GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,620
2 members and 1,618 guests
gatordeltapgh, Overthinker

Old 02-03-2004, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Exclamation Personal Statement: What to write?

I am not sure where to post this thread, so here I am ...

I am nominated as the IFC man of the year at Iowa State. The nominees are required to submit their resumes and three recommendation letters, as well as a personal statement.
I have been working on my personal statement, and I ran into so many questions as far as what to write for this award. Granted, I have to be myself and what not, but this is the first time I have to write something about me (except when I have my journal entrees).

I tried to search some examples in the internet, but I could find were personal statements for Grad School. Even though they are similar in nature, but I am pretty sure they are different. Plus, they don't give me questions to answer, that adds up the pile as I have no boundaries what to explain and state.

And I don't think I should list all my accomplishments, it sounds like I brag too much about myself. But on the other hand, I feel like I need to mention something about several things.

So, ladies and gentlement, I need some suggestions. What is the limit? Is it a good idea to enclose a list of my activities, as far as the organizations, community service, and honors? Can "cultural diversity" as far as "international experience" become a selling point of such nomination? How should I end my personal statement?
Old 02-03-2004, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Your personal statement is a time to tell the reader about you but in a way that your resume won't. You're right not to want to rehash all the stuff on your resume. This is your chance to give the committee (or whoever decides this) a look at your third dimension, who you are, not just what you do.
A good way to start is by brainstorming about what qualities you want to convey. They don't have to be things shown on your resume but they can be. You may want to reflect stuff like your ability to use humor to deal with tough situations or your ability to juggle tons of different responsibilities.
Once you've brainstormed, pick three or less qualities that you want to reflect in your statement and that you think will be of particular interest to the committee. This is not a list. You want to highlight a few things that will bring your resume alive. You don't have to pick three. Sometimes, if one is particularly important or sticks out, you may just want to focus on one.
Once you've picked what you want to convey, you need to SHOW how you demonstrate those characteristics. You can use experiences from your resume but they are more effective in the form of a story or antidote. If you want to show how loyal you are, relay a story where you had a tough choice to make but stayed loyal to your friends rather than taking the easier route.
What ever you do, do NOT just LIST the qualifications or the stuff on your resume! What makes a really good personal statement is that it aquaints the reader with who you are or what you're about. Show them why you believe that you should be chosen. What is special about you?
I hope this helps.
Good Luck.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

First off, Congratulations!!! That's an outstanding award to be nominated for.

I think HelloKitty22 has some excellent suggestions on how to start and what to include in your personal statement.

Pick one or two things that you've done that you're proud of that make you the man you are, expand on them and state why you're proud of those things. And they don't both necessarily need to be directly Greek-related (ie, VEISHEA, Homecoming, SALC, etc...). I would also pick an experience that taught you something.

I don't know if you have chosen who to write your letters of recommendation, but I would have one be from a professor or an advisor who knows you well and knows your Greek involvement. I would also have one be from a chapter advisor. The third is difficult, if you have worked with any other administration on campus (Student Affairs, etc...) I would see if you could get a letter from them.

I have a few more things I'm thinking about, I'll post them after lunch. . .
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.

Last edited by ISUKappa; 02-03-2004 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you get a hold of any old Vespers Programs? (Do they even have them? It's been so long since I've been to one, I don't remember). If they have any little blurbs about previous winners, that can at least give you a little inspiration. And talk to the Greek and/or IFC Advisor about the application (I don't know who it is anymore, I'm from the Brian T. days). They may not be able to sit down and walk you through it, but they should be able to give you some guidance or at least direct you to someone who can.

Good Luck!
Old 02-03-2004, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

HelloKitty22, thanks for the suggestions, your post gives me a perfect guidance for starting my personal statement. You have lots of good suggestions, and I am excited to work on it (again)

ISUKappa, LOL, it is weird because you know all the internal Iowa State matters (VEISHEA, Vespers, SALC, including Brian T). Now we have Mande A and Alisa F., and you should talk to them when you're visiting B-6 They are great ladies!
And thank you for your input as well. I think I have several old Vespers program, and I will look at them. For the three recommendation letters, I asked our housemother, my academic advisor, and a fellow housemate (to get the perspective how to live with me day-by-day experience).
Old 02-03-2004, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

It's nice to have someone that understands them, as well!! *sigh* I miss those good old days at ISU.

I think having a fellow brother write a letter is a wonderful idea--it will really showcase your leadership and personal experiences in-house.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Just FYI, we just had the Greek Week Central at Kappa House. It was funny!
ps. I am one of the GW Aide Coordinators
Old 02-04-2004, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on your honor!

Does TDX have a creed?

If 'twere I who got the award (the women's version of it), I'd use the Alpha Gamma Delta Purpose. I'd explain how I seek to exemplify those principles every day.

I've participated in several workshops over the years with the assignment to write a "personal statement." I always use the Purpose.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDAlum
Congratulations on your honor!

Does TDX have a creed?

If 'twere I who got the award (the women's version of it), I'd use the Alpha Gamma Delta Purpose. I'd explain how I seek to exemplify those principles every day.

I've participated in several workshops over the years with the assignment to write a "personal statement." I always use the Purpose.
That is a really good idea...I'm not big on writing those touchy feely personal statements, but now I can use our purpose to have a template.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by queequek
Just FYI, we just had the Greek Week Central at Kappa House. It was funny!
ps. I am one of the GW Aide Coordinators
Really? Awesome! Who's on GW Central from Kappa?

Hee, was it down in our ghetto green and pink dining room or our 80's throwback peach and light blue formal liv? I miss our house!
Old 02-04-2004, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Ellen K. serves as the Exec Assistant of GW 2004.
We had the meeting at the peach and light blue (blue? I think it is more like greenish) living room. The carpet is so cozy and thick, and I sat on the pinkish straight sofa. The grand piano is still at the living room, and I played the Entertainer there When did you graduate from Iowa State?

Hey AGDAlum, it is a really cool idea you have there, and I will incorporate our creed into my personal statement. Thanks for all good responses, they are all really helpful.

Cross your fingers for me
Old 02-05-2004, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

[Hey AGDAlum, it is a really cool idea you have there, and I will incorporate our creed into my personal statement. Thanks for all good responses, they are all really helpful.

Cross your fingers for me [/B][/QUOTE]

Sweetie, if you've got all of GC behind you how can you fail?

(Sheesh. I'm old enough to be his mother.)
Old 02-05-2004, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by queequek
Ellen K. serves as the Exec Assistant of GW 2004.
We had the meeting at the peach and light blue (blue? I think it is more like greenish) living room. The carpet is so cozy and thick, and I sat on the pinkish straight sofa. The grand piano is still at the living room, and I played the Entertainer there When did you graduate from Iowa State?
Yup, that's our formal liv. Hasn't changed since it was built over 20 years ago! (I think the girls are really trying to get it redecorated) The carpet is the best to walk on barefoot, it's soo cushy! I played the piano occasionally, Mom Miller liked that someone was getting some use out of it besides during Recruitment.

It's good to see girls are still involved.

I graduated in May of 2001--gosh almost 3 years ago.

Would you care to share a rough draft? It's okay if you say no, I'm just interested in seeing what you came up with after all our wonderful suggestions!
Old 02-12-2004, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL ISUKappa, I PMed you
Hope it came out OK
Old 02-12-2004, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

PM'd you back.