GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,033
0 members and 1,033 guests
No Members online

Old 04-15-2004, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy what are my chances?

What are my chances of getting a bid, call-backs/cut off if I am a extension student?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-15-2004, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Depends on the sorority. Many chapters have something in their bylaws about members being regularly matriculated students with a minimum number of units per quarter/semester.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

what is an extention student?
Old 04-15-2004, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

An "Extension" student is usually someone who has not gone through the traditional process of applying to the university. Instead, they take a limited number of courses, which can sometimes (depending on the school) later be applied to a degree if they choose to matriculate. Basically, they get some of the benefits of being a student without having to go through the competitive admissions process.

At my school, it also includes people in the evening degree program and students who want to attend the UW for the summer only (not during the regular academic year). And our Education Outreach/Extension program is also responsible for online courses and the distance education program (correspondance courses).
Old 04-16-2004, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

A extension student is like a transfer student but not quite. She goes to another school, take classes there for a while and then go back to her org. school.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

For my school, it is during the academic year.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gemi3311
A extension student is like a transfer student but not quite. She goes to another school, take classes there for a while and then go back to her org. school.
There are a lot of stories about girls who didn't get the org they wanted at their school, so they transferred to a less competitive school in hopes of getting a bid there and tranferring back to the more prestigious chapter. I'm not saying that this is what you're doing, just that it may be perceived this way. It's not looked upon favorably.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

MTSUGURL, I know what you mean. But actually, it is the other way around. There is only one NPC sorority in my school and they are pretty superificial in ways they choose their PNM: tall, beautiful, and blond. They have been known to turn away PNM even before the first event. I have no interested to be their sister.

I want to transfer but it's too late. So I do this extension and luckily I can stay in for as long as I want =D Since I will be in that other school for a while, I want to do something. I want to meet people, join orgs. My org. school was small so it's limited...the school I'm gonna go to is pretty competitive from what I heard and more opport.

I don't know what kind of sorority(s) or frat(s) they have and my situation may not seem favorable but I'm willing to commit and it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.... ....
Old 04-16-2004, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
Quote:
Originally posted by gemi3311
I'm willing to commit and it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.... ....
I personally think that is the kind of attitude you need to have. If you aren't going through a formal recruitment, then your bid will be more of a case by case than anything else. So hold your head high, let them know of your intention to be a FT member and have fun!!!! Good luck!
Old 04-16-2004, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

You may need to be enrolled full time in order to go through recruitment or be a member of a sorority. Check with the office of Greek Life/Student Activities at the university.

ETA: As a transfer student, but a full-timer, you are eligible to participate in recruitment and greek life. Read the threads on upperclassmen/transfers who have rushed. It is possible to receive a sorority bid as an upperclassmen, although typically at the more competitive Greek schools, there is a preference on freshmen, meaning upperclassmen have less options. This is not a rule, but is the norm at the southern chapters. In the north and west, there is less emphasis on year in school.

Last edited by adpiucf; 04-16-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:17 PM

It was always my understanding that it was an NPC guideline that all PNM's in order to go through recruitment must be a registered full time student at the university they are participating in recruitment. Anyone know differently?
Old 04-16-2004, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I will be registered as a full time student there.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

.....just not a permanent one.....
Old 04-28-2004, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThetaPrincess24
It was always my understanding that it was an NPC guideline that all PNM's in order to go through recruitment must be a registered full time student at the university they are participating in recruitment. Anyone know differently?
I think it's "regularly matriculated according to the definition of matriculation" at the particular university.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I would suggest talking to the Greek Advisor or someone from Pan-hell who might be able to help you out because they'll know the university specifice regulations.