GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,464
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zmaondarko7769
» Online Users: 2,341
3 members and 2,338 guests
oncegreek, Tridentia

Old 11-07-2002, 06:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking You've Been Dissed and Dismissed

**my mom had sent this to me as a forward a few months ago but I "dismissed" it as a hoax, but alas it is true.**

'Rejection hotline' makes for discreet dismissal
11/05/2002 11:10 PM EDT

(LAT) - You're standing by the pool at the hot rooftop bar at the Downtown L.A. Standard hotel, dressed in your lowest-riding jeans, brand-spanking new Manolos, with the perfect Birkin bag. When here he comes.

Obnoxious. Too old. Too loud. Too short. Stuffed into cheap jeans that look like he bought them at a 99 Cents Only store. Mr. Needs-a-Breath-Mint wants your phone number.

Give him the digits - not the real ones, of course. Hand him this number - (310) 217-7638 - and let the rejection hotline handle it.

He'll get the message when instead of hearing your voice he listens to this message: "The person who gave you this number obviously did not want you to have their real number." ***LMAO LMAO LMAO @ the message***

There's more.

"Maybe you're just not this person's type. ... This could mean short, fat, ugly, dumb, annoying, arrogant or just a general loser. Maybe you suffer from bad breath, body odor or even both. Maybe you just give off that creepy, overbearing, psycho-stalker vibe. Maybe the idea of going out with you just seems as appealing as playing leapfrog with unicorns."

The voice belongs to Jeff Goldblatt, a Web consultant and graduate student working on an MBA at Emory University in Atlanta. He's 25, single and swears he's never needed anything like the rejection hotline because he can see the signs and "know when someone's not interested." He answers the rejection hotline (via recorded message) in 14 U.S. cities - Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago, San Francisco, Washington, Denver, Seattle, Cleveland, Boston, Charlotte, Las Vegas, Miami, New Orleans, Indianapolis - and since September, Dublin, Ireland.

Each city averages 50,000 phone calls per month, sometimes at a pace fast enough to crash the hotline. Boston and Charlotte went down in August overloaded by calls from guys getting the brushoff and others who heard about the message and couldn't resist calling.

It started out as a joke last summer after Goldblatt and a group of friends watched "an old, fat, bald guy walking up to a young, attractive blonde girl," he said in a telephone interview from Atlanta. "We kind of looked at each other and said, 'This can't be good.' We watched her shoot him down in a blunt, rude way. She sent him back to his friends with his pride in his hands. That started a discussion about whether it's better to give out a fake phone number because it delays the rejection or does a fake phone number give people hope because they thought they got a digit wrong."

He set up a residential voicemail account that cost $10 a month. He told a few friends, who told a few friends, who e-mailed a few friends, who overwhelmed the line.

He increased the capacity of the service and started expanding to new cities in May. The service arrived in Los Angeles in June.

To get the money he needs to upgrade the system, Goldblatt is in discussions with potential corporate sponsors. He identifies them as a couple of alcoholic beverage companies and a national magazine.

Goldblatt doesn't want anyone to take his rejection hotline too seriously, although he believes the number provides a service. "The rejecter can get someone off their back who is not taking a hint."

The rejectee saves face as he listens in the privacy of his home to this: "Accept the fact that you're rejected. Get over it. And, please do your best to forget about the person who gave you this number because trust us, they've already forgotten about you."
Old 11-07-2002, 08:40 AM
kissy324

Someone sent me an email a few months ago, and gave me a number, in my area, that had the same message. I don't know if people are actually using the number here, but I kept it, and have used it a few times.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ykimber
I seen a story about this on the news about 5 or 6 months ago I thought that it was so funny! I wanted to use it the next time some guy asked for my number but I couldn't remember what it was, now I am going to give it out like there is no tomorrow!
Old 11-14-2002, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

LMAO! That is such a cute idea. I need a number for my area because the guys around here are busted and always trying to hollar at a sista.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
lol...Still love this thread!!!! Kills me.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.jeffgoldblatt.com/
Old 07-02-2003, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
http://www.jeffgoldblatt.com/
OK...ewww at the elephant picture!
Old 07-02-2003, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to enlightenment06
that rejection hotline thing is pretty funny. It was going around my campus a few months ago

*Note: NO. No one gave it to me to be rejected, just in case you were wondering.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Queencece
Oh My.....

Now there is something that I can use without being an outright b****.....because I usually just tell them whats wrong and walk away.

This way...I dont have to be mean. See, there is a way to tactfully do things. Im starting to like this tact thing.

Peace
Q
Old 07-02-2003, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mystique9
This is definitely funny! I rec'd the same email, with a number for my area, and I called it!!! I laughed all day. I have a friend who goes to clubs and actually gives the number out! I would love to see the guys faces when they get the message!!!

Old 07-03-2003, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you still have the number? It will surely come in handy round these parts!