GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,510
2 members and 2,508 guests
babradanry3265, TLLK

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I would always defer to keeping your sorority affiliation to yourself unless it's made clear otherwise. The responses are as likely to be anything from disinterested to ambivalent to repulsed. Yes, there's a chance someone will be impressed, but it's not worth risking being outed as a dork, snob or just oddity just to brag about something from your college days.
I would say you should put your sorority in your job application or grad school application in certain instances. For example, if you are applying for a PR job and you were in charge of your chapter's big philanthropy project that raised $50000 for their cause or if you were applying for a job with an event planner and you were Social Director for a huge SEC chapter, I would put it in there. If you won a scholarship through your sorority that should be in there too.

If you were either consistently dedicated to philanthropy efforts through the organization or were a real leader with the group, it is a distinction, and that could make a difference to someone staring down a stack of resumes.

I have only once seen someone go - "ew - she's a sorority chick" during a job interview, and there were Many, many other clues this was not going to be a good situation on that trip.

I haven't seen being in a sorority hurt anyone career-wise, and I have seen it help with making connections and networking.