GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,549
2 members and 2,547 guests
JayhawkAOII, Titchou

Old 06-22-2011, 03:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Should I rush/pledge at mizzou?

Hey! I'll be a freshman at mizzou this fall and I think it would be awesome to be in sorority but I don't know if I should even "bother"..

I don't really know the "requirements" to join a sorority but here's some basic info:
In highschool I had a 3.8ish GPA & I was involved in a lot of clubs/activities.
In college I intend to be a Journalism (Pre-Law possibly) major.
I'm not a legacy & I won't be able to get rec letters (I'm from a small town where a lot of people didn't/don't go to college, so I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone who was in sorority)
I'm not a super-bubbly blonde, I'm brunette lol and I'm not saying I'm antisocial or whatever, I was "popular" in high school, but I guess the best way to say it is I'm more reserved with my emotions sometimes? like I don't act SUPER excited/happy/sad over stuff (I'm *not* trying to stereotype sororities, but recently people are telling me that I'm not the "sorority type" so I figured I'd mention it in case I'm really not the type or I will appear "blah"/"boring" to a sorority...)

Thanks a bunch ahead of time to everyone who answers..

ALSO, I'm sorry if you've heard this question a 100000 times (I did look over the other threads, including the one that said recs are required at big xii schools aka mizzou)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcprin View Post
Hey! I'll be a freshman at mizzou this fall and I think it would be awesome to be in sorority but I don't know if I should even "bother"..

I don't really know the "requirements" to join a sorority but here's some basic info:
In highschool I had a 3.8ish GPA & I was involved in a lot of clubs/activities.
In college I intend to be a Journalism (Pre-Law possibly) major.
I'm not a legacy & I won't be able to get rec letters (I'm from a small town where a lot of people didn't/don't go to college, so I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone who was in sorority)
I'm not a super-bubbly blonde, I'm brunette lol and I'm not saying I'm antisocial or whatever, I was "popular" in high school, but I guess the best way to say it is I'm more reserved with my emotions sometimes? like I don't act SUPER excited/happy/sad over stuff (I'm *not* trying to stereotype sororities, but recently people are telling me that I'm not the "sorority type" so I figured I'd mention it in case I'm really not the type or I will appear "blah"/"boring" to a sorority...)

Thanks a bunch ahead of time to everyone who answers..

ALSO, I'm sorry if you've heard this question a 100000 times (I did look over the other threads, including the one that said recs are required at big xii schools aka mizzou)
Please elaborate. What exactly is 'the sorority type?'
Old 06-22-2011, 03:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Please elaborate. What exactly is 'the sorority type?'
Good question, I don't know what they meant exactly
Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/

Sorry, I just had to.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt, she sounds super naive. kcprin, it sounds like "they" don't know what real sorority women are, aside from what "they've" seen on movies and TV. A sorority woman can be anyone. Short, tall, fat, skinny, smart, athletic, nerdy, quiet, blonde, brunette, black, white, green.... it doesn't matter. We are everything. You CAN get yourself recommendations, it just seems like you aren't aware how. Contact the nearest Alumnae Panhellenic group to you.
http://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae-panh...directory.aspx
http://stlpanhellenic.org/
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=167932778292
info@stlpanhellenic.org
https://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae-pan.../advisors.aspx
This is all the info I could find doing a quick Google search for St Louis Alumnae Panhellenic. Do another Google search if there is another group closer to where you live. Ask your high school teachers, church members, etc. You may be surprised at what you can find. Don't say you can't get them without even trying first.
Then create a resume for yourself, highlight all of the awesome things you've done in high school, grades, clubs, work, volunteer, etc. And start doing this now! Don't wait!

Last edited by IrishLake; 06-22-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

kcprin, I sent you a PM. IrishLake gave you some great advice!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Without recs at a competitive school you will have little to no chance of securing a bid.
I would suggest that you read some threads on here about how to get recs and get moving.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

It sounds to me like you're setting yourself up for an unsuccessful rush with an already prepared laundry list of reasons that it's "not your fault" that you had less than desireable results. After all, if you set yourself up with every advantage (recs, grades, clubs, wardrobe) and you don't get a bid, you could come to the conclusion that there might be something "wrong" with YOU, but if you don't set yourself up well, you can just blame the system.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcprin View Post
Certainly your high school teachers went to college.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Sororities like all types of women, from brunettes to blondes, ignore the stereotypes. I thought I was not the sorority 'type' of woman and only went through recruitment to please my mom, turns out I was wrong.

You have plenty of time for recs, they are important but slightly less crucial than at other schools. So start asking around, and contact the nearest alumnae panhellenic.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:27 AM

You sound like you are scared to death of going to a huge school like Mizzou and you want us to tell you to forget it so you don't have to try and fail. We're not going to do that.

The "people" who are telling you you aren't the sorority type (or that you're not the big college type, or that you're too reserved, or any other box they want to put you into) are closed minded jerks who do not have your best interests at heart. The next time they say something like that to you, laugh in their face and say "it's really funny that you think that...I think I'd be great at [insert thing that they are telling you you can't do]."

Contact your alum panhel ASAP and also every teacher you have ever had (including the male ones - they may have met their wives at a fraternity/sorority mixer!). You CAN get recs on your own.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Contact your alum panhel ASAP and also every teacher you have ever had (including the male ones - they may have met their wives at a fraternity/sorority mixer!). You CAN get recs on your own.
I just want to quote this because it's advice we often overlook. Asking the MEN is just as important as asking the women.

(and hopefully you didn't go to a Catholic school)
Old 06-22-2011, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Why?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Um yeah, why?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I think she's thinking that Catholic school means all nuns, no men, no sorority women as teachers. That, or the fact that not all Catholic school require their teachers to have a college degree.