GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,360
2 members and 2,358 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-13-2003, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

"I am somebody," Jesse tells Omega brothers

Jackson addresses fraternity in Mobile

07/12/03
By ROY HOFFMAN
Staff Reporter

The Rev. Jesse L. Jackson -- human rights activist and 1984 presidential candidate -- spoke in Mobile on Friday of "storm clouds rising in Alabama" on voting rights issues, racial discrimination in hiring football coaches, and of what he called "the three July Fourths," only one of which, he said, truly speaks of freedom to black Americans.

During his luncheon address to the leadership conference of Omega Psi Phi, a traditionally black civic and social fraternity, Jackson used a speaking style at turns inspirational and dramatic.

Tall, stately and relaxed in a charcoal shirt, Jackson held sway over the crowd in the Adam's Mark Hotel ballroom for 45 minutes, addressing his 700 fraterni ty brothers in a highlight of the group's three-day leadership conference, "Economic Empowerment Leading to Social & Political Change." Jackson joined the fraternity, founded in 1911, while a student at Agricultural and Technical State University in Greensboro, N.C.

Among those in attendance was James Felder of Columbia, S.C., whom Jackson embraced on his way to the dais and said, in his remarks, had been one of the U.S. Army honor guards to carry President John F. Kennedy's casket. Jackson and Felder met in South Carolina as teenagers, Felder said, playing quarterback on opposing football teams. Felder joined the fraternity while a student at Clark Atlanta University.

The former presidential candidate began his remarks with a litany of ex changes with the audience. After he made each statement -- "I am somebody," "Stop the violence," and "Save the children" -- the sea of balding and silver-haired men repeated the lines in rumbling unison.

Saying that many in attendance were the first in their family to graduate from college, Jackson emphasized the importance of education to "break strong chains." He cited black Americans such as W.E.B. Dubois and Martin Luther King Jr. as exemplars of the power of education. "Those most literate, most learned," he called them, "who did the most to change their condition."

Jackson reminded the luncheon crowd that when King was 19 years old, he was already "middle-aged. He died at 39." He used that reference as a way to exhort the audience to become actively involved in vital issues today.

No issue in Jackson's speech held greater immediacy than a movement to give voting rights to felons who have served their time in the state of Alabama, a proposition put forth by State Rep. Yvonne Kennedy, D-Mobile.

The Alabama Legislative Black Caucus, made up of Democrats, said it had struck a deal with Republican legislative leaders to pass both the felon voting rights legislation supported by Democrats and a GOP-backed measure requiring voters to present identification at the polls. Some Republicans said they agreed only not to kill the felon voting rights bill with a filibuster. At any rate, Republican Gov. Bob Riley vetoed the felon voting rights bill and signed the voter ID bill into law.

"Once people have been to prison and served time," Jackson said, his voice rising in the ballroom, "they should have the right to vote. Taxation without representation is tyranny!"

He exhorted the members of Omega Psi Phi to join forces with his organization, RainbowPUSH Coalition, in a march planned for Friday in Montgomery to dramatize support for returning voting rights to felons who served their sentences.

The measure will affect thousands of possible voters, he said.

"There are more blacks in jail in Alabama than in col lege," Jackson said. Nationwide, he said, there are 600,000 black students in colleges, while 900,000 languish in prison.

Slightly more than 3,000 voters made the difference in Alabama's last gubernatorial election, he reminded the audience.

He argued that society had created a "jail industrial complex -- first-class jails, second-class schools," with the state of Alabama spending money to export convicts to other states, far from their families.

"People say to me," he admitted, "'Reverend, we've got the right to vote. Talk about something else!' David slew Goliath, but Goliath was not a eunuch. He had some boys! What we gained in 1965," he said, speaking of the Voting Rights Act, "is under constant attack."

A comprehensive health care bill and an amendment to ensure equality in education were other missions Jackson spoke of in his luncheon address.

The former high school football player said he had been challenged by Alabamians, black and white, on his criticism of the University of Alabama for not hiring a black football coach. He argued that Green Bay Packers assistant coach Sylvester Croom, who is black, had been better qualified in every regard than Mike Shula, who is white, but that decisions had been made "behind closed doors." Jackson decried the dearth of black football coaches and athletic directors throughout the nation.

The audience interacted with Jackson throughout the speech, calling out, "Come on, brother," or "Come on, frat," as they did when he gave what he called an unusual history lesson on the Fourth of July.

The original Independence Day, in which the colonies declared their freedom from England in 1776, "had nothing to do with us," Jackson explained.

The next Fourth of July of note, July 4, 1852, occurred when Frederick Douglass, an ex-slave and famous abolitionist, gave a speech on what Independence Day meant to a slave. Jackson recounted how Douglass, who had been invited to the White House, said: "'You invited me to speak when you're still selling my people.'"

The third Fourth of July was in 1863, when the Confederate port of Vicksburg fell to the Union Army in Mississippi, while other Union soldiers were sending Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee into retreat after the Battle of Gettysburg 500 miles away in Pennsylvania.

"We won that battle," said Jackson, speaking of the Union Troops' Pennsylvania victory, and President Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

The Emancipation Proclamation had already been given by Lincoln, he reminded the audience, and was enacted Jan. 1 of that year.

"Y'all know your history," Jackson said.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-13-2003, 10:57 PM

Re: "I am somebody," Jesse tells Omega brothers

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
Jackson reminded the luncheon crowd that when King was 19 years old, he was already "middle-aged. He died at 39."
I've never thought of that before, but it's pretty scary
Old 07-13-2003, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Natty Send a message via Yahoo to Natty
Amazing

All I can say is amazing...
I am speechless.
Nat
Old 07-13-2003, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to meridionaleDG
ugh for so many reasons.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to enlightenment06
why ugh?
Old 07-14-2003, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, I'd never been a big supporter of Jesse Jackson. Of course being from SC, I knew people who knew him and my grandmother and other relatives actually grew up with him. However, this past May in Greenville at my college I got to actually meet and listen to Jesse for about 2 hours and I have to say that he's one of the best orators I've heard in a long time. He has a way of captivating the audience black AND white (and there were more whites in that room). He's more than just a talking "mouth." He has a way of getting his point across intelligently showing that there are some changes that still need to be made in this country. People can ignore him, they can ignore what needs to be done, but the problems still won't go away until society "WAKES UP!"
Old 07-14-2003, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree

I had the opportunity to hear him speak while I was a student at Spelman. I am not a big Jackson supporter either, but I believe in giving a person their due. He is a dynamic speaker.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Jessie Jackson

Granted, he is a gifted Orator, charismatic, and acts like he wants to do the best for mankind and "his people".

But from what I a have seen in some of his Oratory, it borders on insurrection!

Just the way I feel! For a man of the People, he lives damn well.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-15-2003, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry, but Jackson and insurrection? I think not. I actually consider him conservative. I guess I think so, because I care about the welfare of "my people" as well. I don't apologize it, and I don't think I should. Who should be responsible for uplifting their people? Who has a vested interest in alleviating the problems that plague their ethnic group? As an educated Black woman, I feel that it is not the government's job to lift my people out of problem and put a band-aid on our problems. It is the responsibility of those of us who have "made" it to lend a hand. Most of us in BGLO's realize that, for that is the purpose of most of our organizations, service.

Also, I have no problem with social activist/politicians who are wealthy.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Jessie Jackson

Granted, he is a gifted Orator, charismatic, and acts like he wants to do the best for mankind and "his people".

But from what I a have seen in some of his Oratory, it borders on insurrection!

Just the way I feel! For a man of the People, he lives damn well.

Ditto! I have met and heard Jesse Jackson and he is indeed captivating and charismatic and he does...sometimes...raise valid points, but he is just too darn liberal for me...
Old 07-15-2003, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Thanks for sharing Hoosier!

Very interesting read...
Old 07-15-2003, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby4538
Honestly, I'd never been a big supporter of Jesse Jackson. Of course being from SC, I knew people who knew him and my grandmother and other relatives actually grew up with him.
Baby, where in Greenville are you from? I'm from G'ville too and it's amazing that a lot of people both black and white from the area do not support him, but they do have a lot of respect for him.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I grew up in Darlington, SC, but attend Furman in Greenville. Jesse and many other civil rights leaders are from a time I don't remember which is why the movement is having such a hard time today. Not to say that it's needed any less, but it's just not as personal as it was 25 years ago. And I'm only 20... I just never gave Jesse much thought before I saw him speak. As for him being too liberal; I think we have more of a problem with ppl in this country being too conservative - but that's just me.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:02 PM

Whether you agree with him or not, the man is one of the most gifted speakers of our time. Maybe of all times.

I directed a candidates debate some years ago on TV, and he really added some comic relief -- but the story is just too long to write here.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

DeltaAlum, while I do agree with you, I do not trust him what so ever.

I do not care what color a person is so dont get in my butt, but I have seen snake oil salesmen of all colors!

A great /Orator/statesman does not make a true person who beleives in the good of the people!

LX Z # 1
Alumni