GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,876
2 members and 1,874 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 09-03-2015, 08:30 PM

In terms of the number of AIs I have met, I think my numbers are skewed because I have been nationally involved and present at Conventions at which they were initiated, but from my FB friends list I'd say 5?

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Chi has been doing alumna initiation since the beginning. We have a dedicated and structured AI program. The AIs that I've met have been extremely dedicated, which is great to see. The saying goes "It's not four years, it for life" doesn't always seem to hold up for graduating sorority women who never attend an alum or sorority event again, and I think this plagues every NPC sorority. So an enthusiastic alum is a wonderful thing to have.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it is more common than it used to be, but still very difficult. It also seems to depend on who you know among the upper echelon of officers.

Frankly, I don't know why anybody would want to. It's a wholly different experience.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:15 PM

The older I get, the more I think about this.

I was only an active collegian for 2.5 years. I have been an involved alumna in some form or fashion since 2008.

My alumna experience has already outpaced my collegiate years in terms of activity within the sorority (three volunteer roles, two Conventions, two Volunteer Summits, one Officer Academy.)

The collegiate experience may be what brought us all into Sigma, but it is far and away not the centerpiece of my experience within the organization.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I think it is more common than it used to be, but still very difficult. It also seems to depend on who you know among the upper echelon of officers.

Frankly, I don't know why anybody would want to. It's a wholly different experience.

I know of one woman my alumnae chapter nominated; she had gone to a military academy and did not have the opportunity to join in college, but was (is, I presume) good friends with many in the chapter. I know there were plans to initiate her, but I never saw her again after she was introduced at a meeting.

I do know of one woman, a nationally known figure, who contacted DG about joining because she is particularly interested in our Service for Sight philanthropic efforts. She contacted Executive Offices, they contacted well-known women in our chapter (this was my previous alumnae chapter), those women spent several months getting to know her and agreed to perform her "pledge education". A Texan, she was initiated at convention in 2002.

When I was a collegiate, I recall the requirements included not having had the opportunity to join a GLO while in college. I don't know for sure, and didn't find current requirements using a cursory search.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
The older I get, the more I think about this.

I was only an active collegian for 2.5 years. I have been an involved alumna in some form or fashion since 2008.

My alumna experience has already outpaced my collegiate years in terms of activity within the sorority (three volunteer roles, two Conventions, two Volunteer Summits, one Officer Academy.)

The collegiate experience may be what brought us all into Sigma, but it is far and away not the centerpiece of my experience within the organization.
I completely agree, but I've been an alumna volunteer for 27 years this year (since 1988). My alumnae experience has defined me in so many ways- far more than my collegiate experience ever did. The sisters I've met through volunteering have become closer friends than my collegiate sisters. We have been through so much more of life together and they are always completely there for me.