GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,230
2 members and 1,228 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 05-29-2014, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I've always thought it was cool that our Auburn chapter is the Gamma Phi chapter, but I hadn't ever thought about other sororities' names being used as chapter names. It turns out that our Alpha Phi (Colorado College), Delta Gamma (Nebraska-Omaha), and Delta Zeta (SW Oklahoma St.) chapters have all been inactive for some time, so that's probably why I never considered it before.

I haven't looked at IrishPipes's thread to see if there are chapters of those groups on those campuses. That could actually be an interesting thread...I wonder if there's a jinx?
Old 05-29-2014, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

We have two other chapters that have the same names as NPCs, Alpha Phi at Montana State (pronounced the same) and Alpha Chi at Western KY. Neither has the other sorority on campus or ever did. Our Kappa Delta Chapter will be an oddity in that respect. Hopefully KD and AOII will have a special bond on campus because of it.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Chapter names are used a lot more on some campuses than others. At the universities I attended/worked at, the only time you ever saw chapter names was (sometimes) in the rush booklet. However, I've seen chapter names on items at other schools that seemed to block out the GLO's name. That would be weird for Pi Phi and Sig Ep because of the way we name our chapters-- I can't see wearing a jacket that read "Alabama Gamma" in huge letters with a tiny Pi Phi under it.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Chapter names are used a lot more on some campuses than others. At the universities I attended/worked at, the only time you ever saw chapter names was (sometimes) in the rush booklet. However, I've seen chapter names on items at other schools that seemed to block out the GLO's name. That would be weird for Pi Phi and Sig Ep because of the way we name our chapters-- I can't see wearing a jacket that read "Alabama Gamma" in huge letters with a tiny Pi Phi under it.
My daughter's chapter uses Virginia Theta quite a bit...so much so that when her rec writer received a thank you e-mail from the VP-Membership, with Virginia Theta in the signature line, her first thought was that the rec had been accidentally received by the Theta chapter right next door, instead of the Pi Phi chapter!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:54 PM

AOII's chapter (now closed) at DePauw was designated "Theta" because KAT was founded there.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
AOII's chapter (now closed) at DePauw was designated "Theta" because KAT was founded there.
Never knew that. Love the history behind our chapter names.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-30-2014, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

We have a Delta Nu chapter. That makes me giggle sometimes.

I came from our Theta chapter and we have KAT on our campus. I worked with our Kappa chapter and never have confused it with KKG, who is also on campus.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter uses the chapter name "Epsilon Alpha" or "EA" or "EA Kappa Delta" all the time. Part of that is because the school keeps changing its name - Missouri University of Science and Technology = University of Missouri at Rolla = Missouri School of Mines.