GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,975
0 members and 1,975 guests
No Members online

Old 08-24-2001, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to canadajen
UF brat, MollyUF - ANXIOUSLY awaiting your rush updates!!

Uf brat, MollyUF,

Hi girls! I know that I keep logging back on here to check to see how your rush experiences are going so far ... we've heard from UF girl (did I get that right) about her round 3 invites, but we don't know where you two are going to?? Are you happy ... sad , nervous / worried ??? ... I am absolutely DYING to hear all about it!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure that I speak for a lot of people when I say that I can't wait to hear all about your experiences!! ) This is my first year as an alum, and let me tell you about how much I miss it already - as I type this my chapter is gathering at the annual rush retreat & most likely having a blast. Please don't keep us in suspense any longer

Good luck & be sure to follow your heart,

Jen
Delta Zeta '97
Alpha Gamma Delta

Last edited by canadajen; 09-16-2001 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOPIHottie Send a message via Yahoo to AOPIHottie
Jen,

I am with you girl! I am sooooo nervous waiting to see where they end up, I check here every few hours to see if they have replied! Glad I am not the only one.....ladies, we are cheering for ya!!!!
Old 08-25-2001, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

AHHHHHH

It's just me again (sorry to disappoint)... I just had to bump this thread up again ... oh where oh where have uf brat & mollyfu gone, oh where oh where can they be?? (sorry, it's been one of those nights!) ... ladies, we're thinking about you & hoping for the very best!!

AHHH!! I just can't wait to hear about their experiences ... has anyone else heard something, anything?? As so many other have said, this is better than any soap opera )

Jen
Old 08-25-2001, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

The only one I have heard of is UF Girl. I don't know where the other two are....but, if Molly and UFBrat, if you are on here, and did get cut, let us know, we will still be here for you

-Jen, I hope they havent 'disappeared' because they didn't make it. Even though I am sure that isnt the case.

Come back to us ladies!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2001, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
UFBrat (Brianne) withdrew from Recruitment. She was cut pretty heavily after the first round and of the 5 invites she rec'd, was only interested in one. I have spoken with her and she is going to investigate COB in the Spring.

Barbara
Old 08-25-2001, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PnguinTrax
UFBrat (Brianne) withdrew from Recruitment. She was cut pretty heavily after the first round and of the 5 invites she rec'd, was only interested in one. I have spoken with her and she is going to investigate COB in the Spring.

Barbara
Thank you very much for the update Barbara!

Brianne (aka UFBrat) - I am so sorry to hear that you withdrew from recruitment - it is their loss! You sound like a sweet individual and someone that would make a great addition & contribution to a chapter. No matter what, I do hope that you will keep coming back to Greekchat and become part of our community here - we'd love to have you

and to MollyUF (who was also posting here), I hope that your second rush experience is going well - please fill us in! I know that you were a little wary after last year, but were determined to approach things differently this time. I wish you the best luck at preferences today & do hope to hear which sisterhood you may be joining tomorrow )

- Jen

Always remember, things really do happen for a reason.

Old 08-25-2001, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Barbara,

Brianne, don't worry about it. Remember what we said, you will end up where you belong, and you may not know until COB, I do hope you will try it though, please come soon, we all miss you.

Molly, Same to you, I hope that you are having a great time, and let us know what is going on, hopefully you will be back soon with a new group of sisters to share with us.
Old 08-26-2001, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Aw! You guys are making me feel so special! I thought I bored everyone to tears with my last post so I got lazy about writing updates. Not to mention, everything gets so hectic and busy with recruitment, I didn't feel like I even had a spare minute!!

Anyways, this is what has transpired since round II. When I got my invites back for Round III, I was tickled pink. A few houses I had thought were nice didn't invite me back, but I couldn't really see myself in them. However, my two BIG favorites invited me back and I couldn't have been happier. I wanted to refrain from using names just to save the feelings of those who are affilliated with certain sororities I like, or dislike, but I'm going to throw a few important ones out there.

Chi Omega inviting me back was huge. When I left after round two, I was on could nine. My face hurt from smiling so much and I KNEW they would ask me back. The girls remembered everything about me from Round I, I felt totally at home and, I don't know, I just knew. Chi O could be home for me. When I left after Round III from Chi Omega, I started crying. I was so overwhelmed by the thought that these incredibly awesome girls could be my SISTERS. I had had an almost transcendent experience at the house. When I watched the videos, I saw myself. I saw girls I had only met a few times, but felt like I was watching friends. My talks with the girls were great and I noticed I spoke with a lot of New Member Educators. I just knew I was so in that house. As long as I got Chi Omega back, I was gold. When I left the house, the tears flowed b/c I was so happy I had found where I wanted to spend the next three years of my college life. It was such an amazing, safe, moment.

My roommate is really superstitious and when I told her I was sure that I was going Chi O, she was displeased b/c she thought the skull and crossbones was bad luck. That night I went to bed totally content and looking forward to the next morning. I went for a run first thing when I got up, did some stadiums, and ran over to the Student Union. I sat down, recieved my slip and my eyes glazed over and my heart shattered. It wasn't on there. There were exactly three houses, only one of which I was remotely interested in. I tapped my favorite Rho Chi on the shoulder and asked her to come outside with me. I broke down, I was so crushed. For the past year, I've heard from more people, that I would be a PERECT XO. After going through, I thought everyone that had told me that, had nailed it right on the head. I couldn't imagine going anywhere else at that point. Didn't those girls realize what I could be for them? What they could be for me? That I was meant to be there?? I sobbed a lot, but there was no way my body could keep up with the thoughts racing through my head....

This is it, my last chance as a sophomore and it's over. My dream of being greek at UF is over. No tailgates at football parties. No meals at the house. I'll never live in a sorority house. No chapter meetings, no sisters, no nothing. What would my other friends rushing think? What was XO thinking??? What would my fraternity friends think? I feel like such a loser, what didn't I have? Why didn't Chi Omega realize how great I was for them??? Was there a mistake, didn't they realize??? Could they go back and fix it? This couldn't really be the end...

Finally my thoughts turned a corner, and I begand to focus much more on how much Chi Omega messed up, rather than asking what was wrong with me. Unfortunately, it's an imperfect system, and I guess I slipped through the cracks. I feel badly for XO because now they'll never know what they missed out on. My Rho Chi half convinced me to go through with prefs, and I turned in my slip. The only house I was even mildly interested in was Kappa Kappa Gamma. But they had always been nice to me, and clearly they saw something in me that they found worthwhile. I started thinking about myself in that sorority and liked what I was imagining. I felt like I could really add something to that house. I didn't just blend in my head at Kappa as I did at Chi O, but I felt like I could make more of an impact there, if that makes sense. And that was a good feeling, like I could stick out there instead of being one of a mass. Plus, the Kappa house is just beautiful, it's close to my dorm, and they are without doubt, a classy bunch of ladies.

What really sealed the deal with my good friend Dave though. I was futon shopping today and he came on the radio in the car and a certain lyric popped out at me.

And if you hold on tight
To what you think is your thing
You may find you're missing all the rest
She ran up into the light surprised
Her arms are open
Her mind's eye is...

Seeing things from a
Better side than most can dream
On a better road I feel
So you could say she's safe
Whatever tears at her
Whatever holds her down
And if nothing can be done
She'll make the best of what's around

Turns out not where but what you think
That really matters

So, after hearing that, I felt like I was closing my mind off because I was hanging too tightly on to Chi Omega. I kind of imagined Kappa as the light I ran up to surprised. I know regardless of what happens, my attitude will pull me through because I'll make the best of it.

So, tonight was pref night. (BTW - Round III I wore a killer strapless (but classy, not tacky) dress with this awesome looking vintage flower print on it in Blue and Cream. I had a little cardy tied around my shoulders and the good ol' CZ's in the ears. I wore these cute new sparkly white thong shoes with wooden soles I recently got. I looked awesome) Tonight I wore a simple black dress with some beading around the bust and hem and black shoes. I curled my hair, but nothing else too exciting. I think I looked nice.

Anyways, the houses. The first two houses were not great for me. The girls were pleasant, but hardly sisterly. Especially after the bond I felt at XO, the whole thing felt cheesy and I really wanted it to be over. But it was an experience and I'm glad I went through it.

Finally I got to Kappa. I cried about Chi O right before we went in, for about the tenth time today. After the disappointment I felt at the first two houses of my pref round, I didn't think Kappa held out much hope. The girls came out in beautiful white dresses and were carrying flowers. The girl called out our names, and even though I'm registered under my real name, they remembered I liked to be called Molly. First really good sign. I was approached by a girl that I had spoken with before and was relieved to see a familiar face. We had a really great talk, the house looked beautiful, once again, NOT CHEESEY, so things were looking up. As I got more into the flow of conversation, I opened up (hopefully not too much), about how Kappa was my favorite house I was preffing and how I felt really comfortable with the girls there, how I was touched that they saw something great in me. She was really flattered, and told me how several girls were fighting over who got to talk to me. That definitely made my day. I hope I didn't lay my enthusiasm for the house on too thick though. I tend to be really emotive and thus, when I get enthusiastic, I get a littel eager. We walked into a room that was swathed in white. There was a small ceremony and the girls sang some songs. Something I LOVED was that they were traditional Kappa songs, not some popular sappy song of the moment like at the other houses. No cheesy synth background or anything. Just pretty chants that directly pertained to their chapter. The whole thing felt really holy, and looking around I felt this sense of pride that these girls could be my sisters. As we left, I felt this momentary sense of doom, that I was not comingi back, like I had gotten my hopes up again and now they were just going to be dashed. Like there was no way I would recieve a bid to Kappa.

So anyways, fast forward to about an hour or so ago. I preffed Kappa first and they other two after that. I would have suicided, but supposedly, the computer makes you ineligable for a bid if you do that. I do know that if I recieve a bid from someone other than KKG I'll decline and just accept that that's how the cookie crumbled. I'll be disappointed, but, I think I'm ready for massive disappointed after the crushing blow I suffered today. My hopes are not high. Prefs made me really like Kappa. I can't say I loved it, b/c the only love I know from recruitment is Chi O. I'm still pretty raw on that. But everything happens for a reason, and if I get a bid to Kappa, that's where I need to be, and I'll embrace my new home. Chi Omega broke my heart today, but perhaps it was for the best. Who knows the friends I have waiting for me at Kappa, or outside the greek system if I don't get a bid. I think I've braced myself for tomorrow, but I'd better get a good nights sleep just the same.

Thank you guys for being so interested! It's definitely been an interesting, exciting, fun, and trying week. Know that whatever happens, I'm going to be great. I have the delicious ability to bounce back and see the best in everything.
I'll be sure to post as soon as I can about what happens.

M
Old 08-26-2001, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow. Your story is so touching. I feel bad for you, but I'm also happy for you. Whatever happens, just remember (even though sometimes it is the hardest thing to do) that things that are supposed to happen will happen. I hope that everything works out for you!! But most of all I hope you are happy wherever you end up!! Good luck!
Old 08-26-2001, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh Molly! You sound sooo sweet! I loved your story, thank you for sharing with us. I can't wait to find out how it ends.

This might sound silly, but even if KKG doesn't come through, and you do get another house, why not give it a try? You may find that the house you do get was where you were meant to be all along.

Best of luck to you! No matter what happens, you are a special person--your inner beauty shines through in your posts.

Jen
Old 08-26-2001, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

UF Brat - I am so sorry sweetie . PLEASE go for COB - I know you would be such an awesome addition to a sorority! Take care ok?!! We at GC want you back here ASAP !

Molly - I'm so happy for you - I really, really hope that you get Kappa tomorrow!!! I'm sad though, reading about Chi-O. BUT, things do happen for a reason, and hopefully Kappa will be for you! If not - it's OK, who knows - you can go through COB and perhaps get Chi-O again! You know waht...thanks so much for posting...this really is better than any soap opera! You write so beautifully and eloquently...have you ever thought of writing for your school's newspaper? Just a thought . I am sick right now, and feeling so lacked-of-energy, but while reading your post - I smiled... those experiences with Chi O and Kappa were so beautiful...but what I'm trying to say is, that your post was sooo wonderful and so sincere that it really makes me impatient to go into Rush (next year hopefully)! lol.

thank you again for letting us "peek" into your Rush experience!!! I REALLY am praying for you that you can go where you will be happy with your new sisters. I hope that your next post will bring some happy news!
Old 08-26-2001, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
I'm sorry that your rush didn't work out as you planned, but trust me when I say things happen for a reason. It's hard to believe, but it will work out perfectly. I'm sorry Chi O didn't work out for you, and of course no one knows how or why they didn't invite you back, but maybe it's written in the stars that you're meant for another sorority. Don't be blinded by the shock, or you might not see your new home...
best of luck
Heidi
Old 08-26-2001, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Molly,

I'm so sorry that Chi-O didn't work out for you. But I really do admire your attitude. And I must agree that Dave is a very good pick me up. I was really frustrated a couple of weeks ago when I was job hunting and I used the same song you heard to give me that extra boost that I needed.

Good luck to you and thanks for sharing
Old 08-26-2001, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Molly, if you receive a bid from someone other that Kappa, PLEASE give them a try. They saw something wonderful and precious in you, and used one of their bids to ask you to become a sister. That makes you very special in their eyes. Don't reject them right away. Meet them, get to know them, give them a chance. The members of the houses know better than you whether or not you would fit in with them. Don't make a hasty decision.

On the other hand- I hope you become a Kappa, because you have obviously gotten your heart set on them now. Good luck, and let us know as soon as you can what happens.
Old 08-26-2001, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

Thanks everyone for replying so warmly!

For all of you that think I should accept a bid wherever I am offered one, I'd like to offer an explanation why I am not going to. I understand where you are coming from, and your points are totally valid. I'm not willing to compromise myself just to be in a sorority though. Kappa would be great for me, these other two houses, I know would not.

Both of those houses are two of the weaker houses on campus. They extend a bid to whomever will join. While I'd like to think that they saw something great in me, and perhaps they did, I don't want to be a part of a chapter that will take just anyone.

Also, (and I know I'm going to be stoned for this), I wouldn't be proud wearing the letters of either of those houses. I'd also be embarrassed by what my friends thought of me joining either sorority. (There, I've said it, you can crucify me now). I've been on this campus for a whole year and I know the reputations of the different sororoities. All the people I socialize with would be shocked and appalled if I associated myself with either house. All my friends are currently shocked and appalled at what has happened to me throughout the recruitment proccess. All the people I've told, (In the greek system and outside), were floored when they found out where I've had to pref. Those houses are so not me. I wouldn't be comfortable. Why should I desecrate a chapter with my shame and embarrassment? That would be a terrible thing to do. Probably more so to the particular sorority than to myself.

So, I don't want to be Greek that badly. Being at the University of Florida has been an amazing experience thus far, and I don't anticipate that stopping just because I don't go Greek. If I get Kappa (and supposedly it's about a 1 out of 3 chance I will), I'll be thrilled to try it on and see how it fits. I think it will be great for me. But I don't NEED a sorority to make my next three years unforgettable. I have a circle of friends that expands every day, and I have the privilege of going to a University, that I believe, proivides the premiere college experience in this nation. I'm a blessed little chicky. Judge me if you want to, but this is how I truly feel, and I won't compromise my instincts.