GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 930
1 members and 929 guests
No Members online

Old 08-04-2004, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I posted this elsewhere, but figured it might go well here too.

A good friend of mine loves to tell the story of her first rush party. She was very eager and right up in the front. Little did she know that the group would *throw open the door* and coming running at the PNMs singing, clapping and way too perky. She screamed in shock (horror?) and turned to run and ran smack dab into the rest of her rush group.

Thanks sageofages. I've edited due to my happy fingers.

Last edited by TSteven; 08-04-2004 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
A story so nice...you had to tell it twice
Old 08-15-2010, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I burst out laughing when I read the OP's story. That must have been awful!

My (biological) little sister had an awkward moment when she mixed up Phi Mu and Alpha Phi at Phi Mu's party. She and her Phi Mu rusher were talking about going abroad and she enthusiastically asked how many Alpha Phis went abroad every year. She said her rusher looked really uncomfortable and said, "Um, I don't know..." then changed the subject. She didn't realize she had mixed them up until later in the conversation and she tried to explain, but they never quite got back on track. She was surprised to be invited back for the next round but ultimately didn't pledge there.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
I burst out laughing when I read the OP's story. That must have been awful!

My (biological) little sister had an awkward moment when she mixed up Phi Mu and Alpha Phi at Phi Mu's party. She and her Phi Mu rusher were talking about going abroad and she enthusiastically asked how many Alpha Phis went abroad every year. She said her rusher looked really uncomfortable and said, "Um, I don't know..." then changed the subject. She didn't realize she had mixed them up until later in the conversation and she tried to explain, but they never quite got back on track. She was surprised to be invited back for the next round but ultimately didn't pledge there.
Whoops! Oh well...she ended up in the right chapter in the end.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

This should have been embarrassing for the PNM but somehow wasn't.

We had to sit on the floor for round 2, and we had a lot more girls than we were expecting, so it was really close quarters. All the girls are wearing cute knee-length dresses (so are we), and as they come in and sit down, they tuck their knees under themselves. Then my PNM comes in with no makeup, a short jean skirt, and a pair of black tights, and she sits down CROSS-LEGGED and there is a HUGE hole in her tights -literally the whole crotch is ripped- and she's wearing WHITE underwear. There's no way to not notice it, but of course I have to pretend like everything's normal. So I'm trying to talk to her, and she's kind of picking at her (uncombed hair). She finally cuts me off mid-sentence and says, "Do you think I should wash my hair sometimes?"
I have never been so glad in my life to be bumped.

Needless to say, she was not invited back. I don't think she pledged anywhere.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBaby View Post

We had to sit on the floor for round 2, and we had a lot more girls than we were expecting, so it was really close quarters. All the girls are wearing cute knee-length dresses (so are we), and as they come in and sit down, they tuck their knees under themselves. Then my PNM comes in with no makeup, a short jean skirt, and a pair of black tights, and she sits down CROSS-LEGGED and there is a HUGE hole in her tights -literally the whole crotch is ripped- and she's wearing WHITE underwear. There's no way to not notice it, but of course I have to pretend like everything's normal. So I'm trying to talk to her, and she's kind of picking at her (uncombed hair). She finally cuts me off mid-sentence and says, "Do you think I should wash my hair sometimes?"

Sounds like a set-up.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Sounds like a set-up.
I thought so, too, but a couple of my friends from other sororities mentioned her for the exact same reason. She was just really weird.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBaby View Post

That HAD to be intentional...hopefully lol.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

My first recruitment as a Sister had so many interesting issues.

I had to jump out of the way to avoid while still catching a young woman who projectile vomited all over the entrance of our party on the first night of recruitment. I felt bad for the poor girl and carried her right over to the Rho Gamma to take her to the bathroom across the hall. It completely ruined the party because a group of sisters and advisors rushed over to start cleaning up.

We are the perennial chapter who struggles in formal recruitment, so after it happened, me and one of my chapter sisters were like, "Really? We induce vomiting?" Definitely put a damper on recruitment, lol. We actually did decent that year - just one short of quota.

Now, the girl who talked about how much she loved chicken wings is a story for another day...
Old 06-21-2015, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbiomajor View Post
Okay...this happened to one of my sisters this year, and I still crack up thinking about it! We were all wearing white t-shirts for our first rounds, and one of my sisters went up to a group of sisters. (we have 50 women in the suite, and only about 20 prospectives going through each party, so sometimes small groups stand together so we don't overwhelm the guests...anyway)She wrapped her arms around one of them and exclaimed "I am sweating like a beast!" only to discover that the woman was a guest wearing a white shirt and talking to a couple of sisters! The woman never came back to second rounds...we'll always wonder!

Hahahahaha!!!!!

True and Constant
Old 07-26-2015, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping this one!

ΑΓΔ
Old 05-22-2016, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

I have loved this thread for years!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I'm with my Pi Phi daughter for graduation week...we both just got a huge laugh out of the Pi Phi/Wishbone TV show story (she loved that show when she was little).

I haven't seen this thread before...thanks for the bump!
Old 05-22-2016, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Now that I'm graduated I feel like I can share!

During recruitment one year, a PNM apparently asked an active during our third round parties what color shorts to wear to match her Bid Day t-shirt from us. I don't know if she ended up joining us or not but I'm hoping the answer is no.

We also had a PNM display her "talent" as she called it up picking things up with her feet by taking off her flip-flop, dropping her napkin from the drink cups we'd passed out on the floor and then picking it up with her toes. It was bold, I'll give her that.

I mostly just feel bad for these girls because they quickly became the stories of our chapter. I hope they found other homes!
Old 05-23-2016, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Now that I'm graduated I feel like I can share!

During recruitment one year, a PNM apparently asked an active during our third round parties what color shorts to wear to match her Bid Day t-shirt from us. I don't know if she ended up joining us or not but I'm hoping the answer is no.

We also had a PNM display her "talent" as she called it up picking things up with her feet by taking off her flip-flop, dropping her napkin from the drink cups we'd passed out on the floor and then picking it up with her toes. It was bold, I'll give her that.

I mostly just feel bad for these girls because they quickly became the stories of our chapter. I hope they found other homes!
As a ballet dancer, I would just chalk it up to her doing strength exercises for her feet haha (I forgot that not everyone spends 10-15 minutes a day on foot strength...) I enjoy the hutzpah of the first PNM, but I would have just said "None"