GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,300
1 members and 2,299 guests
navane

Old 11-17-2005, 07:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Discount shopping at a high end district: Good thing or bad thing?

In Toronto today, Winners (owned by the TJ Maxx people in the US) opens its doors in the Bloor-Yorkville area, home to stores like Chanel, Prada and Tiffany. Many people, especially staff at the high end stores aren't too happy about Winners moving in because it sells many of their products at a discount. Do you think this could mean a complete revamp of the area? Would businesses move out? Personally, I have very mixed feelings about this...
Old 11-17-2005, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
In Chicago, a Filene's Basement opened on North Michigan Avenue some years ago, across the street from Water Tower Place and a couple blocks from a lot of high end stores (Louis Vuitton and all the Oak Street designer boutiques). There was more concern about the Victoria's Secret that opened right next door than the Filene's Basement. It hasn't seemed to hurt the business of the other stores. Of course, there's always been a decent mix of things in that area.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Discount shopping at a high end district: Good thing or bad thing?

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
Many people, especially staff at the high end stores aren't too happy about Winners moving in because it sells many of their products at a discount.
This doesn't seem like a legitimate concern. Shoppers who want this season's offerings aren't going to find those lines at the discount shops, and the high end retailers don't keep anything BUT this season in stock.

Honestly, I'm surprised they're not voicing dissent over the soon-to-change clientele in the area. Will Muffy want to shop at Chanel if she has to share the sidewalk with the proletariat and their TJ Maxx bags??
Old 11-17-2005, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Our high-end mall kicked Sear's out because it wasn't "classy" enough. Yet curiously they still have a Claire's. Does it seem like there's a Claire's in every mall, everywhere regardless of how high class or desolate. That's how I knew it was the end of the mall in my old hometown. When you get to the point not even Claire's wants to be in your mall, you've got a problem.
[/Claire's hijack]

I don't really think it's going to matter that much, as those who are "Brand-Name whores" will still go to the botiques, and those who are TJMaxx people will just have one more TJMaxx to go to.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:03 AM

I've NEVER NEVER NEVER seen Prada, Chanel or Tiffany at TJ Maxx/Marshall's/AJ Wright (the same company owns them all). Maybe a stray bottle of one of their perfume that's a hundred years old, but that's about it. So I really don't think they have anything to worry about.

They would have much more of an issue if there was a Prada outlet store next to them. Then again, I think the whole outlet mall craze is pretty played out.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Discount shopping at a high end district: Good thing or bad thing?

Quote:
Originally posted by RedRoseSAI
Will Muffy want to shop at Chanel if she has to share the sidewalk with the proletariat and their TJ Maxx bags??
ROTFLMAO.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Discount shopping at a high end district: Good thing or bad thing?

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
In Toronto today, Winners (owned by the TJ Maxx people in the US) opens its doors in the Bloor-Yorkville area, home to stores like Chanel, Prada and Tiffany. Many people, especially staff at the high end stores aren't too happy about Winners moving in because it sells many of their products at a discount. Do you think this could mean a complete revamp of the area? Would businesses move out? Personally, I have very mixed feelings about this...
I'm not familiar with Winners. TJ Maxx very rarely gets that kind of high end merchandise. When it does it's seasons older so there's no opportunity for an unscrupulous return to a brand name store for a full-price refund.

The staff are a bunch of snobs if they think that way. There's obviously a need for that type of store there or else it wouldn't have been allowed to have that space.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Our high-end mall kicked Sear's out because it wasn't "classy" enough.

HAHAHAHA They recently did this at Stanford.... They kicked out the Disney store, limited, and the toy Store, and classified the MCdonalds with a baby grand piano in the front with that old "moon man character from back in the day playing it and an enclosed child play area.

I don't think it will make a big difference I mean in Union Square we have a Neiman Marcus, Saks, Tiffany's, BCBG, Louis Vuitton, etc... and a DSW down the street, people will, most likely shop where they always shop....
Old 11-17-2005, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Havana
In Chicago, a Filene's Basement opened on North Michigan Avenue some years ago, across the street from Water Tower Place and a couple blocks from a lot of high end stores (Louis Vuitton and all the Oak Street designer boutiques). There was more concern about the Victoria's Secret that opened right next door than the Filene's Basement. It hasn't seemed to hurt the business of the other stores. Of course, there's always been a decent mix of things in that area.
There's a Filene's in Atlanta that is across the street from 2 high-end malls that have Bloomingdale's, Neiman Marcus, Saks, Louis Vuitton, etc. I doesn't seem to hurt business here either.

Like RedRose said, people who want this season's styles will still go to those high-end stores. The people who never purchased items before from those stores and don't care that the clothing is from last season will be the ones shopping at Filene's.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

A Payless shoes opened up on Robson Street, aka Rodeo Drive North, a number of years ago, but did not have a major effect on the area. None of the high end fashion stores moved out - in fact more have moved in.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bcdphie
A Payless shoes opened up on Robson Street, aka Rodeo Drive North, a number of years ago, but did not have a major effect on the area. None of the high end fashion stores moved out - in fact more have moved in.
A Payless Shoes opened on the Magnificent Mile last year, near a bunch of high end fashion stores and fancy hotels. Again, it doesn't seem to hurt those businesses. Obviously you're not going to find the same shoes at Payless that you would at Nordstrom.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Havana
A Payless Shoes opened on the Magnificent Mile last year, near a bunch of high end fashion stores and fancy hotels. Again, it doesn't seem to hurt those businesses. Obviously you're not going to find the same shoes at Payless that you would at Nordstrom.

Really? Where is it?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

It's on Michigan near Hubbard. Across from Tribune Tower, next to Starbucks.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I've NEVER NEVER NEVER seen Prada, Chanel or Tiffany at TJ Maxx/Marshall's/AJ Wright (the same company owns them all). Maybe a stray bottle of one of their perfume that's a hundred years old, but that's about it. So I really don't think they have anything to worry about.
Exactly. I worked at TJ Maxx for 3 years and still shop there often. There could MAYBE be a bottle of perfume there, but probably not. They get in some past season Dooney & Bourke purses, but that's about it.

And again, it's not like they're selling the current season's stuff.

Further, if those companies don't want TJ Maxx or other similar stores selling their stuff, then they shouldn't be selling it to them when it's out of season. It's not like TJMaxx steals the stuff off the back of the Prada truck, lol.

I know tons of very rich people who are total snobs, but LOVE shopping at TJ Maxx for the homegoods section- you can find some unique stuff.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with what everyone else is saying. I think the high-end stores and the discount stores have different clientele and having these stores on the same street is not going to cause customers from the high-end stores to go to the discount stores. I think if the high-end stores are saying they're afraid of losing business to the discount stores, it's probably a lame excuse to cover up what they're really thinking. Like RedRoseSAI said, they're probably feeling like there goes the neighborhood now the proletariat have moved in.

PSimissU