GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,637
2 members and 1,635 guests
gatordeltapgh, Overthinker

Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking Are foreign students recruited into fraternities as well?

I'm Ugandan but studied in the UK all my life, so could be considered British. I love sports and i play ruby and tennis both under 18 A teams at my high school. I'm also really social and always interacting with others no matter who they are and parties are a plus for me. I'm not entirely sure what a GPA is but my predicted grades for A- Level Cambridge are AABB cause I take four A-Levels.

I'm 17 now and I'm looking to apply to US universities, particularly University of Texas Austin. I found out about the Greek system from the websites of some universities and I found it to be a really attractive activity for me, but I'm unsure whether I would be accepted into a fraternity for the following reasons:

-I'm totally new to it
-My mates here said that a lot of the fraternities in the US are very judgmental about family backgrounds, which may affect me cause my parents are wealthy politicians in my home country(Uganda) and receive a lot of media attention there.
-And I'm unsure whether international students are apart of the Greek system

I'd really like the opinion of anyone who knows more about the Greek system than myself(which is basically everyone) ('',) thanks in advance
Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

It will depend on the chapters at each individual campus. On my campus, your background wouldn't be a big deal but I personally don't know enough about the University of Texas-Austin.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

In the Big 10, it wouldn't be a problem. UT might be.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Do yu mean big 10 universities... or chapters?
And what chapters do you think i should look out for?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

She means universities.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau_carlos View Post
I'm Ugandan but studied in the UK all my life, so could be considered British. I love sports and i play ruby and tennis both under 18 A teams at my high school. I'm also really social and always interacting with others no matter who they are and parties are a plus for me. I'm not entirely sure what a GPA is but my predicted grades for A- Level Cambridge are AABB cause I take four A-Levels.

I'm 17 now and I'm looking to apply to US universities, particularly University of Texas Austin. I found out about the Greek system from the websites of some universities and I found it to be a really attractive activity for me, but I'm unsure whether I would be accepted into a fraternity for the following reasons:

-I'm totally new to it
-My mates here said that a lot of the fraternities in the US are very judgmental about family backgrounds, which may affect me cause my parents are wealthy politicians in my home country(Uganda) and receive a lot of media attention there.
-And I'm unsure whether international students are apart of the Greek system

I'd really like the opinion of anyone who knows more about the Greek system than myself(which is basically everyone) ('',) thanks in advance
University of Kentucky?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I went and looked up Big 10, I was absolutely clueless that its a group of states in the US. Thought she meant Harvard, Yale and the other lot of brainy universities lol
Is there any reason why UT might be different? from what i gathered, Greek life is pretty hectic there...
Old 11-10-2008, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I went and looked up Big 10, I was absolutely clueless that its a group of states in the US. Thought she meant Harvard, Yale and the other lot of brainy universities lol
Is there any reason why UT might be different? from what i gathered, Greek life is pretty hectic there...
I wouldn't discount Big 10 schools as non-brainy. Yale and Harvard are Ivy League.

UT is in a very conservative area of the country. You will find this at many SEC schools, as well, where pledge classes are often pre-selected based on what high school you attended or what fraternity your father or grandfather were in.

Last edited by Benzgirl; 11-10-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

lol no sorry, i meant to say United Kingdom.. lol
Old 11-10-2008, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Really? wow its sounds a lot more selective than i thought it would be, but why the fuss over parents and relatives? It would be sad if my getting into a fraternity is based on my family who couldn't careless bout greek life..
Old 11-10-2008, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
lol no sorry, i meant to say United Kingdom.. lol
I knew what you meant. I attended the University of Kentucky and have been chided a few times here for using UK when referring to my alma mater.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
Although Texas is generall conservative, UT is a pretty liberal school and to say that Austin is liberal would be an understatement. UT has an extremely diverse student population and with the high number of fraternities, I wouldn't be surprised if most of them have at least a handful of international students. I know a few are more conservative in their views, but again, there are plenty of options.

I would check out all the fraternities that are recognized on campus and look over their national website and the UT chapters' websites. That will tell you a lot about what types of members they are looking for.

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2008, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

lol i think i'll have a go at my mates wit that one lol
Thanks for the luck gpb1874 and i think research is a good idea since I have no idea what fraternity I would want to join myself.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

As long as the person in question fit our ethos and our attitudes, I'm pretty sure we would kill to have royalty of any country.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 11-10-2008, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Royalty?