GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,157
0 members and 2,157 guests
No Members online

Old 04-04-2012, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
^^ Arlington was one of the hardest hit areas I haven't heard any reports of major injuries or fatalities, but there was a lot of property damage.
I just talked to my co-worker who works with our account down there. If I had an email address to the guy I used to deal with for payroll, I'd shoot him one to see how they are all doing. Any word of automotive plants with damage? I'm impatient! And I don't think she's going to call because it's not her direct account.

KLTC
Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
I just talked to my co-worker who works with our account down there. If I had an email address to the guy I used to deal with for payroll, I'd shoot him one to see how they are all doing. Any word of automotive plants with damage? I'm impatient! And I don't think she's going to call because it's not her direct account.
The only auto plant I remember being in Arlington is the GM plant -- the hardest hit area was south-west of it.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is the storm map from yesterday's storm. Http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd/?n=april32012sum

For those concerned about friends/family you shoul be able to determine if they were located near the tornados.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
The only auto plant I remember being in Arlington is the GM plant -- the hardest hit area was south-west of it.
Should've mentioned auto supplier. My co-worker heard from someone and I guess they're all ok.

KLTC
Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

A long-exposure shot of lightning striking the Bay Bridge last night. Glad no one was on it!

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
A long-exposure shot of lightning striking the Bay Bridge last night. Glad no one was on it!

That's an awesome picture, but it probably happens all the time. Just like they say planes get struck all the time. Creepy!

Anyone on anyone in Oklahoma?

KLTC
Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...011855690.html

I had TV on in the background when they touched upon this too, and I think they mentioned last time they there was a severe alert this far in advance was in '06 when there was an outbreak of 100 tornadoes? I hope I heard that wrong/I hope it doesn't end up being too bad.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
Anyone on anyone in Oklahoma?
We had some stuff here last night. A few tornadoes in the Norman area (about 45 mins from me) and in SW Oklahoma. About the worst of it for me was the heavy rain. Got to go clean out the gutters of my house between storms because they were so filled with debris from trees. Otherwise, no problems here.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-01-2012, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Apparently funnel clouds were spotted just a few miles west of UIUC. My brother is safe in the dorms, although he said sirens are going off right now. I had to laugh because I remember being deafened during tornado siren tests--the sirens are located right on top of one of the dorms!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Apparently funnel clouds were spotted just a few miles west of UIUC. My brother is safe in the dorms, although he said sirens are going off right now. I had to laugh because I remember being deafened during tornado siren tests--the sirens are located right on top of one of the dorms!
Yikes. Keep us posted.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Tropical Storm Alberto is running along the southeast coast near Charleston, SC. Tropical season usually starts on June 30. This really is a bizarre weather year.

Not severe, but since the weather has been nice in Michigan for so long, I have to keep reminding myself what month it is. Usually people wait to plant their annuals and things until Memorial Day weekend to be safe from occasional night time freezes but this year, people have everything planted. Everybody except me, that is. I just haven't had time!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Posting again because Tropical Storm Beryl is affecting Florida now. I guess I was wrong about tropical weather season because they just said on The Weather Channel that it starts June 1st. However, it is very, very rare to have two by this time of year already. Looks like my dad in Ocala could get quite a bit of rain. Pretty crazy though!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I live in Jacksonville and we're getting pounded by rain right now and some serious wind gusts that are coming in with the bands. We need the rain because we're in a drought, but we don't need 10 inches in 24 hours - street flooding here we come!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:05 AM
GreekChat Member

T.S. Debby

Apparently Florida - which doesn't need the rain - is getting 3 - 6 inches of rain now. We could really use it - but no one seems to be able to predict what the storm will do next.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Florida was in extreme drought before this tropical season started early. Hoping Texas will get their share too, without the damaging winds, etc. of a hurricane.

This whole past weather year has been so bizarre. We barely had any snow because it was too warm. Weather wise, we've been like two months ahead of where we usually are, since February. The heat we've had in the past month, along with lack of much rain is making it look like August here. My grass is really brown, despite one big rain storm last week but we aren't in the extreme drought that some areas are experiencing.