GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,221
1 members and 1,220 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 PM

I knew that APhi had to have a ton of chapters in CA. I feel like every other Greek in CA that I know is APhi (all at diff schools too.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
Being in New England, I am shocked that there are 18 campuses with NPC greek systems in MA. I can only come up with about 10. Also that Phi Sig has the most chapters in both MA and CT. I only know 1 phi sig alum in the area and can't think of any schools off the top of my head where they are represented. Though I do think their badge is super cool.

Next I'd like to break down which groups have chapters at public schools versus private schools as well as schools with larger/ smaller student populations. This probably interests me because I'm a math nerd
Now I'm starting to think about the organizations for which I've never met someone who was a member. I've honestly never thought about it before. New thread? Weird?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
INDIANA
17 – Total Campuses with NPC Greek Life

8 Chapters - SK Chi O
7 Chapters – A Phi, Pi Phi
6 Chapters – AchiO, TriDelta, ZTA, Theta, Phi Mu
5 Chapters – AOPi, GPhi, DG, Kappa
4 Chapters – DZ
3 Chapters – AGD, ASA
2 Chapters – ADPi, AXiD, AST, Theta Phi, SDT, Phi Sig
1 Chapter – AEPhi

MISSOURI
23 – Total Campuses with NPC Greek Life

9 Chapters – ASA, TriSigma,
8 Chapters – DZ, ZTA,
7 Chapters – ADPi,
6 Chapters – SK, Chi O
5 Chapters – AGD, KD,
4 Chapters – APhi, GPhi, DG,
3 Chapters – TriDelta, Kappa, Pi Phi, Phi Mu,
2 Chapters – AXiD, AOPi, Theta Phi, Theta,
1 Chapter – DphiE,
KD is on three campuses in Indiana, and will shortly be on 6 campuses in Missouri. We colonize at WUSTL in January 2013. /nitpicking

I see what you're saying about the Mississippi thing, and it matches up with my impression of KD nationally when I was an undergrad. I don't know how it is now, but when I was 19, if you asked me to name a place where KD was crazy dominant, I would have said Ole Miss.

Last edited by KDCat; 03-07-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
KD is on three campuses in Indiana, and will shortly be on 6 campuses in Missouri. We colonize at WUSTL in January 2013. /nitpicking

I see what you're saying about the Mississippi thing, and it matches up with my impression of KD nationally when I was an undergrad. I don't know how it is now, but when I was 19, if you asked me to name a place where KD was crazy dominant, I would have said Ole Miss.
Oops, updated!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

While not a state, I know that Alpha Gamma Delta has the most chapters in Canada (8), followed by Alpha Omicron Pi (7) and Alpha Phi (6).

ΑΓΔ
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

MISSOURI
23 – Total Campuses with NPC Greek Life
9 Chapters – ASA, TriSigma,
8 Chapters – DZ, ZTA,
7 Chapters – ADPi,
6 Chapters – SK, Chi O
5 Chapters – AGD, KD,
4 Chapters – APhi, GPhi, DG,
3 Chapters – TriDelta, Kappa, Pi Phi, Phi Mu,
2 Chapters – AXiD, AOPi, Theta Phi, Theta,
1 Chapter – DphiE,

~~~

I'm pretty sure Alpha Chi Omega has 4 chapters in Missouri (very good friend is Alpha Chi from Missouri)
Old 03-07-2012, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZsis&mom View Post
I'm pretty sure Alpha Chi Omega has 4 chapters in Missouri (very good friend is Alpha Chi from Missouri)
You're correct, I fixed it.

I was doing a running count going through IrishPipe's lists, so it looks like I occasionally missed an organization (I did the same thing with KD and Indiana).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
I updated the KD Missouri count to six, then decided to put it back at five, just because there are so many planned colonies all over the nation, starting this fall, next spring, the fall after, etc. For our unofficial purposes, and to create a legitimate cut-off, I'll count chapters that have a colony class in place.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
It cracks me up that Phi Mu is a biggie in Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, and...Maryland? How did that get in there?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
I would love to read a thread about this. It just intrigues me that people would actually do this. Does anyone know if there are any existing threads about this? Or is anyone willing to share anecdotal information if they've witnessed it?
Oh, yes. Park Cities. Dallas. Texas.

Happened with girls who were legacies to a certain GLO who didn't stand a strong chance of making Mother and Grandmother's sorority at certain Texas schools, because there would often be nearly 200 legacies to that chapter and the numbers were brutal. They would go to an out of state school, usually in the southeast or even to one of the Arizona schools, and pledge over there.

After their freshman year, they'd transfer to Mother and Grandmother's alma mater back in Texas as an active and affiliate there.

I'd never heard of it either, til I worked as a sponsorship chairman of a Dallas suburb's Alumnae Panhellenic. Darndest thing I ever saw.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Looking just at the number of chapters in a state is mainly about the size of the state.
That's what I was thinking. OF COURSE a whole bunch of sororities can claim they are strong in states where there are tons of colleges. It's kind of like saying McDonald's is the best food because they have the most locations. For all we know, those 49 chapters in PA could only have 10 people each in them and be struggling to stay open semester to semester.

And now it's devolved into how many chapters are in each state...which we have all been able to figure out for ourselves from irishpipes' rush threads for years, if you REALLY gave a shit.

I guess I don't see the point of this thread when the majority of people posting in it can't figure out what was originally being asked in the first post.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 AM

^^^^Lake:

Pre-GC, I wouldn't have thought it actually happened. I heard of it and thought "that's just bigger NPCs in the South, no one would ever actually transfer just to join a certain chapter of Sigma." Then I became a volunteer and started meeting alumnae in other states and was found to be wrong. Crazy.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^^^Lake:

Pre-GC, I wouldn't have thought it actually happened. I heard of it and thought "that's just bigger NPCs in the South, no one would ever actually transfer just to join a certain chapter of Sigma." Then I became a volunteer and started meeting alumnae in other states and was found to be wrong. Crazy.
So based on your experience, where are the top 3 or 4 to die for Sigma chapters?

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Would strongholds also be represented by the proportion of women members (Alumnae or Collegiate) to the female population of a given state? Or maybe as a proportion to that states number of women members? That latter option takes care of the women that transfer back "home." Don;t think we'll ever see that kind of data analysis. The best you can on your own is review the sketchy chart on Wikipedia with numbers of initiates by GLO that is referenced to various sources.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Would strongholds also be represented by the proportion of women members (Alumnae or Collegiate) to the female population of a given state? Or maybe as a proportion to that states number of women members? That latter option takes care of the women that transfer back "home." Don;t think we'll ever see that kind of data analysis. The best you can on your own is review the sketchy chart on Wikipedia with numbers of initiates by GLO that is referenced to various sources.
I bet you could get a decent approximation based on Quota and Total figures from IrishPipe's thread. There are a lot of gaps in information, but they tend to be from smaller campuses.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Is is all just about numbers?

I going to add a wrench into all of this.

I think that have the large amount of chapters in a given state is important.
However, wouldn't it also be important to look at the given school/s in the state including the strength of the chapters, RMF issues, grades, campus/community involvement and quota/retention?

So ABC has 27 chapters BIG STATE. However they are at
  • BOONIEVILLE DRUNKEN BIG STATE - struggles, barely has enough to fill the house and closest thing to sober on campus
  • NORTHEAST BOONIEVILLE DRUNKEN BIG STATE - unofficial keg stand champions but don't tell their national.
  • SOUTHEAST BOONIEVILLE DRUNKEN BIG STATE - Campus chapter of the year, the golden child.
  • UNIVERSITY OF BIG STATE - struggles, poor grades, lack of sisterhood, not making quota, will close soon

Alumnae are active to keep the chapters going. Occasional teas and toddlers programs.

VS.

XYZ in the same state
  • PRESTIGIOUS PRIVATE UNIVERSITY - Campus chapter of the year, the golden child.
  • UNIVERSITY OF BIG STATE - Campus chapter of the year, the golden child. Every PNM wants this chapter. Legacy line around the block.

Alumnae mentor collegians, networking opportunities. Huge annual XYZ Debutante Ball that benefits the local children's hospital. Anchor of one of the television news stations is an alumna.