GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,235
0 members and 1,235 guests
No Members online

Old 09-13-2018, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not withholding any truth, I don't see how that would be helpful. I'm being completely honest, this is from my point-of-view. I don't know if I have any red flags about me I don't think I do. The only thing I can think of is that I don't have any connections of people I know that are in sororities/greek life. The only ones I know are people who've been graduated for 15 + years.

Again this is completely from my POV so there could be something I don't see or realize, but with that being said I am giving my complete and honest truths within the threads I have posted on here. My rush experience not making sense ALSO doesn't make sense to me! This is why I thought coming on GC would help get to the bottom of it. However, maybe it's a sign from the universe that I'm not meant to be in a sorority because in my opinion I have all the qualifications to be in one.

Thank you for all of the help and inputs so far. I really appreciate it!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-13-2018, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Going to be really honest.

This is your third recruitment. 2nd formal recruitment at a very large Big 10 campus.

I think it is time to move on from sorority.

You tried. You did. But there tends to be diminishing returns with each effort. A third formal recruitment is not going to get you a better result. Whether you meet a ton of members this year or not.

I'd do some soul searching about other opportunities on campus that you may be interested in. One positive about much of the Big 10 is that there are tons of things to get involved in.

Pining away for and holding out hope for sorority at this point is taking time that you could be using to really jump into something else and enjoy college.

You have a good point thank you KSUViolet06! I just really wish I knew why being in a sorority wasn't in the books for me.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:05 AM
GreekChat Member

The same reason I'm not going to win a Nobel Peace Prize nor an Oscar nor an Emmy nor be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame -I'm not qualified according to the committees who make these determinations. Seriously. You did not meet the qualifications for the groups on that campus...whatever those qualifications might be. Sorry to be so blunt. My dear PH sister AZTheta (hey,sweetie!) was far more eloquent.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterng!rl2 View Post
I am not withholding any truth, I don't see how that would be helpful. I'm being completely honest, this is from my point-of-view. I don't know if I have any red flags about me I don't think I do. The only thing I can think of is that I don't have any connections of people I know that are in sororities/greek life. The only ones I know are people who've been graduated for 15 + years.

Again this is completely from my POV so there could be something I don't see or realize, but with that being said I am giving my complete and honest truths within the threads I have posted on here. My rush experience not making sense ALSO doesn't make sense to me! This is why I thought coming on GC would help get to the bottom of it. However, maybe it's a sign from the universe that I'm not meant to be in a sorority because in my opinion I have all the qualifications to be in one.

Thank you for all of the help and inputs so far. I really appreciate it!
You seem like a very nice girl with the best of intentions. I'm sorry rush didn't work out for you. For some people I know, joining Alpha Phi Omega, a national co-ed service fraternity, turned out to be a great option after rush didn't work out or they just weren't feeling the social Greek thing. It's very likely your school has a chapter. I do believe they have some kind of rush and a pledge period. From what I know, I think it's a very nice mix of social and service. Good luck to you!! I think you have a lot to offer any organization!!
Old 09-14-2018, 08:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to hazard a guess here. Do you have a hard time connecting to people? When you said you didn't know how to reach out and become friends with the sorority women in your classes or organizations it made me wonder? Maybe in recruitment, you came across as awkward or really shy. I have a sister (Gamma Sigma Sigma) who went through NPC rush twice and was not selected both times. She fits into the above description. However, once we got to know her, she is a lovely person. Her personality just doesn't work with the quick pace of recruitment. She needs time to get to know people. It took her pretty much a semester to really find her niche. Someone like this is going to do pretty poorly in formal, and even informal recruitment. Maybe you could do better in a service organization.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

To midwesterg!rl:

First, you will go through many life experiences where the outcome doesn't make sense and it does you no good to keep dwelling on it. You will never know why it didn't work for you to join a sorority and you'll drive yourself mad trying to figure it out. Future experiences like this might be not getting the job of your dreams (and someone who seemed less qualified gets it), some type of financial or medical crisis or a marital breakdown - stuff happens to good people that doesn't make sense. The people I know who've gone through tough things have been able to move on in life because they learned to let go and accept what happened.

Also, *winter*, your guess is what I was thinking. OP had written earlier about being extremely nervous to re-rush due to what houses might think. If she is indeed a very quiet personality that doesn't do well in a setting like rush, then that, combined with being very nervous, could be why she was not successful.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 614 View Post
You seem like a very nice girl with the best of intentions. I'm sorry rush didn't work out for you. For some people I know, joining Alpha Phi Omega, a national co-ed service fraternity, turned out to be a great option after rush didn't work out or they just weren't feeling the social Greek thing. It's very likely your school has a chapter. I do believe they have some kind of rush and a pledge period. From what I know, I think it's a very nice mix of social and service. Good luck to you!! I think you have a lot to offer any organization!!
No. No. No no no no no. HELL NO.

Alpha Phi Omega (or any other social/service or social/professional organization) is NOT a consolation prize for not getting into an NPC, NIC or NPHC group.

People who get into APO chapters and attempt to use them as a substitute are a drain on the chapter, and too many of them joining at one time can completely ruin the chapter and its intended purpose.

Do NOT offer membership, or even the possibility of it, in organizations that you obviously know next to nothing about.