GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,911
4 members and 1,907 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman

Old 09-14-2014, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

AI is membership selection. Isn't that privately up to the members of each organization?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
FYP.

I think we'd all be a little less stabby if she wanted to pursue AI someplace where sorority affiliation isn't going to do squat for her socially.

On another note: when did this STEM acronym become a thing? If you studied biology, say you studied biology. If you studied engineering, say you studied engineering. It bugs.

You have no idea how close I came to saying, "bless your heart" for that very reason.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
AI is membership selection. Isn't that privately up to the members of each organization?
Yes.

ETA: agree with 33's stabby explanation. Consider the contrast: "what can AI do for me" versus "you've done so much for ______ , we would like to extend membership to you/invite you to become a member of our organization".
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 09-14-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Why would we need one on AI? In the first place, you aren't an NPC member so I doubt you know much of the history and/or purpose of UAs. Not everything is covered by UAs. And I can't really imagine what a need might be for one to cover AI...there might be but at this point, I don't see it. Not trying to be snarky at all. It just isn't something at this point that begs the need for an AI UA. The current ones pretty much cover all that would be of need/interest
i think you're completely missing Sen's point, which is: If there isn't a UA, then
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Speak for your own organization's policy, not the other 25.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

If the JL and city social structure are as closed as described, it is not at all clear to me that AI will open the social network for the OP as she hopes.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Banned

Perhaps NPC GCers need to rethink how much information they are willing to provide on GC. It can be confusing when people read you all type so much detail on certain topics and then get silent or antsy on other topics. Maybe it makes more sense to ask people to speak to someone in real life or check out official websites. Then these people can trust they are getting reliable and verifiable information; and people can have a more consistent understanding of what topics are and are not discussed on GC.

I'm just sayin'....
Old 09-14-2014, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, there's probably some ground between the haphazard sharing of the NPC and the oddly silent (in my opinion) stance of the NPHC.

The problem is it's not consistent across the board, except for the fact that in most cases women seeking AI would have to be disappointed once they went through the process. It just seems that no matter how many times we say it, women don't get that alumnae membership is just not the same as collegiate membership.

But you're right that if a woman is interested in AI in a particular NPC sorority, she should find a member in real life, or via private message here, and ask a specific question. A woman seeking AI into Chi O in Arkansas is going to get a much different answer than a, say, DPhiE in California. Which of course is in no way saying she would have a better chance into one versus the other. Just that the dynamics would be different.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
oddly silent (in my opinion) stance of the NPHC.
I weep for the day a Delta collegiate or alumnae aspirant gets most of her information from a GLO message board when she walks by Deltas everyday or (the same way she found Greekchat) has access to official means to contact Deltas.

Quote:
The problem is it's not consistent across the board....

But you're right that if a woman is interested in AI in a particular NPC sorority, she should find a member in real life, or via private message here, and ask a specific question.

Also, are there national, regional, and chapter websites with information or at least official contact information?

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-14-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, there's probably some ground between the haphazard sharing of the NPC and the oddly silent (in my opinion) stance of the NPHC.
There are a few reasons that we are silent. It's not really a "stance." The only questions that we can answer are explicitly listed on our websites or other resources. So frankly, if there is a general question, an interest should have already done the footwork to find the answers because they are available. If it is a question about a local chapter/situation then it should be referred to said members of that chapter. Why? If an individual doesn't know any members of said chapter of interest then I'd assume they aren't really trying to be in said chapter/organization. Why should members vouch for someone who they don't know? I can't help interests on GC.

I apologize for the hijack...I'm just saying real life interaction/research seems to be the best suggestion, whether it gets the OP to her goal or not.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
Why should members vouch for someone who they don't know?
This is why I still can't get behind the idea of recs in NPC recruitment 100%. But that's a different discussion for a different thread

@~/~~~~
Old 09-15-2014, 01:03 AM
Banned

(Some NPHC GLOs have requested silence on membership questions if the source is unofficial or not authorized by the NPHC GLO.)

There are times where GC NPHC GLO members will politely respond to a thread. But, only in certain circumstances will GC NPHC GLO members keep a thread active or private message the person.

There are also NPHCers who interact with aspirants outside of GC including other Internet sites. Typing to someone whose membership is more easily verified is more credible than typing to usernames on a Greek message board. This is with the understanding that an aspirant's (or NPHC GLO member who has a question) experience will only be based on official information obtained from an official NPHC GLO website or from NPHC GLO members who are familiar with an aspirant's specific chapter of interest, specific circumstances, and specific NPHC GLO policies and procedures.

Aspirants who try to go based on the advice of usernames on Greekchat for certain topics will be disappointed and brought back to reality.

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-15-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
(Some NPHC GLOs have requested silence on membership questions if the source is unofficial or not authorized by the NPHC GLO.)

There are times where GC NPHC GLO members will politely respond to a thread. But, only in certain circumstances will GC NPHC GLO members keep a thread active or private message the person.

There are also NPHCers who interact with aspirants outside of GC including other Internet sites. Typing to someone whose membership is more easily verified is more credible than typing to usernames on a Greek message board. This is with the understanding that an aspirant's (or NPHC GLO member who has a question) experience will only be based on official information obtained from an official NPHC GLO website or from NPHC GLO members who are familiar with an aspirant's specific chapter of interest, specific circumstances, and specific NPHC GLO policies and procedures.

Aspirants who try to go based on the advice of usernames on Greekchat for certain topics will be disappointed and brought back to reality.
And yes...all this too!!!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Also, are there national, regional, and chapter websites with information or at least official contact information?
For some groups there are, and for some groups there aren't. That's part of the problem. All collegiate chapters of all 26 NPC groups rush and extend bids in some fashion. If they didn't they would cease to exist. However, all groups don't do AI, and of the ones that do, it can vary from place to place. Some groups require backing of/affiliation with an alumnae club or chapter, some don't.

Last edited by 33girl; 09-15-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Sen, that's why I used such words as "usually", "typically", etc. Please pay attention.

And I didn't draw any comparisions to NPHC groups as I know they work differently than NPC groups. The OP is interested only in NPC groups so there would be no reason to talk about NPHC.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Sen, that's why I used such words as "usually", "typically", etc. Please pay attention.
No, you didn't and you haven't. You think you have, but bless your heart anyway.