GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,333
Threads: 115,508
Welcome to our newest member, Jordandrose
» Online Users: 1,081
0 members and 1,081 guests
No Members online

Old 04-05-2004, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

T-Shirt Slogan Question

A sorority "XYZ"at my school (intentionally not mentioning its name in Panhel spirit ) had bid night t-shirts which read "Jealousy is a sickness...Get Better Soon! Love, XYZ"

Some people (in various sororities and otherwise) thought this slogan was rather inappropriate, if not hurtful to the girls who had preffed XYZ but had gotten cut, for example.

What do you think?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-05-2004, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I wanted to add XYZ also had cool new member t-shirts which I liked. They were baby tees and on the front had a giant color replica of their sorority's crest and on the back it said "XYZ Couture."
Old 04-05-2004, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

The group was just trying to show of their pride, but I can definitely see how it would come off as being hurtful especially to girls that wanted XYZ but got cut. I'm a little bit confused though. You said that their new member shirts had the crest on them. I thought that for NPC's, new members weren't allowed to wear the crest until after initiation?
Old 04-05-2004, 04:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaisyKLP
The group was just trying to show of their pride, but I can definitely see how it would come off as being hurtful especially to girls that wanted XYZ but got cut. I'm a little bit confused though. You said that their new member shirts had the crest on them. I thought that for NPC's, new members weren't allowed to wear the crest until after initiation?
I think it depends on the sorority or at least I am assuming it does. Greek life, while large & viable at my school, doesn't always comply with the national rules (at least the other orgs don't; my sorority always does ) because we don't have houses and we are fairly autonomous.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:48 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by DaisyKLP
Ditto that. Personally it doesn't bother me, but if I were a PNM that had her heart set out on XYZ, I'd take it pretty hard.

Regarding the crest, each NPC organization has her own policy regarding whether or not the new member can wear the crest/insignia. For Alpha Gamma Delta, only initiated members may wear our Armorial Bearings and our Badge, but NMs are allowed to wear our letters.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:51 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Violets
I think it depends on the sorority or at least I am assuming it does. Greek life, while large & viable at my school, doesn't always comply with the national rules (at least the other orgs don't; my sorority always does ) because we don't have houses and we are fairly autonomous.
I don't get it...

How can a chapter of a national organization be "autonomous" and not comply with national rules?
Old 04-05-2004, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

It's another way of saying "Nobody has corrected them yet"...

Dee
Old 04-05-2004, 09:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
I don't know if it still goes on, but Elon always had really obnoxious qoutes on the back of both bid day and greek week t-shirts. it was a campus culture thing.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaGirl22
yep......I remember tow particularly obnoxious bid day t-shirt as UMD-

1) On the front w/ a cute pic of a little girl "I'm and ABC"
On the back: "And you're not!" ABC Bid Day

2) DE Bid Day "If you weren't there, you weren't invited"
Loved by a Zeta Psi
Old 04-05-2004, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

That was the slogan 2 years ago for one of our sororities for Greek Week. Greek Week shirts tend to be competitive at Elon, and that was one that everyone else on campus was upset they hadn't thought of first. We all definitely have Panhellenic Pride, but things are still competitive for Greek Week, Derby Days, etc.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Here's a slogan froma bid day shirt a sorority on my campus had a year or so ago:

"It's okay to have high standards. We like the view!"

So that means they look down on everyone else I guess?

I hate hate HATE rude bid day shirts. There's no need for them.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I have never seen any "offensive" Bid Day shirts at Auburn- they all tend to be quite cute!

One I remember that I liked was ZTA's from 2001. It has a large crown on it and it said "Queen For a Day, Crowned for Life". I always liked that one!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I honestly don't see anything wrong with any of the slogans that have been mentioned. I think as long as the Bid Day shirts don't DIRECTLY insult another GLO there should be no problem with it. What might be insulting to me, might be cute to you. There is no way to regulate, and there is also no need to.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by Adelphean
I think as long as the Bid Day shirts don't DIRECTLY insult another GLO there should be no problem with it. What might be insulting to me, might be cute to you. There is no way to regulate, and there is also no need to.
I don't think it's insulting to other GLOs either...and I'm sure those shirts are aimed toward the other sororities.

But what about the girls who get cut from rush altogether or the girls who wanted to get into XYZ but didn't and ended up somewhere else? If I were in their position I'd think that slogan's pretty insensitive.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Adelphean
I honestly don't see anything wrong with any of the slogans that have been mentioned. I think as long as the Bid Day shirts don't DIRECTLY insult another GLO there should be no problem with it. What might be insulting to me, might be cute to you. There is no way to regulate, and there is also no need to.
My sentiments exactly

Lakers Nation.