and I are planning our anniversary vacation for next year. We went today to kind of get a feel for prices and browse. Well, we hadn't intended on booking today, but our travel agent told us there's a GREAT price on flights to Aruba right now...as in $272/person for airfare! Most of the flights to the Caribbean are around $900/person. We booked! We hadn't even thought about Aruba b/c we thought it would be too expensive.

Just thought I'd share some information!
Old 06-20-2004, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a friend going to a Sandals resort this summer. I've never been to one, but they look awesome.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

in terms of cruises, i've had good luck in the caribbean with royal carribean, first, and princess second. did norwegian on the mexican riviera, a little too tame -- food and service were first rate,
Old 06-20-2004, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Santo Domingo has awesome inclusive resorts. I was planning a vacation there, but it fell through. I plan to go next year.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
I've done an all-inclusive resort in Cancun (Palace resorts) and they have one or two hotels that allow children/families and cater to them. It was awesome and I have no complaints.

I've done a cruise, too. Carnival to the Mexican Riviera- lots of kids, but otherwise no complaints. I've never been on any other cruises, but I loved every second of it.