GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,493
2 members and 1,491 guests
naraht

Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

What exactly is Natty Light? I know they referenced it once on Glee but we don't have it here
Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
What exactly is Natty Light? I know they referenced it once on Glee but we don't have it here
Natural Ice Light. A very cheap, very shitty beer. So it is the stereotypical "frat beer".
Old 05-11-2010, 10:41 PM

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/1524/

You aren't missing anything.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

So we have Tri Delts that were suspended last year, Pi Phi that is on probation and Fuzzies on social probation. From what I read, the first two can't recruit next year, can Fuzzy?

This is unbelievable and no reflection of what the rest of the university is like. I hope more parents are able to read the letter that the Lodge wrote to the university. They should be ashamed of their "adult" (used loosely) daughters.

And, I agree with Mel, I am not surprised when I heard what group this was. I haven't been to Oxford in 25 years and this disputes nothing of what I have been told.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Natural Ice Light. A very cheap, very shitty beer. So it is the stereotypical "frat beer".
It used to be Buckhorn. Nasty.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

UGH @ "Fuzzies"

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Old 05-11-2010, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDMeesh View Post
UGH @ "Fuzzies"
Ehh, that's what they are known as at OSU and Miami, plus at a couple other Ohio universities that I can't remember. Not a slur on them, but I can understand how not everyone is enamored of that nickname.

And the actions of those Pi Phis and their dates, if true, is reprehensible.

Last edited by southbymidwest; 05-11-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow...I'm pretty much embarrassed to be called a sister to those right now.
I know that for my chapter of Pi Phi, our president, VPMD, and at least 3 other members had to be trained (by Panhel) sober monitors for any event where alcohol was present. I'm too lazy to get out the policy and position statements to look up exact rules. We normally had a few extra monitors there. Members were told if they got out of control, they would be sent home...either by taxi or by our alum chair's car. And we followed through.

This is ridiculous and disgusting. Not all formals are like that. Isn't formal supposed to be a classy event?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I think Univ of AZ has a good policy. I as an alumna would not want to be in the position of policing these young women. It puts alumnae in an awkward position, may actually leave them open to liability and may injure their relationship with the chapter when it comes to sanctioning the chapter.
Not only that...I sure as hell would rather have Big Burly Security Guy telling Drunken Formal Date (who bench presses 500) that he has to leave the formal than have to put 100 Pound Alumna in that position.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
Ehh, that's what they are known as at OSU and Miami, plus at a couple other Ohio universities that I can't remember. Not a slur on them, but I can understand how not everyone is enamored of that nickname.
I know it's popular up there, but it makes me cringe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevinpiphi View Post

This is ridiculous and disgusting. Not all formals are like that. Isn't formal supposed to be a classy event?
Everything I've read online where people have commented all say that this is a "typical" formal at Miami. Apparently the Alpha Xi troubles came from formal too. It's really sad that this kind of "formal" is a staple and if so all those Greeks need to clean their acts up. It's very ridiculous.

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Old 05-11-2010, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
Natural Light beer. Cheap beer of choice for those who choose it.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

My older son attended a sorority formal on the very same night that the Pi Phi formal took place and he said although he doesn't remember seeing adult advisors at the formal, the sorority president and social chairman were monitoring every girl and her date as they got on the bus to leave for the formal. Anyone who was obviously intoxicated was not allowed to board the bus. He also said that there were sorority members at the formal who were closely watching what was going on and he knows of at least one girl and her date who were sent home in a taxi at their own expense. I would imagine that most sororites would have a system like this in place (althought clearly Pi Phi did not).

My son's girlfriend who is in a sorority at Miami told me that none of the three chapters on suspension at Miami will be able to participate in recruitment until their suspensions have ended.

And both of my boys have said this is typical behavior from this chapter.

Last edited by TriDelta alum; 05-12-2010 at 02:24 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-12-2010, 06:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDMeesh View Post
I know it's popular up there, but it makes me cringe.

Everything I've read online where people have commented all say that this is a "typical" formal at Miami. Apparently the Alpha Xi troubles came from formal too. It's really sad that this kind of "formal" is a staple and if so all those Greeks need to clean their acts up. It's very ridiculous.
Trust, it's not typical. There just happen to be a few chapters that are largely composed of self-entitled brats who don't give a shit about other people's property and think the rules don't apply to them. Miami is a predominantly white, upper-class school where a lot of people come from money, and the worst of them congregate into the same chapters. (Although I wouldn't lump Fuzzie into that category -- I know several chapters are on probation from their organization, but I hadn't heard about them.)
Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

The only saving grace from this is that I would like to think that *most* of us who are/have been greek know that it isn't necessarily a smear on the Pi Phi name. We understand it's the individuals that make the bad choices and we know that not every Pi Phi house, not even CLOSE, is like that. It's sad that the issues that come up are the only things that get attention in the press and the only thing that independents hear about. As far as these girls go, I would be embarrassed to call them sisters but I wouldn't be embarrassed to be a Pi Phi. You guys have a great house and you do great things, and for whatever it's worth, you have my support.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDelta alum View Post

And both of my boys have said this is typical behavior from this chapter.
I am in no way defending their actions because what they did was disgusting and makes ALL greeks look bad, BUT let's try and stay away from stereotypes like this. Not every single member of any chapter has the same "typical behavior". True, certain chapters have certain stereotypes but we should at least stand together panhellenically. That sounded really cheesy. Ok, stepping off soapbox now!

FWIW, I know some Miami greeks from high school. I'd be interested to hear how things are up in Oxford because of all of this. I wonder if this will affect the way all chapters' formals are done...