GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,303
1 members and 2,302 guests
zamesyandext578

Old 10-15-2014, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. According to CNN, the nurse contacted the CDC prior to boarding the Frontier Airlines plane to Dallas. They gave her the ok.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Could we keep dropping the ball on this?? I'm baffled by all of the screw ups!
Old 10-15-2014, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

What happened to common sense? Does one really have to be told not to board a flight if one is being monitored after a patient death? Why would one even think of traveling until the monitoring period expires, particularly if one is a nurse?
Old 10-15-2014, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

If she was asymptomatic at the time, she was not contagious so they would give her the OK to fly, right?
Old 10-15-2014, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

She shouldn't have to have someone tell her. Symptoms or not, she should have been able to reach the common sense conclusion that travel is out of the question until her monitoring period ends. Common sense.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

So.. Is this really as bad as some people are making it out to be? Serious question.

Duncan (his first name escapes me right now) flew into the country with Ebola and visited relatives, and no one on the flight, nor his relatives, contracted the virus.

Of course, there are nurses who are sick, but the CDC is now taking extra precautions to make sure that no other healthare workers are infected.

I guess I just don't see any reason to panic right now. But maybe I'm wrong..?

@~/~~~~
Old 10-15-2014, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
This is hitting EXTREMELY close to home for me right now. I can't concentrate. I went to college with the patient, and she is a really sweet girl. And I am very close friends with some of her family members. Please send your prayers to them as they really need them. Thank you in advance.
Sorry to double post, but I just saw this. Thinking of your friend and hoping for the best! I have a few friends who are nurses in Dallas, so I can only hope that my above assessment is correct, and that this won't get much worse.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-16-2014, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
So.. Is this really as bad as some people are making it out to be? Serious question.

Duncan (his first name escapes me right now) flew into the country with Ebola and visited relatives, and no one on the flight, nor his relatives, contracted the virus.

Of course, there are nurses who are sick, but the CDC is now taking extra precautions to make sure that no other healthare workers are infected.

I guess I just don't see any reason to panic right now. But maybe I'm wrong..?
I'm not a huge fan of Faux News, but this is good.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_5992510.html

Unfortunately, we have some school systems which, ironically are NOT near where the nurse was staying in Akron, that have closed today.

I agree with your analysis that there is something to handling bodily fluids of those infected vs. being near those infected. Also, why have so many healthcare workers in Liberia NOT been infected? Could there be a resistance that they have built up?
Old 10-16-2014, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

If we get even a couple of more cases in the U.S. stemming from this outbreak, I could see it becoming increasingly difficult to keep all these folks quarantined. The average incubation period is 2-21 days, and three weeks is a long quarantine period.

This Forbes article discusses a researcher's study that suggests that 21 days might not even be long enough:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonforte...-to-new-study/
Old 10-16-2014, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Faux News, but this is good.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_5992510.html

Unfortunately, we have some school systems which, ironically are NOT near where the nurse was staying in Akron, that have closed today.

I agree with your analysis that there is something to handling bodily fluids of those infected vs. being near those infected. Also, why have so many healthcare workers in Liberia NOT been infected? Could there be a resistance that they have built up?
Our news said one of those schools closed because a teacher was on the flight with the nurse. But that doesn't make sense to me- unless they had a very quick turn around. The nurse was on the flight going to Dallas from Cleveland. If that teacher went to Dallas and went right back to Cleveland that seems odd.

ETA: The news report I just read said that a teacher was on the same airplane, for a later flight. It also said there were two students who were in contact with the nurse while she was there and that's why their schools are closed.

Last edited by AGDee; 10-16-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Posting this for PersistentDST. I thought it was a really nice article about Amber Vinson. I'm sure you've probably read it, but in case not...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebo...s-hero-n227251
Old 10-16-2014, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 1963 View Post
I read that it can't be detected right away. The symptoms don't show up until weeks or months later after exposure.
From my understanding, this is not exactly true. You're not contagious unless you are exhibiting symptoms (vomiting, fever, etc...).

If you have been exposed to it, the incubation period is anywhere from 2-21 days (so weeks, not months) from the time you've been exposed until the time you start exhibiting symptoms (and are thus contagious).
Old 10-16-2014, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ok. I must have read it wrong. When you say "contagious" what have to read or heard for folks to mean contagious? I'm asking because it seems like it's more contagious than just coming into contact with the bodily fluids.
The "people in the know" (The CDC et al) are still saying you have to have come in contact with bodily fluids, and I still believe that's probably true. Think about the only two people who have contacted it in the US...they were people cleaning up after a man who was vomiting and all sorts of other gross things. So, the opportunity to "break protocol" or have a breach in the system. All it would take is for them to scratch an itchy nose or something with the edge of a contaminated glove and boom...

However, I do think that micro particles (sneezes, a person inadvertently spitting while talking, etc...) come into play also, so keep that in mind. I think if it were airborne, the numbers would be far higher in West Africa than they already are, AND Duncan's family members would also be ill.

Disclaimer - I don't know much about all this except what I read. IUHoosierGirl is a much better source. I just find it very interesting and like reading about it.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is what scares the hell out of me. The sneezing and spitting while in conversation. That's way too risky. I'm just trippin that there's not a real cure for it. This is more dangerous and contagious that HIV/AIDS.
Well, I wouldn't panic just yet. Let's see what happens with these nurses, the other healthcare providers, and their circles of friends/family. It very-well could be contained after the 21 day period for each of those dies out. Remember those are all people who wash their hands WAY more than you and I probably do.

The good news is, they've had really good luck with blood/plasma donations of people who have survived the virus being given to those who actively have it. Duncan wasn't a blood-type match for the one missionary guy who was in the states and willing to donate (and frankly, it may have been too late for him anyway because his diagnosis was so botched). Pham (Nurse #1) was a match and has received from him. I'm unsure if Vinson (Nurse #2) was able to receive or not.

Bottom line, until someone in your area has been directly exposed & is contagious, I wouldn't think too much about it. It's a needle-in-a-haystack situation at this point.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, the people Duncan lived with are almost at the 21 day period since he went into the hospital. They were in the apartment with his stuff until October 3rd though. I'd say if none of them get it by the 24th, a lot of people will calm down.