GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,385
2 members and 1,383 guests
KDKells, Xidelt

Old 07-29-2004, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

A note to the Florida PNM's

Just a word about the Florida schools' sorority recruitment, as I know we have a few Florida students on the boards.

1) Please contact your university's office of student activities or Greek Life to get the 4-1-1 on Greek Life at your university, including any questions you have about recruitment. Don't take Greek Chat as gospel. We're just giving you our opinions, based on our experiences at various schools, some of which are Florida schools.

2) Recs. Some of the Florida universities have huge numbers of PNM's going through recruitment, and others don't. It doesn't hurt to get a recommendation from an alum for each sorority at your campus. We have a thread in the Rush forum where you can contact alumnae. It is titled "Recommendations." That being said, ONE RECOMMENDATION PER SORORITY IS SUFFICIENT FOR PNM'S GOING THROUGH RECRUITMENT AT A FLORIDA SCHOOL. Six recs to one sorority do not do any more to improve your chances at that sorority. It just creates unnecessary paperwork for the sorority.

3) Attire. Dress classy, and wear stylish but comfortable shoes. Strapless sun dresses are fine, but not if your boobs are bursting out. Bring a cardigan or shawl if you go strapless -- the icy cold A/C in the houses will make you wish you were outside in the sun! Keep your make-up minimal and wear waterproof mascara. The Florida sun in August is relentless. Wear sunscreen and bring blotting papers to absorb face oil and bring water to drink. Lip gloss is your friend! Silicon styling products (like Frizz-Ease, available at any drugstore, target, etc...) for your hair will minimize frizz. Bring a discrete hair tie and a comb for fix-ups and a little mirror. Your recruitment counselor will hold these things for you as you go into each house. Yes, your makeup will melt, so keep everything in individual plastic baggies. Again, minimal makeup=less melting. It's also a good idea to carry listerine disolvable breath strips, because you're going to be talking to lots of people. Don't wear a watch; you will be tempted to check the time and it looks like you aren't interested. Florida schools also have tried to go to a "no frills" recruitment, meaning your dress is more casual. With this in mind, you can never be too dressed up. If the attire calls for denim shorts, wear khaki. Better yet, wear a sundress. You will stand out, and look classier and more polished. You might also bring a pair of flip flops to walk down the street in, and your "dress shoes" for right before you go into the houses. Don't bring a purse or cell phone into the houses. Your Recruitment Counselor will guard everything!!! Another word on clothes: the "Ann Talor" and "Banana Republic" look is a great way to define classy. You can duplicate these styles at those stores, as well as find similar, less expensive clothes of that sort at a dept store, Old Navy, Gap, etc... (Florida is also the home of the Outlet Malls, so take advantage!)

4) Conversation. You will be asked the same questions over and over again through the week. Be gracious, smile and go into this experience to make new friends. Do your "homework" by looking at the chapter and national websites to learn a little more about the sororities. This way, you can ask them questions about their programs (good questions to ask are about their social events, charities, why the sister you are talking to chose to join XYZ, etc.) Avoid controversial topics like politics, religion and drugs/sex/alcohol, just as you would with any first impression interview or meeting. Talk about your summer, your hobbies, majors, school spirit, sorority life, etc. As you meet new people, try to find something in common with each person you speak with (even if that something in common is your favorite TV show or your travels to the Bahamas). Don't allow other PNM's perceptions of sororities cloud your judgement and vice versa. Keep your opinions to yourself when it comes to talking to PNMs about perceptions of the houses, but do talk about them with your recruitment counselor. Don't ever bash any sorority to a PNM, sister or recruitment counselor. It could come back to haunt you. Keep a little notebook and record your observations at night. It will help you keep everything straight in your head as you get closer to Bid Day. Also, don't discount any of the houses. Keep your options open. With houses filled with about 70-180 women, you could well fit in at any of them! Don't be a drama queen and pout like a 4 year old if your perceived top house cuts you. There are other options.

5) Refreshments. Most of the houses will offer water or soda. Always accept. Sip, but don't guzzle, and yes, if you have to go to the bathroom, try to hold it until you have a break in the day. Why? You have a limited opportunity to meet these women, and the time you spend in the bathroom is time you could be meeting more people. Sounds absurd, but there are 1000 other women competing for the same spot in the house. Others may argue with my assessment of this very silly notion, and so be it. This is just my advice. The parties are brief, and there are a lot of people to meet.

6) Carry yourself like a classy lady. When you are out in public in the days leading up to recruitment and in the evenings after recruitment events, act like a lady. Word travels quickly on the Greek Grapevine.

7) Post-recruitment. Get involved on campus! The Florida schools have tons of great activities to be a part of. Sorority Life is just one of these ways to meet friends. Try to have a life outside of the sorority. You will meet more people who could be future sisters, too, and you will have another great hobby to enjoy!

Florida sorority women, feel free to chime in!

Last edited by adpiucf; 07-29-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Excellent Advice!

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SSmith15
I think it's great advice! I go to a private school in Florida, but even though we dont have a huge Greek system (four sororities) Recruitment is very competitive due to the large number of women who go through.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Wonderful advice!!! I know it would fit perfectly for many schools (like UGA!).
Old 07-29-2004, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I think all the Florida schools rush in August - I know FSU and UF do - so be prepared for rain! Not just umbrellas, but clothes that will hold up, shoes that won't bleed colors all over your feet, waterproof mascara, hair that you can fix if it melts, etc. Also be prepared for the schedule of parties to be altered in case of thunderstorms.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Amen on the umbrellas. You're going to need them anyway if you're living in Florida.

And I'm not talking the little teeny ones. You need a big friggin golf umbrella (with the hurricane proofing so it doesn't flip inside out). One of those little ones will protect your hair and that's about it. The rest of you will be soaked.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 07-29-2004, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Also depending on the Florida school, try to get recs from girls who where in the chapters at that particular school. I know at UF this is true, they hold more weight than recs from other members. And I know this isnt the way it should be but it is in some chapters.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ztabchbum Send a message via Yahoo to ztabchbum
FYI - Recruitment at Stetson University will take place in October (as it does every year) and it will be the weekend AFTER Fall Break. Fall break will be October 11-12 so I believe Recruitment will start on Thursday, October 14th. Registration for recruitment will begin in September (most likely). Keep an eye out for flyers and banners in the CUB.

ETA: October in Florida is still VERY warm and hurricane season so watch the weather and bring a small umbrella just in case. I remember my sophmore year feeling so bad for the girls going through rush during hurricane floyd - not fun.

Also, I know someone mentioned bringing a change of shoes. This is NOT needed at Stetson - all the houses are right next to each other - you won't be walking hardly at all.

Last edited by ztabchbum; 07-29-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:39 PM

One more bit of advice on what to bring with you to recruitment: deoderant and body spray. It is hot and you will get sweaty which means by the end of the day you will be smelly. Especially at the big Florida schools where you could be visiting up to 10 sororities in one day (like UCF). Most Rho Gamma will give you a big plastic bag; you can keep your deoderant in there to reapply before parties. Bring body spray to give yourself an extra spritz. DO NOT WEAR PERFUME. The scent is way too overwhelming and when you're crowded into a house with a bunch of girls your perfume could be almost suffocating to those around you.

Bring a small snack to munch on between parties. It's a long day and Panhellenic doesn't have enough money to feed you (bad joke...but, in a way, it's true). After going to a bunch of parties, sitting out in the sun, and talking to a bunch of girls all day, you will have zero energy. Bring some Goldfish Crackers or Pretzels; basically, a snack that won't leave you with offensive breath and chunks of food in your teeth. Please, please, please bring something. The year that I rushed (and I'm sure adpiucf remembers this) parties got held up for an hour because a girl passed out due to being famished. All the PNMs and Rho Chis got to sit out in the blazing sun while the Paramedics came to rescue her. Not fun.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy Scmoly ... what a gauntlet ... all this talk about the heat is making me sweat! Just a thought ... I don't know what they are called, but there is stuff you can buy in drugstores (I think) that you break open and they are like instant ice. Meant for a sports injury, but it occurs to me that they could really come in handy here when you need to cool down really quick. Crack it open and put it on the back of your neck and other pulse points. Could keep you from getting "dewey" ... Jeesh ... didn't know you needed a strategy just to stay dry and literally not stink at recruitment! Ha!

GOOD LUCK ALL YOU FLORIDA GIRLS !!!!!

J.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to FireLily0
USF Recruitment

Well, since USF just got houses last year, Panhellenic decided to have it outdoors by the houses (they looked great). But August in Florida is horrible and all the PNMs including myself suffered greatly. I know this year we are going to minimize the sweating by moving the first day indoors. Not really sure about the rest of the days, but I know everything is going to be in the houses. They said something about fans and tents last year. Just make sure to bring some nice spray, an umbrella (for shade), water, towel, and make up. Good luck girls.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

No rec's NEEDED for USF. That doesn't mean don't get them if you can.
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, I didn't see it. But along the same lines as perfume, if you smoke Please wait until the end of the day. Don't go into to parties reaking of cigarette smoke!
Old 07-29-2004, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UFgirl
UF

just a small note about uf recruitment:

you can and most probably will bring a purse or bag with all your stuff in it, and it is a tradition at uf that the sorority women take your bag and hold it for you during each round. don't be weirded out. EVERY chapter does this. your pi chi will not hold your bag for you during the round. just make sure your cell phone is off or on silent because there's nothing worse than having a pnm's cell ring or vibrate while i was holding her bag. totally distracting.

edited to add: and i totally forgot...you'll get a book called "the key to the greeks" with all kinds of information on all the chapters and greek life in general and places to write about each chapter after each round. your pi chi's will remind you after each round to fill it out, and i strongly recommend it...you'll need it later! just remember to put a pen in your purse so you can write your comments.

Last edited by UFgirl; 07-29-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, just for clarification, are all rounds at UF inside the houses? I know you have to wait outside but you do go in right (fingers crossed)!

-Jessica
Old 07-30-2004, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HappyGoLucky
OK, just for clarification, are all rounds at UF inside the houses? I know you have to wait outside but you do go in right (fingers crossed)!

-Jessica

yes they are all inside. but get prepared to do a lot of waiting outside