GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha Iota
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,337
3 members and 2,334 guests
Cookiez17, PrettyBoy, zluspitt7200

Old 12-15-2011, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I disappeared for far too long. Finals, the most wonderful time of the year?

@Clarinette: I'm so glad another person likes music history so much! My friends think I am insane (except for another few history minded people). We've only gotten through 1600 so far, but I love it. Next semester we take a break for an overview of ethnomusicology.

These wills sound really interesting. Our high school did a will idea of sorts within the band (my brother joked about passing down his plans for world domination... trumpets). But for something between a sisterhood it sounds amazing!

I have some amazing news I found out yesterday. I was accepted into my school's Fall 2012 Italy Program. I will be studying in Arezzo, Italy for about 90 days! Just practicing my trumpet and more. All three trumpet players that applied got accepted! 2 sisters, and one PMA guy! Now to get the passport and everything else in order. They almost didn't accept me because I have had major ankle problems this year. I'm having reconstructive ankle surgery next Wednesday, but that leaves 8 months to heal! This also means I won't go to the National Convention even though it is in my hometown. Europe is expensive... But it is a once in a lifetime opportunity to study over there with 13 other people from my class!

@unarose: That ornament is such a great idea and really pretty. Better handwriting painting wise then I know I could have ever managed.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Today is Incorporation Day! I hope your days today were musical and at least passable, if not great!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Today was the day we had rush 3 and handed out bids. 12 wonderful girls have made it through. Now to wait and see if they accept. If they do and all of them finish the process, then they will be the size of my class.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

We hand out bids tonight. If all goes well, we'll have 11 girls, which is the size of my original pledge class (one of the girls graduated 2 years before the rest of us). We definitely need a lot of new girls, though; I'll be graduating with 14 other girls in my chapter next year.

Can't wait till Induction!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
My SAI group is submitting our petition for review at the next NEB meeting. Whoop! Of course, there is no guarantee, but just the submission is a long time coming (almost 3 years...)

The local collegiate chapter pledged 22 girls last night. Another yay!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope y'all get full acceptance on bids, SAITrump and clarinette!

Congrats on your alumnae group submitting your petition, AlwaysSAI! (And 22 MITs—that's huge.)

And in my neck of the woods…when we were installed in November, we were surprised to find out that we get to have a new class of girls this semester—we've already had one interest meeting (which I had to miss because it conflicted with my one graduate education class) and the next one is next week on a Monday afternoon. I hope we get some new faces in addition to the ladies we already knew were interested.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

We gave out 11 bids tonight, but we won't know who will be pledging till Friday.

I don't wanna wait!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Our first recruitment will be next month. Meep.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck, SAIchica!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

SAIchica, I have every bit of confidence that y'all will have an amazing recruitment. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I got the name of my little, so I think all of our bids are in. =) I actually got a friend's marching band little! I wonder who will get mine, the sweetest girl ever. Offered to help me however possible because I came back to school this semester after having ankle reconstruction surgery. First doctor's words, "See what marching band does to you!"

To all a good rush/education season! And to many happy faces, friendly faces, and... as I said last night... To poster board, markers, paint, and glitter! Let the crafting... commence!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I get to have another secret little, yay! I just bought a bunch of stuff for my first clue for her.

I can't wait until Monday. Once these girls are initiated in March/April, we'll have 45 actives! We need our chapter to grow, because we have 5 sisters graduating this semester, and then, including me, 12 graduating next year. Our wills and senior words of wisdom will take forever next year.

That's enough about next year; we've still got this semester. What are y'all's favorite (not secret) chapter traditions for MIT's/new girls?

I'll start; each MIT gets a big and a secret big, they perform (voluntarily, we wouldn't make them do this) in a musicale and write a pledge class song, and we have Pre-I, which is when we give them many, many sets of letters to choose from to wear the next night when we go to Steak-N-Shake after initiation.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
During I-week, we had BCHWY week. On Monday, when sisters saw MiTs we would say, "Happy B Day!" and they'd say, "It's not my birthday." and we'd just say it again and smile. Tuesday, was "Happy C Day" and so on. The PMA boys nicknamed it "B*tchy Week", but it was always so much fun.

The year I pledged, we also started a prank war with PMA. We pranked them during Black weekend and they would prank us during MiT retreat. Those nights were the greatest!

We always gathered around after a sister's recital and sang them the Chorale. We also presented them with a bouquet of roses-red or white-after their recital.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

We always do the MIT retreat with a portion of the sisterhood. Last semester it was a sleepover in the music building. We also got some time to work on our recital. This year, because of how tight the schedule is, we will be paying for their meal at a restaurant and only membership will be with them. Just so happened we have a concert or major rehearsal every weekend. Opera year and showcase year...

I loved the recital last year though. Of course we all went to the PM recital about 2 weeks before ours. We made signs and cheered them on as they made fun of us and their bigs. Two weeks later, they came to ours as initiated PMAs. We had written an "Ode to PMA" to the tune of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." Then we also had a birthday celebration at the end, because about 5 or 6 brothers/sisters had had birthdays in a 4 day span. Did I mention we also rewrote the Kappa Rap? It became an SAI/MIT/Chapter rap.

But really... the best part... Meeting in the "dungeon" about two times a night with my fellow class. The dungeon is a room under the stage normally used for practicing. We were secretive and pretended we were actually planning things. Really, it was just a time to get to know everyone and talk about everything. Sometimes meetings ran 9 to midnight... but we had a lot of fun. Apparently each class had done this. Each has met in the dungeon. And to be honest, I realized how much I missed this when I was crafting at a sister's apartment last night. We all agreed we need to get back to this.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I forgot that we also do an MIT retreat! The sisters don't spend much time there, because the VP Mem's place isn't always very large, and we don't want to spend money renting somewhere for a night when there's free places we can stay. It's the night before the test. They'll play a game to help with test questions, then we'll have snacks, they'll make pledge class letters, then usually there's movie watching/sleeping/cramming for the test.