GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,201
0 members and 2,201 guests
No Members online

Old 01-28-2002, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

ebay

okay so we all know of those people selling badges, paddles, and pins on ebay that arent even affiliated with that organization, but has anyone purchased any items in general from ebay.

I am not talking about pins or badges, but just anything.

As some of you know, I am interested in buying the heart tag set from Tiffany & Co., but just a while ago i went to ebay to search and they are selling quite a few of those, and claim they are originals and from tiffany. You could save a lot of money buying them from ebay, because they have some where you can buy them without an actual auction, for like 90 dollars.

I am just wondering if anyone has bought anything from there, and can you return it if in fact its not what they said it was???

I dont really think i would buy my bracelet or necklace from there, but im just wondering if anyone else has bought from ebay.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-28-2002, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Ebay basicly works on the positive/negative feedback system. Ebay has policies regarding selling "fake" items esp when it is said in the item description that it's authentic!
If you seriously want to purchase something like a "tiffany"-- I'd do some investigating of their feedback (if they have any negatives), and if the seller will allow returns & has some sort of guarantee. Be weary of "fishy" and vague descriptions.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I've bought items from E-Bay many times, and have always been happy with my purchases. I always check the feedback from other buyers before I bid on something. This helps me to determine whether or not the seller's reputation is good, and if he/she has ever had any complaints from previous buyers.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

here is the bracelet that i am interested in. For thos of you who have this bracelet, please let me know if its just like yours....
Old 01-28-2002, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

here's a picture of the real braclet from the tiffany's site :

while they do look alike, i would just get the real one. you said you could get it on ebay for $90 - plus shipping and handeling, maybe insurance. thats almost $100 - the one from the store, brand new is $135 - not that much more. plus you know its real and it comes in that fabulous blue box otherwise, there are some good fake ones for cheap if you don't want to spend a lot.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:51 PM

I've had good experiences the few times I've purchased something on Ebay, but unfortunately I can't do that anymore!

They changed the system recently so that your computer has to have "cookies" enabled in order to contact the seller. My computer is an old piece of poop and I am not able to change the settings to accept cookies. I e mailed Ebay explaining this, but I just got a form letter back saying basically, tough, that's the policy and that's how it is!

Too bad, knowing my shopping habits, Ebay could have made some good cash off of me!
Old 01-29-2002, 04:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I have purchased many items off of E-bay and have been pleased. Most of the items were small trinkets like a sunflower charm or my lovely sunflower swizzle sticks (I am a sunflower freak-I LOVE THEM). I also did bid on a Louis V. purse but was outbid-it looked real but who knows? I guess if I were worried about real/fake issues I would get a guarantee

ps what are cookies?
Old 01-29-2002, 06:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xo_sue
I have had really good luck with ebay. I've never tried to buy something that needed to be authentic (like a purse or jewels) but I tried to sell a purse once and no one would buy it unless I could supply the little plastic credit card that came with it for authenticity.

I know Gucci watches and purses come with the credit card- what else does? If Tiffany jewelry does- you could ask for that also.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaChiS2K
I've now bought 2 Kate Spades off of Ebay, each for under $50. They're both leather, so her name is embossed and comes with the care card. Everyone's right, just research the seller and you should be fine

bargain shoppers unite!
Old 01-29-2002, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I do believe eBay has a policy that if the seller has misrepresented the goods (or doesn't send them to you), you're covered.

The site says: "If you've experienced any of these selling misuses, please report offenses to the Investigations link below. Disciplinary action may result in the indefinite suspension of a user's account, temporary suspension, or a formal warning. eBay will consider the circumstances of an alleged offense and the user's trading records before taking action."

"Fraud:
Please contact members before you begin your transaction. Most fraud complaints tend to be misunderstandings about the product, shipping terms, or shipping addresses. You should clarify all of these elements before you bid, and definitely before you send money. However, fraud is a reality of doing business, both on and off the Web, and you should report it to the authorities if it happens in our community."

If they provide a good, clear photo, I would suggest downloading the photo and their description to your own PC, so when you get the item, if it doesn't match, you can go to "the authorities."

I've never had a problem, though. Well, I was annoyed at the AXD I bought a badge from - what was she doing selling it - but at least it went to another sister!