GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,965
0 members and 2,965 guests
No Members online

Old 08-18-2013, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Best of luck to your sister in the future, I'll just personally never understand why someone especially with the qualifiers your sister has (upperclassmen, grade risk) would make it to pref and then drop out for the incredibly slim chance of COB which will be with either chapters that already dropped you, or the chapters you preffed at.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
Best of luck to your sister in the future, I'll just personally never understand why someone especially with the qualifiers your sister has (upperclassmen, grade risk) would make it to pref and then drop out for the incredibly slim chance of COB which will be with either chapters that already dropped you, or the chapters you preffed at.
I know. And i'm so heartbroken right now because I can hear girls outside running to their houses and that could've been her. And even though she dropped out, last night, her Rho Gamma extended the offer for her to still pref, but she didn't.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

WestcoastWonder, I am very sorry to hear about your sister's disappointing recruitment. I had my hopes up for her. I hope it all turns out OK for her in the end and she has a great college experience.

Also, just as a random question on the side, why is there a Sigma Alpha Iota crest showing for Alpha Omicron Pi on the WSU Panhellenic website? As we all know, AOII doesn't have a crest.

True and Constant
Old 08-18-2013, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
WestcoastWonder, I am very sorry to hear about your sister's disappointing recruitment. I had my hopes up for her. I hope it all turns out OK for her in the end and she has a great college experience.

Also, just as a random question on the side, why is there a Sigma Alpha Iota crest showing for Alpha Omicron Pi on the WSU Panhellenic website? As we all know, AOII doesn't have a crest.
Wow...that's weird.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-19-2013, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Another Update?!

According to speculation around the Greek community at the school, allegedly only three chapters made quota? I believe a little over 800 women participated and I noticed in photos and while out and about, pledge classes were quite small. So I guess informal recruitment may be a little more popular?

Anyway, it's all just he-said, she-said. Theres always gossip and rumors floating around on Bid Day.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Coug alum here, I have been trying hard to find what quota was, but have not had any luck. Do you know any numbers? Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnpgopenguins View Post
Coug alum here, I have been trying hard to find what quota was, but have not had any luck. Do you know any numbers? Thanks
I'm afraid you and I are on the same boat here. I'd like to know as well.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

WestcoastWonder,

I don't want to add further disappointment to your sister. I'm obviously just the mother of a sorority woman who's spent quite a bit of time reading on this forum and who knows something about this campus, but I don't want to stray out of my lane and say what could and could not happen for sure. There are many women on here who are experts on how recruitment numbers and quota works so I'll leave it to them to explain with any certainty why this would or would not be possible.

I did ask daughter if she thought that was possible. Of course she's not an expert either, but she obviously knows more than me about a) WSU and b) how the recruitment numbers/quota things work. She said that the likelihood of 10 chapters out of 13 on any campus and particularly on this one, not making quota are virtually impossible. Actually she said she'd never heard of that happening anywhere and she flatly didn't think it could happen the way RFM works, but again, she's not an expert.

In this case it would mean that either ten chapters seriously miscalculated or the majority of girls who went to preference and filled out bid cards saying they would accept bids to the chapters they wrote down all changed their minds on bid day and collectively decided not to show up.

Also, I can assure you that at least in the last decade (that's how long she's had older friends, friends, and younger friends go to WSU and go through recruitment) this has never, ever happened before. It would be completely unprecedented. In all likelihood when you are out and about and seeing the photos you are seeing parts of a pledge class. Usually, as I said there are two or three that do informal. In the last five years she has known of five different sororities that did informal (there may have been a couple more that did it), but not all of them did informal every year- if that makes sense.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOmom View Post
WestcoastWonder,

I don't want to add further disappointment to your sister. I'm obviously just the mother of a sorority woman who's spent quite a bit of time reading on this forum and who knows something about this campus, but I don't want to stray out of my lane and say what could and could not happen for sure. There are many women on here who are experts on how recruitment numbers and quota works so I'll leave it to them to explain with any certainty why this would or would not be possible.

I did ask daughter if she thought that was possible. Of course she's not an expert either, but she obviously knows more than me about a) WSU and b) how the recruitment numbers/quota things work. She said that the likelihood of 10 chapters out of 13 on any campus and particularly on this one, not making quota are virtually impossible. Actually she said she'd never heard of that happening anywhere and she flatly didn't think it could happen the way RFM works, but again, she's not an expert.

In this case it would mean that either ten chapters seriously miscalculated or the majority of girls who went to preference and filled out bid cards saying they would accept bids to the chapters they wrote down all changed their minds on bid day and collectively decided not to show up.

Also, I can assure you that at least in the last decade (that's how long she's had older friends, friends, and younger friends go to WSU and go through recruitment) this has never, ever happened before. It would be completely unprecedented. In all likelihood when you are out and about and seeing the photos you are seeing parts of a pledge class. Usually, as I said there are two or three that do informal. In the last five years she has known of five different sororities that did informal (there may have been a couple more that did it), but not all of them did informal every year- if that makes sense.

Like I said, just campus speculation. But several girls dropped out/were dropped this year. But who really knows. It all sounded far fetched to begin with.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestcoastWonder View Post
allegedly only three chapters made quota? I believe a little over 800 women participated
Pledge classes could be quite small, but that doesn't mean only 3 chapters made quota. That's not how RFM works. If 50 or 100 or 1000 girls attend preference parties, they are thrown into the computer and the machine determines what quota should be in order to match the most number of girls. Because the chapters have made mandatory cuts through the process, the girls couldn't all end up at only 3 chapters. Now a truckload of girls could have dropped out and turned what should have been 50 member pledge classes into 25 member pledge classes. But that doesn't mean they didn't meet quota.

But based on how it works at really successful Greek schools, there shouldn't be more than 15 or 20% reduction between start and finish. If it's more than that, there's a problem with the Greek system there that needs to be resolved. This isn't 1 or 2 chapters spoiling the fun for the rest. In my opinion only, of course.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I am not positive on this number but I think quota was right around 50, and it appeared to me that most if not all chapters made quota. I have not heard this number from anyone but have seen several chapter pictures with the quote "50 new alphas," or "50 new doves," so my guess is quota is right around that number.

And I do know there have been years in the past at WSU where a good chunk of chapters did not made quota, I believe this happened in 2004 or 2005 if I recall, it was the year when my lil sis in the house was on Panhellenic, so not positive on the year, but I think that it is one of those two years.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Are these pictures on Facebook? I can't seem to find anything, with the exception of what some people have posted here.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Some chapters post the pictures on facebook, instagram or twitter. Some nationals also post recruitment results weekly. Some posters know people who are in the know.

I tried to count the KD picture. It ends up right around 50. I'm horrible at that though. You'd think that with the prevalence of social media, that chapters would be better about using it.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-19-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsucalsigmakapp View Post
I am not positive on this number but I think quota was right around 50, and it appeared to me that most if not all chapters made quota. I have not heard this number from anyone but have seen several chapter pictures with the quote "50 new alphas," or "50 new doves," so my guess is quota is right around that number.

And I do know there have been years in the past at WSU where a good chunk of chapters did not made quota, I believe this happened in 2004 or 2005 if I recall, it was the year when my lil sis in the house was on Panhellenic, so not positive on the year, but I think that it is one of those two years.
I know that AOII HQ posted that the WSU chapter pledged 49 which was quota plus. If that is accurate, quota was 48 or lower.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quota was 48 this year for WSU.