GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,712
1 members and 2,711 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-16-2012, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Free Glitter and Gaga for the 99%?
*fingers crossed*

The 1% doesn't get it because they were not born this way.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-16-2012, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatausc View Post
I wouldn't be too happy about homosexuals being openly admitted into my chapter.
Yikes.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So let me get this right, (not doubting your 30+ years of familiarity with UNC greek life), since Texas A & M and Missouri will be entering into the SEC, by your logic, their Greek Life will change. Since it is now, an SEC school.
Your logic does not resemble our earth logic.

Logic would say that SEC Greek life (by which, in a context like this, is meant the kind of Greek life one finds, or rightly or wrongly assumes one will find, at the schools long-associated with the SEC) will now be less susceptible to blanket generalizations.

Quote:
I used Texas and SC as examples because they are both states that are predominantly conservative. SC being very conservative. But North Carolina is also a very conservative state, is it not? So, just based on that, I would say the Greek Life at NC overall carries a conservative view, which would mean extending a bid to a homosexual PNM is out of the question.
Ah, we come to the crux of your problem. (Well, one of them anyway.) No, North Carolina is not a "very conservative state." I'm not saying it's the Massachusetts of the South, but compared to other Southern states, North Carolina is not "very" conservative. And it's been a long time since anyone described UNC as conservative. Usually, it's accused of being more liberal than the rest of the state, which on the whole would probably be classified as moderate.

I'm certainly not saying that UNC, like North Carolina in general, doesn't have its conservatives -- of course it does. Nor am I saying that more conservative views can't be found in the Greek System at UNC. Of course they can, which is why I originally said what I said about the OP's question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Seriously though, my hunch is that some chapters will be comfortable with it, others maybe not as much.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
*fingers crossed*

The 1% doesn't get it because they were not born this way.
Not gonna lie - this prospect excites me more than it should anyone over the age of 15, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. *GLITTER*!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

What a quick transition to an all out trainwreck! Love the claims of expertise about the South by someone who has clearly NEVER been to a southern state. SMH.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
What a quick transition to an all out trainwreck! Love the claims of expertise about the South by someone who has clearly NEVER been to a southern state. SMH.
Clearly. That statement is as ludicrous as me saying NC is conservative. As far as I can tell, unless you have some great expertise that even the history books don't have, South Carolina is in the South. 21 years of being in a southern state. Now maybe you don't think South Carolina is a southern state. Or maybe you think its not "very" conservative. Or maybe you don't think it was the first to secede, or maybe you think it doesn't possess anti-civil union bylaws. Who knows. I love the claims about knowing that someone has clearly NEVER been to a southern state. SMH...
Old 01-16-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
a) LOL at "decent greek wise with as much tradition as any SEC school." Lots of schools are "decent greekwise" and have lots of tradition and are still different from SEC schools.
Quote:
I stand by my assessment that schools outside of the SEC can have large, tradition based, very conservative Greek Life Communities.
I'm confused. Aren't you guys agreeing?

And yes, when big schools change athletic conferences, the makeup of the school does change. It definitely happened at Penn State.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
or maybe you think it doesn't possess anti-civil union bylaws.
And that will be right. If you are going to sound like a pompous ass you should at least know what you are talking about.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
And that will be right. If you are going to sound like a pompous ass you should at least know what you are talking about.
Absolutely right, that would be unconstitutional wouldn't it. Correction, the state of SC will not recognize a civil union as a marriage. I can't believe SC thinks marriage is between a man and a woman, how ridiculous.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Marriage=/= civil union. But my point was that states do not have bylaws. And you want to talk unconstitutional? States that won't recognize marriages from other states.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Absolutely right, that would be unconstitutional wouldn't it. Correction, the state of SC will not recognize a civil union as a marriage. I can't believe SC thinks marriage is between a man and a woman, how ridiculous.
His point is that when you said this:
Quote:
. . . or maybe you think it doesn't possess anti-civil union bylaws.
you show you don't really know what you're talking about. South Carolina doesn't have any bylaws. In this country, only organizations have bylaws.

South Carolina has a constitutional provision that says the state doesn't recognize same-sex marriages or civil unions.

Glad the education is working out for you.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Clearly. That statement is as ludicrous as me saying NC is conservative. As far as I can tell, unless you have some great expertise that even the history books don't have, South Carolina is in the South. 21 years of being in a southern state. Now maybe you don't think South Carolina is a southern state. Or maybe you think its not "very" conservative. Or maybe you don't think it was the first to secede, or maybe you think it doesn't possess anti-civil union bylaws. Who knows. I love the claims about knowing that someone has clearly NEVER been to a southern state. SMH...
Sir, you can regurgitate a list of southern states and a probable list of fraternities that may be popular at universities in those states, but that does not in any way make you an expert on the South. We can't be defined by a sum of our parts. I take it now that I read your name wrong and you're not from Southern California. I apologize for assuming otherwise, but I got you mixed up with the guy asking Alpha Phi to colonize at CSU-LA. You may know South Carolina, but what else do you know. I barely count USC as SEC anyway since it's not an original member so I don't count your opinion of what an "SEC" school would be like. Non-SEC southern schools are not all the same. Thank God. Have your own opinion, but realize that when people say that they KNOW gay men in southern fraternities...they know something that obviously you don't.

AOII

Old 01-17-2012, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Let me chime in right here... I was born and reared in Mississippi, I am an openly gay man in a fraternity, in Mississippi (which is probably the most conservative state in the USA). Although I'm not at a SEC school now I was at Mississippi State (before I transferred). At State, I was openly gay and was offered a bid by several (4) fraternities.... Sigma Nu, Kappa Alpha, SAE and Sigma Chi. Also, I would not have been the first openly gay guy on frat row....in addition to who knows how many closeted guys.

So, alphatausc, please get off your high horse as you do not speak for everyone in the south and are simply spewing your own bigoted hate. Also, it's that type of hate that hurts your brothers, because maybe they're gay and aren't comfortable with their sexuality yet, or they're not simply because they hear that from you all the time.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCookMS View Post
Let me chime in right here... I was born and reared in Mississippi, I am an openly gay man in a fraternity, in Mississippi (which is probably the most conservative state in the USA). Although I'm not at a SEC school now I was at Mississippi State (before I transferred). At State, I was openly gay and was offered a bid by several (4) fraternities.... Sigma Nu, Kappa Alpha, SAE and Sigma Chi. Also, I would not have been the first openly gay guy on frat row....in addition to who knows how many closeted guys.

So, alphatausc, please get off your high horse as you do not speak for everyone in the south and are simply spewing your own bigoted hate. Also, it's that type of hate that hurts your brothers, because maybe they're gay and aren't comfortable with their sexuality yet, or they're not simply because they hear that from you all the time.
Don't you know it never happened? He knows more than you do all the way over there in S. Carolina bc he just knows. Thanks for adding more confirmation to what has been SAI, "Every chapter is different. Some may not take a gay may, but some may have no problem at all...even at an SEC school."

AOII

Last edited by AOII Angel; 01-17-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Damn autocorrect
Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCookMS View Post

JDCookMS, thank you for your insight. You are a scholar and a gentleman.