GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,372
0 members and 1,372 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2008, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Bag Full of Goodies

Its no secret that its HOT HOT HOT during the summer in the south. Let me tell you that Rush at Texas A&M is a lot of being outdoors in humidity and 100 degree weather, and they expect us to look our best! So in the spirit of looking our best, we are advised to bring a small bag (more of a large purse type thing) with different things to help get you through the day. Anyone have any suggestions of what to put in the bag? Anything that would possibly help with the heat, sweat, runny makeup, smell, etc? Anything creative?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I know this was discussed a few year's ago on Greekchat.

Here is one link:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=90145

Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a copy of a list my daughter got from the panhellenic advisor at AU:

Each day, you will want to carry around a tote bag or bookbag with items you need in it. You may leave them in the lobby of the residence hall during parties. Several Pi Chis will be in each lobby to watch out for your belongings.

· Everyone will have small breaks during the week, so you might want to bring a magazine or a book with you. You might also be glad to have a snack handy.

· Be prepared for any kind of weather. Alabama is very hot and humid compared to other parts of the country. So, if you are not from around here, be prepared for that change. Also, be sure to carry along an umbrella in your tote bag. It never fails to rain at least once during recruitment. So, it will almost certainly rain during recruitment, and you don’t want to get soaked between parties. A towel might also be a good idea in case you do get a little wet from the weather.

· Carry some deodorant with you. You will want to re-apply it often. Heavy perfumes or other fragrances are not a good idea because they can often be overpowering, especially in the summer heat or in a room with many other people.

· Carry some mints with you. Sugar free mints will keep your breath fresher longer. Be sure that you don’t chew gum in the parties.

· In your tote bag, you will also want some makeup in case you want to touch it up.

· Carry at least some money around with you (cash, checks, or credit card). You will be eating out with your group some, or you might want to buy a drink from a vending machine.

· When it is time to view and accept your invitations, you will do so in a computer lab with your Pi Chi. The Pi Chi will go through the procedure one-on-one with each member of your group while the others wait in the hall. This way, you will have some privacy when you make your choices. However, since there are about 15 members to each group, that means there will be a lot of wait time. So that those in the computer labs can have quiet, Panhellenic will have representatives in the hallway to ensure that there is no talking. You will want to bring a magazine or an mp3 player to keep you company while you wait.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

I'm fairly certain I've said this on the other list, but coffee filters are fantastic for blotting your face without ruining your makeup.

Editting to add: play with your hair, and find both your best "normal" hairstyle and one for high humidity. Some people don't need this, but if your hair acts up in high humidity, you'll be happy to know NOW what your best humidity look is.

Last edited by honeychile; 08-13-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Pack a snack like cereal bars or something. You don't want your tummy growling in the middle of a party. Plus with the heat and stress, both eating and hydrating will help you tolerate the heat. Every time we've had PNMs or actives pass out from the heat not only have they not been drinking enough fluids, but they often hadn't eaten anything that day either.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure how large of a bag you will be packing but a nalgene bottle of water might be a good idea.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

At some schools, bags and purses are not allowed at all.

For example, at Arkansas, PNM's are issued a clear baggie for any essentials they might want to carry during parties. Yes, that means everything must fit in a sandwich size baggie and everyone sees what you are carrying - tampons, etc.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:06 PM

Speaking of tampons, carry one or two if you even remotely think you might be needing them.

If you absolutely CANNOT live without your cell phone, turn it off and stick it in your bag during parties. (Better yet, don't carry it at all.)
Old 08-13-2008, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

blotting paper for your face is nice and doesn't tend to build up. Sephora carries some from Shiseido that I like very much.

Some mints are also a good idea. No gum.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

1. chapstick
2. travel-sized (very small) baby wipes--they get rid of EVERYTHING
3. Band-Aids & tiny neosporin
4. mints
5. blotting paper or coffee filters
6. trial-sized deodorant
7. trial-sized packets of tylenol or other meds (the 2 tablet-sized ones)
8. gorp or a powerbar
9. a special treat or pick-me-up for when she's down
10. a special note from home reminding her that she's loved and wonderful, no matter what!
"Out of my window looking in the night/I can see the barges flickering light/Silently flows the river to the sea/And the barges to go silently/Barges, I would like to go with you/I would like to sail the ocean blue/Barges, have you treasures in your hold?/Do you fight with pirates brave and bold?/Out of my window looking in the night/I can see the barges flickering light/Starboard shines green/And port is glowing red/I can see the barges far ahead..."
Old 08-14-2008, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

No cell phone allowed at Arkansas either. Strictly forbidden - hence the need for see-through baggies.

Actually the Gamma Chi's carry most of what you all are listing for their groups.