GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,403
1 members and 2,402 guests
Xidelt

Old 10-30-2014, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Tips for keeping up with schoolwork

I'm a new initiate this semester and I feel like I am always behind in my classes from trying to keep up with my responsibilities at the house too. Can anyone help me out from past experiences with trying to keep up with classes?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-01-2014, 12:05 AM

Time management is a valuable skill. My sorority and the Society of Women Engineers student section at my school both offered time management classes.

Long story short: There are 168 hours in a week. Carve out 56 of those hours for sleep, then X number of hours for lectures, recitation, lab, problem sets, essays, group studies, etc., Y number of hours for required fraternity activities including chapter meetings, philanthropy activities, recruitment activities, etc., and Z number of hours for a part-time job if you have one. The remaining time is yours to spend as you choose - join a club, play on a varsity or intramural team, spend time with a significant other, go for a jog, sleep in, whatever.

Part of the application process for my chosen university was an interview with an alum. The alumna with whom I interviewed told me straight up: "Classes, sleep, friends - pick any two." I managed to juggle all three, but not everyone can.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

One of the best time management tips I received before grad school was to focus on the 3-5 most important things you need to do in any given day, and focus on those first.

Most of us make to-do lists with lots of small BS on them that we can feel good about crossing out. Instead, make a list every night of the most important couple of things you need to get done in the next day. That way, you don't waste any mental energy thinking about what you need to get done when you have a spare minute. Do these things before anything else!

The other thing that really worked for me as an undergrad was the quarter that I had a job as a hostess at a restaurant that was basically only busy for 2 of the 5 hour shift. I had to stay at the hostess stand, but I was allowed to keep a schoolbook there with me. I was soooo bored most of the shift that I happily did my school reading, and one shift got through 3 acts of a Shakespeare play. Moral of the story: put yourself in situations where you have nothing to do but study for a set block of time - no phone, no internet, no talking.