GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 541
2 members and 539 guests
Low D Flat, naraht

Old 01-29-2001, 10:54 PM

It's a tragedy that nobody can afford. Our condolences go out to the family and the chapter.

I just read in the Ohio University Post that the O.U. chapter of Phi Kappa Sigma has closed. The reason stated is that their National had to raise insurance rates (over $300 per member) and the chapter couldn't afford to stay in operation.

The reason for the rate increase? The National was sued by the parents of a Texas student who died of alcohol poisoning. The payment was $2 million dollars according to the Associated Press.

Will we ever learn moderation? Or will this happen again and again until all of our nationals can't afford insurance -- or go bankrupt?

I've said this before in many threads, but this is a much larger issue than many want to believe. The future of the entire Greek System is at risk.

But even more tragic is another death.

Think about it.

DeltAlum
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-30-2001, 12:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Unhappy Pi Kappa Phi brother dies

A Pi Kappa Phi brother died at Bloomsburg University this weekend, possibly related to alcohol. You can read about this at the Press-Enterprise, the local newspaper in the town of Bloomsburg. If any of you are Pi Kaps, I would ask that you have your chapters send condolences if possible. This is another terrible tragedy the greek system at Bloomsburg couldn't afford.
Old 01-30-2001, 10:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Unhappy

DeltAlum:

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you for your post, and I'll keep you updated on any more developments.

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum:
It's a tragedy that nobody can afford. Our condolences go out to the family and the chapter.

I just read in the Ohio University Post that the O.U. chapter of Phi Kappa Sigma has closed. The reason stated is that their National had to raise insurance rates (over $300 per member) and the chapter couldn't afford to stay in operation.

The reason for the rate increase? The National was sued by the parents of a Texas student who died of alcohol poisoning. The payment was $2 million dollars according to the Associated Press.

Will we ever learn moderation? Or will this happen again and again until all of our nationals can't afford insurance -- or go bankrupt?

I've said this before in many threads, but this is a much larger issue than many want to believe. The future of the entire Greek System is at risk.

But even more tragic is another death.

Think about it.

DeltAlum